The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by MOO768
Do you think i got a change at manchester?
GCSE: 1A*, 5 as, 4 bs
Already achieved AAAa
Ukcat: 665

Definitely with the grades. But you can ever be sure with the UKCAT as that will depend on everyone else applying. I really wanna apply to Manchester this time :frown: if I get anything over last years cut off (662) then il be applying :smile:

I went on the KAPLAN course and my teacher said that its very likely that the cut offs for UKCAT will fall because of the level of difficulty presented by VR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kc7
Heads up for Manchester, they told me a few weeks ago me they're planning on scrapping their interview style this year, no more group interviews, just a pure MMI now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:party2: I was dreading having to do a group interview! :ahee:
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Thanks for the advice :smile:
4th wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tomorrow :redface:
I know this has probably been asked a million times, so I'm really sorry to ask again, but I can't find the answer among the 90 pages - how similar have people found the UKCAT official practice tests to the actual exams? Did your exam scores reflect your practice test scores in any way?
Reply 1824
Original post by Toppy
I'm happy to try to answer questions by the way!

I'm going to Southampton in September after the gap year I'm taking this year.

I had 4 rejections last year and also managed to cock up my A Levels by getting A*AB (these are the most irritating grades to get. Over-performing in one and losing out on the other don't cancel each other out apart from at Keele.) So I was a reapplicant AND a resitter. I resat my B in the January session and put it up to an A - meeting my conditional offer.

So far during my gap year I've volunteered at a care home and I now work as a HCA at a local outpatients department.

I got 2 offers last year and then did the same as you and got A*AB so didn't get in! Annoyingly there are no January resits in 2014 so have to resit the B in June :frown: but was wondering, where did you re-apply to that accepted that re-sit? My 1st choice was Liverpool which luckily accepts resit applicants so I'll defo apply there..
Reply 1825
Original post by lovelycup7
I know this has probably been asked a million times, so I'm really sorry to ask again, but I can't find the answer among the 90 pages - how similar have people found the UKCAT official practice tests to the actual exams? Did your exam scores reflect your practice test scores in any way?

i found the practices WAY WAY x100000 harder than the real thing. in practice maths sections i wasn't getting past question 12 then in the real thing scored 750.
Original post by kc7
Heads up for Manchester, they told me a few weeks ago me they're planning on scrapping their interview style this year, no more group interviews, just a pure MMI now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope it's still 3 stations! I heard leeds is like 8 :O that would be exhausting!
Reply 1827
Original post by MOO768
Do you think i got a change at manchester?
GCSE: 1A*, 5 as, 4 bs
Already achieved AAAa
Ukcat: 665

You can always apply and hope for the best. Have you looked at belfast? If u've achieved AAAa, you get max points for the academic screening. I will be applying myself but i'm a bit worried since I am a man of colour.
Original post by soulbaby
i found the practices WAY WAY x100000 harder than the real thing. in practice maths sections i wasn't getting past question 12 then in the real thing scored 750.

Ahhhhhhhhhh that it such a relief to hear!! So so so happy to hear that!!
Congrats on your score by the way! 750 in QR is outstanding! How did you do otherwise? And where are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by raveen789
Hope it's still 3 stations! I heard leeds is like 8 :O that would be exhausting!

Dundee has ten :p:

It's actually quite fun, though. And I found it useful as we were given some scenarios the other day in a lecture and they were the same sort of style as the questions asked at some of the stations. Certainly makes you think more, but once you're past the first few stations it's fine :smile: I don't think 3 or 4 stations is really enough to get settled in to the style.
Original post by Shaimaa95
thank you, do you think the cut off will go up??

Original post by NikoB
Cut offs usually rise :/
For Bart's and Leicester, the most competitive students will surpass the cut off by a good margin.

Historically, cutoffs don't always rise, although last year I didn't notice any going down. I'm wondering what will happen to the cutoffs at PS-heavy and UKCAT-heavy med schools this year, now that Southampton has switched from the former to the latter. Arguably, there'll be fewer places in PS-heavy med schools and their thresholds will go up, while there'll be more places at UKCAT-heavy med schools and their thresholds will go down. But that's just my theory, and I have not idea about what the delta's might be.
Original post by mubashir9995
All these people are saying don't worry about the SJT section, have they asked universities about this, or universities stated this specifically about this on their websites?

Some med schools may use SJT as a decider for candidates on the borderline, but it seems that most have no plans to use it.
Original post by E=mc२
Hi, How do you write personal statement if your applying to different courses? For e.g I want to apply for both biomedical science and physical therapy . Do I generalise and find a similarity in between the two ? These two courses particularly appeal to me and I am not putting neither of them as a last choice.

If you want to be successful in an application to do medicine, focus entirely on that. Your 5th choice (biomed) will understand your intentions, so there is no need to mention biomed anywhere in your PS. I followed that strategy, and got a biomed offer within a few weeks of completing my UCAS form. Good luck!
Original post by ynm1
OKAY LADS! I achieved AAAa in my a-levels and suppose I achieve 700+ in my UKCAT, will it make any sense to apply to Barts or Kingsy?

Original post by MX123
GCSE: A*AAABBB
A Levels: A*A*A*b (chem bio maths and AS history
UKCAT: 720 band 1
so far Aberdeen, Barts, Keele just dont know the last one...

For Barts you should check your UCAS tariff. Last year's threshold was 460, but the stalking pages only show one candidate getting in with a score below 530. Good luck!

Original post by Shaimaa95
Hey, does General Studies a level count towards your ucas points?

If you mean for the Barts tariff, then yes. But GS won't form part of any offer they make.
Original post by ynm1
OK, my stats are A*A*A*A*BBBBBC and 2 distinctions at GCSEs, AAAa at A-level and yet do the UKCAT. So far I've decided that I will apply to Leeds, Leicester and Belfast. Anyone have any objections or know which one should be my last uni?

Leeds scores your GCSEs and your AS grades and gives you the higher of the two scores, which is used during the ranking process. Tbh, I doubt your GCSE score is good enough, but you should check with them about your AS's, or see if they score achieved grades and how far you'd be away from max points if they do.
Original post by BethanSalmon95
Wondering if anyone can give me some valuable advice!
I am reapplying for medicine again this year and am absolutely terrified of not getting in again after working so hard!! :frown:
I got AABC at AS level, and knowing I had to raise my game I managed to get AAA at A2 in Bio Chem and Sociology. This left me with AAAc. How important are my AS results? My overall UKCAT score is 2640.
I'm a volunteer at a care home and have just yesterday been offered a job as a carer there as a result. I also have a job as a waitress. I have 3 weeks of work experience.
I was a "house music captain" in school and took part in a World Challenge expedition.
I really feel my application is completely improved from last year but am still scared it is not competitive enough, although I don't know what else I can give.
My school UCAS deadline is in a week.
I want to apply to Cardiff Liverpool Leeds and Dundee.
So the classic question I am asking... am I good enough?

You can certainly get into medicine with those stats, but you should check the following wiki articles...

'GCSE requirements' and 'A level requirements', to be sure you're offering the right subjects and grades

'UKCAT' to check how various med schools use UKCAT scores

'applying using your strengths' tells you where you should/shouldn't be considering (ie, where you will/won't be competitive)

HTH, and good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AhmedDavid
Does anyone think more Unis will allow resit applicants without extentuating circumstances for 2015 entry. I got 720UKCAT but failed my AS-Levels so resiting Year 12.
I got CCCDE in Maths Chemistry Gen studies FMaths Physics

Original post by AhmedDavid
Thanks for this, really helpful and yes I have already resat the year. I came in on the first day and caused a bit of a hassle sorting me out to yr12 lessons; and another reason why I choose to resit is because as you can see among the CCCDE In Chem Maths Gen studies FMaths and Physics
I dont do Biology. I would need to pick AS & A2 Biology in a year and probs drop Physics & FMaths to expand the unis I can apply to.

I'll be honest - this looks tough. The norm is that successful students take 4 AS subjects and 3 A2 subjects over two years of sixth form, typically achieving AAA or better. The two year norm ensures that all students have handled the same workloads, as anyone taking longer could have an advantage over his/her peers. As a result, any student taking resits after Y13 will typically be considered only by 4 med schools - the others will normally reject (except perhaps in the case of a re-applicant who had just missed his/her grades) - see wiki article on 'resit policies'. I don't know the policies for Y12 resitters, but I suspect that few will consider applications without extenuating circumstances. You'll have to ask them directly - you'll not get definitive answers on TSR for non-standard scenarios, as each med school has its own policies for dealing with non-standard cases.

If you do succeed in finding med schools that will consider you, you are right that changing your subjects will potentially make you eligible at more places. Biology is a good subject to have, after chemistry, and fmaths is not accepted by some med schools. Good luck!
Do you like answering questions by any chance? :wink:
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Do you like answering questions by any chance? :wink:

:lol: I wish I had his enthusiasm
Original post by manupalace
:lol: I wish I had his enthusiasm

You're telling me!

Everyone should definitely apply to St Andrews, just sayin'. Last week we had Hillary Clinton, this week we have Hugh Grant (probably) and some others here for some golf thing. Definitely provides a study distraction.

Quick Reply

Latest