The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toppy
x

Thank you so much for all of your advice, I'm honestly so grateful. You've helped me put my mind at ease, and it's lovely talking to someone who has offers and also gained so much from their gap year! Makes me stop moaning about it :')

Original post by SamEastie
been told Cardiff are sending no more offers so I'm joining here :smile:
applied to Leeds, Sheff, Liverpool and Cardiff. Interviews at Liverpool and Cardiff, but they were both rubbish.
disappointed, but I never even expected 2 interviews so yuno. hoping for better next year (and a better UKCAT!)

Holllla! I had an interview at Liverpool too - again, rubbish. 2 blokes staring me out, and I just **** myself under the pressure (metaphorically, not literally, I would of ran in front of a moving bus if it was literal). I desperately need to improve my UKCAT too! Got 627.5 last time :s-smilie:

Original post by kimsiclez
5 vacancies total! How many vacancies are in your area? I've signed up for notification of vacancies for the last month or so and have only received three notifications since for HCA posts. I just assumed that was the 'normal' number of vacancies available aha. :u: I'm in Dorset, can't exactly say that it's 'desolate', there are plenty of hospitals around!

What!! Are you looking in one tiny area or are you also expanding yourself out a bit, 10 mile radius, that sort of thing? The job i've got this literacy/numeracy test is about an hour and half's journey from my house, but only like 30 minute journey from the city centre. Have you also tried searching for Auxillary Nurse? I didn't realise they were the same thing, till I looked it up, when looking for jobs in my local area.

Original post by Nandos94
x

Also a massive thanks to you for being so patient and answering all of my many questions. I really, really appreciate it. It's helped so much. And is far more encouraging than the moping around i've been doing recently, getting bitchy about having to take a gap year. :grin:
Reply 121
Looks like I'm going to be reapplying, 4 rejections from Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham and Exeter.

Does anyone have any advice about how to improve your personal statement? I'm going to try and get some voluntary work/work experience over the summer after I finish my exams but I'll be doing most stuff after I have sent off my reapplication. So should I write about what I am planning to do on my gap year? Otherwise I can't see my PS being majorly different except maybe rewording and things I've done in the summer.

Also anyone from South Wales got any tips on options for work experience/volunteering, it seems there are so few opportunities here, I've tried a couple of nursing/care homes but they aren't willing to take me on because they don't want to take the time to do all the checks etc :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone know which uni's don't accept reapplicants/dont accept reapplicants who have been rejected post interview?
can't seem to find the info anywhere.
Original post by Jenka
Looks like I'm going to be reapplying, 4 rejections from Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham and Exeter.

Does anyone have any advice about how to improve your personal statement? I'm going to try and get some voluntary work/work experience over the summer after I finish my exams but I'll be doing most stuff after I have sent off my reapplication. So should I write about what I am planning to do on my gap year? Otherwise I can't see my PS being majorly different except maybe rewording and things I've done in the summer.

Also anyone from South Wales got any tips on options for work experience/volunteering, it seems there are so few opportunities here, I've tried a couple of nursing/care homes but they aren't willing to take me on because they don't want to take the time to do all the checks etc :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The main thing I'd emphasise for the PS is reflection upon what you have learnt whilst volunteering / shadowing / being in a leadership role.
Re-reading my PS from last year, I realised I had essentially just listed what I'd done. I had a lot of things in there, but didn't really state what I'd learnt or why my experiences made me suitable for Medicine.
When it came to re-writing it, that's what I focussed on. I didn't actually have much more to put in - just a few gap year plans - but the new structure meant it read much smoother and I feel it was an awful lot better than last year's.

As for care homes, if you're on a gap year, why just volunteer? Perhaps look for some paid work; I spent seven months working full-time in a nursing home. I've left now as I'm going travelling but they've said the door is always open if I need work during the holidays, and it certainly makes you look at things a bit differently.
Reply 124
Original post by TattyBoJangles
The main thing I'd emphasise for the PS is reflection upon what you have learnt whilst volunteering / shadowing / being in a leadership role.
Re-reading my PS from last year, I realised I had essentially just listed what I'd done. I had a lot of things in there, but didn't really state what I'd learnt or why my experiences made me suitable for Medicine.
When it came to re-writing it, that's what I focussed on. I didn't actually have much more to put in - just a few gap year plans - but the new structure meant it read much smoother and I feel it was an awful lot better than last year's.

As for care homes, if you're on a gap year, why just volunteer? Perhaps look for some paid work; I spent seven months working full-time in a nursing home. I've left now as I'm going travelling but they've said the door is always open if I need work during the holidays, and it certainly makes you look at things a bit differently.

Thanks for the advice! Will definitely be looking for work, how did you find the job, on NHS careers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jenka
Thanks for the advice! Will definitely be looking for work, how did you find the job, on NHS careers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem (:

Nah, the nursing home was private. I just sent a speculative email asking if there were any jobs going. They asked me to come to an interview the day after and offered me the job on the spot (:

It was hard word and didn't pay a lot but I wouldn't change what I did. I met some lovely people, learnt a lot about myself and a holiday job's there if I need it!
Original post by Jenka

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that - where any of them post-interview?

Did you try giving it to the P.S. help service on TSR? They were am-ay-zing with mine.

As above individual said, go for some paid work! If you start applying now, you may have something sorted for summer, even if it's not in the NHS, you can stick with it until something better comes along.

You can talk a lot about what your planning on doing in the gap year if your stuck for ideas?
does anyone know which uni's don't accept reapplicants/dont accept reapplicants who have been rejected post interview?

Best to check with the individual unis websites? Don't know where you would find a comprehensive list from :s-smilie:
Reply 127
Original post by ameelia22
Sorry to hear that - where any of them post-interview?

Did you try giving it to the P.S. help service on TSR? They were am-ay-zing with mine.

As above individual said, go for some paid work! If you start applying now, you may have something sorted for summer, even if it's not in the NHS, you can stick with it until something better comes along.

You can talk a lot about what your planning on doing in the gap year if your stuck for ideas?

Best to check with the individual unis websites? Don't know where you would find a comprehensive list from :s-smilie:

Birmingham and Cardiff were post interview.

I didn't know of the PS help service when I applied, but I will make sure I use it this time around, it seems that it's a help :smile:

I have found a volunteer opportunity it's description is
"Volunteers are needed to introduce a variety of activities to older people living in a residential unit, eg sheltered housing and nursing homes. The activities are designed either to maintain fitness levels eg armchair exercises or stimulate the mind eg organising a quiz."
Do you think that would be worth while to do? Because it involves working with elderly in a care environment :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128
Original post by Conscientious
Hello, do anyone know what the deal is with re-applying to a medical school you applied to and were rejected pre-interview? I would like to reapply to BSMS, but not sure what their policy is. Is it a case of contacting the schools independently(i.e. by email) or is this information hidden away on their website? Or does anyone know off the top of their head. Thanks x

Most of them do not pose restrictions on reapplication if you were rejected pre-interview but some of them do.
Is there any specific uni. you want to know about?
The best places to get the info. would be their website FAQ's, reading their policies and perhaps on the safe side dropping an email regarding this.
I tried BSMS so I know their policy, they sent an email saying that BSMS do not pose any restrictions on reapplication and consider your application afresh in the new cycle. But they expect you to submit a new PS.
Reply 129

Sadly, there is no collection anywhere. The main reason for this is their changing policies. Some do not accept reapplicants and others have restrictions on the number of times you can reapply. The best way to know it is from their website FAQ's and policies. Which ones do you want to know about? I'll try to help if I know any of these.
Where did you guys find vaccincies for HCA jobs? I've looked at the nottinghamshire site but can't seem to find HCA or jobs of that type being advertised.
Original post by Richyp22
Where did you guys find vaccincies for HCA jobs? I've looked at the nottinghamshire site but can't seem to find HCA or jobs of that type being advertised.

You have to keep looking Richy, In my area Doncaster i was looking all year round and there was no vacancies then suddenly there was like 5 in march out of no where, some were for internal applicants only though :frown: I still not got a HCA job yet but the vacancies were up! :smile:
Original post by raveen789
You have to keep looking Richy, In my area Doncaster i was looking all year round and there was no vacancies then suddenly there was like 5 in march out of no where, some were for internal applicants only though :frown: I still not got a HCA job yet but the vacancies were up! :smile:

Ok where specifically are you looking, on your trusts website? or private job finders.
Original post by Richyp22
Ok where specifically are you looking, on your trusts website? or private job finders.

NHS Jobs website :biggrin:
Original post by Jenka
Birmingham and Cardiff were post interview.

I didn't know of the PS help service when I applied, but I will make sure I use it this time around, it seems that it's a help :smile:

I have found a volunteer opportunity it's description is
"Volunteers are needed to introduce a variety of activities to older people living in a residential unit, eg sheltered housing and nursing homes. The activities are designed either to maintain fitness levels eg armchair exercises or stimulate the mind eg organising a quiz."
Do you think that would be worth while to do? Because it involves working with elderly in a care environment :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good! Apply and see what happens! I know you mentioned how difficult you were finding it to find jobs / opportunities in your area, so what I would do is, volunteer / take up as many options as i could find / fit in while I wait for something like paid employment opportunity to come. Also, if any posts do come up 'requiring experience in care for at least x months' you could tick that box!

And the bonus bit of throwing it into your personal statement before your app is sent off.
Reply 135
Sounds good! Apply and see what happens! I know you mentioned how difficult you were finding it to find jobs / opportunities in your area, so what I would do is, volunteer / take up as many options as i could find / fit in while I wait for something like paid employment opportunity to come. Also, if any posts do come up 'requiring experience in care for at least x months' you could tick that box!

And the bonus bit of throwing it into your personal statement before your app is sent off.

Good thinking! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
YO HOMIES

I was suddenly acutely aware of this "there are no hca posts in my area" issue - and was wondering if, you had looked at the NHS jobs website, and rather than putting in any key terms, just put in your location, and any salaries up to 20k. This will show all the entry level jobs in your area.

Not many of them will be HCA's but I found loads of other stuff. Over about 2 weeks, I've applied for everything, phlebotomist, therapy assistant, A&E receptionist, Bank Ward Service Officer, Medical Lab Assistant - these are all good jobs, with about the same pay as a HCA, that will give a different view of the NHS.

The other thing is, when your searching for a healthcare assistant, your automatically neglecting loads of other things.

E.G.

Auxiliary Nurse, Clinical Support Worker, Ward Assistant, HCA are all very similar things!

IMO stuff like therapy assistant is something I'd rather do then HCA - (more patient involvement, less bed pan changing!). Get going guys!
Reply 137
YO HOMIES

I was suddenly acutely aware of this "there are no hca posts in my area" issue - and was wondering if, you had looked at the NHS jobs website, and rather than putting in any key terms, just put in your location, and any salaries up to 20k. This will show all the entry level jobs in your area.

Not many of them will be HCA's but I found loads of other stuff. Over about 2 weeks, I've applied for everything, phlebotomist, therapy assistant, A&E receptionist, Bank Ward Service Officer, Medical Lab Assistant - these are all good jobs, with about the same pay as a HCA, that will give a different view of the NHS.

The other thing is, when your searching for a healthcare assistant, your automatically neglecting loads of other things.

E.G.

Auxiliary Nurse, Clinical Support Worker, Ward Assistant, HCA are all very similar things!

IMO stuff like therapy assistant is something I'd rather do then HCA - (more patient involvement, less bed pan changing!). Get going guys!

Hey! I saw you on the Keele thread. They rejected me too :frown: I got 4 rejections so now I am taking a gap year. Have you had offers? Is this your first time applying?

And is it important to have specifically a healthcare related job or can it be anything as long as your working with people? Well thats what I have heard. :smile:
Original post by Doctor123
Hey! I saw you on the Keele thread. They rejected me too :frown: I got 4 rejections so now I am taking a gap year. Have you had offers? Is this your first time applying?

And is it important to have specifically a healthcare related job or can it be anything as long as your working with people? Well thats what I have heard. :smile:

Clearly i've not had offers...

and yes it was my first time.

Nah, you don't need a healthcare related job, as has been said many times over on all work-experience threads, any sort of patient contact is good, caring environment etc, but being able to reflect on it is even better. I was just offering the info for anyone who wanted it.
YO HOMIES

E.G.

Thanks that is so useful!!! found aload of jobs now.

I have to say I'm now getting quite excited about my gap year and reapplying!

Where are you guys thinking of applying? I'm thinking. Exter,plymouth,manchester,newcastle and leeds if the ukcat goes well. If doesn't go to plan BSMS,UAE,liverpool and st georges, maybe a few others. Anybody know of any places that give more points/advantage for having achieved grades?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending