Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuentinM)
    I applied to Leeds, BSMS, Exeter and Keele. And my UKCAT improved from 565 average in year 1 (awful, right?) to just over 680 in my second attempt (I just calculated it again...i miscalculated first time, win!). To be fair, I got a better book to practice from, that had much better advice for handling all the questions. So, for example, i improved on Decision analysis from 480 to 690. I used the ISC Medical UKCAT book (google 600 UKCAT questions) for the second time, its epic.
    Wow!!! What was your score on the 600Q book mock? Really impressed by your improvement. I got 600 last year and this year I'm hoping to improve it drastically lol. You have given me hope!!! Thank you!!

Did you use anything else to practice from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    Wow!!! What was your score on the 600Q book mock? Really impressed by your improvement. I got 600 last year and this year I'm hoping to improve it drastically lol. You have given me hope!!! Thank you!!

Did you use anything else to practice from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! I was pretty impressed, mainly because I pretty much failed the first time...well, by my standards anyway. I had a score of 640 on the 600Q mock, but I think I had some favorable questions in the real thing.

Other than that, I did the online tests they have, and I had UKCAT for dummies, but I wouldn't recommend that book...it doesn't give many extra questions, and they are usually at a lower level than the real thing. One of their decision analysis set of questions was so easy I only got 3-4 wrong, out of 40+ questions.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I was pretty impressed, mainly because I pretty much failed the first time...well, by my standards anyway. I had a score of 640 on the 600Q mock, but I think I had some favorable questions in the real thing.

Other than that, I did the online tests they have, and I had UKCAT for dummies, but I wouldn't recommend that book...it doesn't give many extra questions, and they are usually at a lower level than the real thing. One of their decision analysis set of questions was so easy I only got 3-4 wrong, out of 40+ questions.
    Thanks for the advice

So where will you be applying this year? I hope you smash those exams in january!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!!! I just signed up for a donor card to donate any of my organs after my death. Feels good to know my gap year won't go to waste if I die lol

Anyone else ever considered this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    Hey guys!!! I just signed up for a donor card to donate any of my organs after my death. Feels good to know my gap year won't go to waste if I die lol

Anyone else ever considered this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hope you done more on your gap year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    I am just a nervous about my application, as I understand that many of you are.

I have my A-Levels A*AAA. I have done my UKCAT with 690 as an average.

I was thinking to apply to brighton but i found out that their competition ratio is really high
    Do you think that Illl get an interview with these stats?

PS. where else should I apply

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AhmedDavid)
    Is there a thread on TSR showing how each University chooses applicants for an interview? or will I have to research all Universities.
    Yes, you should research them all
    But it's not too difficult if you do it in three steps (can I apply? should I apply? do I want to apply?). The wiki is a good starting point. Start by checking you have the right GCSE and A level requirements, and check that your application will be competitive by reading 'applying using your strengths'.

If you're asking about the specific issue of reapplying, then the answer depends on why you're reapplying. If you didn't get any offers in the previous cycle, you're free to apply anywhere, just the same as Y13 students. However, be cautious about reapplying to somewhere which rejected you after interview - some will reject you automatically, and at the others you'd be very wise to figure out why they rejected you and assess whether your application has demonstrably improved. However, if you are reapplying because you missed your grades and did resits after Y13, then your options are more limited - see wiki article on 'resit policies'. HTH - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple and gold)
    hey guys,

I was thinking to apply to brighton but i found out that their competition ratio is really high

Thanks
    All competition ratios are high - the whole field is very competitive! But your academics and UKCAT scores are well above average, and you could apply to most places except maybe Newcastle/Durham (the cutoff was 695 last year). You'd be ranked highly at Nottingham, fx. Check out the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths'. Good luck!

Btw, you're also posting in the Y13 thread - this thread is for people who are re-applying for a place on a medicine course. You get better answers in forums if you post in the right thread

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

Thanks
    To be honest, its not all about your academics...which btw, are great. Its also about your personal statement, as that reveals your personal qualities, which are probably more important considering you want a career in medicine. BSMS is especially keen on people with good PS.

ReputationRep:
    x
    you're not the only one re-reapplying again

I've had an awesome first gap year but doing 12 hour shifts is a bit too much so i resigned and looking for any work now which is less stressful and easy hours...preferabbly part time as I've saved up quite a lot already!

ReputationRep:
    How exactly are you guys going to mention that you're taking a gap year on your PS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Affliction)
    How exactly are you guys going to mention that you're taking a gap year on your PS?
    If I get a job then I'm just gonna push it in lol for example "throughout my gap yet I will continue to be working as a X"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    All competition ratios are high - the whole field is very competitive! But your academics and UKCAT scores are well above average, and you could apply to most places except maybe Newcastle/Durham (the cutoff was 695 last year). You'd be ranked highly at Nottingham, fx. Check out the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths'. Good luck!

Btw, you're also posting in the Y13 thread - this thread is for people who are re-applying for a place on a medicine course. You get better answers in forums if you post in the right thread
    I think you misunderstood me, I am reapplying for medicine this year while taking a gap year.

thank you for your advice are there any others unis that would rank me highly based on my stats?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks. When I got rejected from Exeter, they changed my UCAS to give me an offer on their clinical science course, which I'm starting next week, and the top few people get offered an interview...so all I've got to do is nail my January exams! Still, I get to reapply to other uni's as well through UCAS.
    Just one note of caution... some med schools will not consider UCAS applications from candidates who are part-way through another course. Fx, Nottingham says "Q. If I have started another degree course and I want to apply for medicine, would I be considered? A. No, we will only consider students who are in their final year or have completed their degree course before they apply." But I don't know all their policies - you'd have to check their websites, or ask them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikoB)
    you're not the only one re-reapplying again

I've had an awesome first gap year but doing 12 hour shifts is a bit too much so i resigned and looking for any work now which is less stressful and easy hours...preferabbly part time as I've saved up quite a lot already!
    Same as you! except I was a bum for my first gap year but similarly I did not feel ready for medicine. Im happy to take another year off and will deffinitly keep occupied. But going through the stress of yet another UCAS cycle is painful, Im making a brand new PS and it's really stressing me out But im happy to know that if I do get a place this year, I won't be the only 20 year old dude in halls lol

ReputationRep:
    Just one note of caution... some med schools will not consider UCAS applications from candidates who are part-way through another course. Fx, Nottingham says "Q. If I have started another degree course and I want to apply for medicine, would I be considered? A. No, we will only consider students who are in their final year or have completed their degree course before they apply." But I don't know all their policies - you'd have to check their websites, or ask them.
    There's a wiki page for this.

ReputationRep:
    Did not know that...wasn't considering Nottingham, but thanks for the heads up. I was going to check whether they are ok with people transferring though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    Same as you! except I was a bum for my first gap year but similarly I did not feel ready for medicine. Im happy to take another year off and will deffinitly keep occupied. But going through the stress of yet another UCAS cycle is painful, Im making a brand new PS and it's really stressing me out But im happy to know that if I do get a place this year, I won't be the only 20 year old dude in halls lol
    Haha same!
    One doctor I know started medicine at 32!
    Plus with uni, there will be so many people there, of all age ranges

ReputationRep:
    I think you misunderstood me, I am reapplying for medicine this year while taking a gap year.
    thank you for your advice are there any others unis that would rank me highly based on my stats?
    thanks
    Ah, you mean I should have posted the 'right forum' comment in the Y13 thread instead?

But seriously, there's not enough info to say where you should apply - without subjects and grades, it's not even possible to figure out where you can apply. But fortunately, the wiki has all the info you need, and that's where I'm going to direct you.

Could anyone familiar with Leicesters admissions process help me out please...
    Relating to the scoring system, The document titled 'How we score applications for the A100 Course 2014' reads as follows:

'An additional point for each A grade in the best 3 AS subjects including Chemistry, Biology and one other subject, up to the 30 points maximum total.'

'Additional points will be available for applicants who have already obtained A Levels. An additional point for each A* grade in the best 3 A Level subjects, including Chemistry, up to the 30 points maximum total... The AS results of applicants who have completed their A Levels will not be taken into account in the assessment of academic attainment.'

My GCSE scores would give me a total of 28/30 points and had I applied for 2013 entry with my AS results of AAAA I would have achieved the maximum 30 points, am I correct in my understanding that having completed my A levels with A*AAA I now only qualify for 29 points? If so, does anyone know the reasoning behind this? Thanks

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.