Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikoB)
    How was the manch interview? Was it tricky? The group interview is certaintly going to be interesting!
    Heads up for Manchester, they told me a few weeks ago me they're planning on scrapping their interview style this year, no more group interviews, just a pure MMI now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if anyone can give me some valuable advice!

I am reapplying for medicine again this year and am absolutely terrified of not getting in again after working so hard!!

I got AABC at AS level, and knowing I had to raise my game I managed to get AAA at A2 in Bio Chem and Sociology. This left me with AAAc.

How important are my AS results?

My overall UKCAT score is 2640.

I'm a volunteer at a care home and have just yesterday been offered a job as a carer there as a result. I also have a job as a waitress.
    I have 3 weeks of work experience.

I was a "house music captain" in school and took part in a World Challenge expedition.

I really feel my application is completely improved from last year but am still scared it is not competitive enough, although I don't know what else I can give.
    My school UCAS deadline is in a week.

I want to apply to Cardiff Liverpool Leeds and Dundee.

So the classic question I am asking... am I good enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc7)
    Heads up for Manchester, they told me a few weeks ago me they're planning on scrapping their interview style this year, no more group interviews, just a pure MMI now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's promising, the group interview imo isn't a great representation of teamwork, there's an edge of competitiveness which will skew the results,

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone

Just about to send off my UCAS and thought I might get people opinions on choices... AHHH Its just so hard to pick!! Im an Occupational Therapist with 2years post qualifying experience and a pretty ok personal statement with volunteering bits and different placement experience but I only managed to get 675 on the UKCAT! I was planning on the graduate entry but am thinking now that Id have a much better chance at the 5year. was going with
    1. Southampton 4year
    2. Leicester 4year
    3. Warwick 4year
    4. Southampton 5year

From your experince am I being naive??? And if so has anyone got any suggestions on unis that look for experince more than ukcat???
    Reall appreciate any feedback!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OT23)
    Hey Everyone

Just about to send off my UCAS and thought I might get people opinions on choices... AHHH Its just so hard to pick!! Im an Occupational Therapist with 2years post qualifying experience and a pretty ok personal statement with volunteering bits and different placement experience but I only managed to get 675 on the UKCAT! I was planning on the graduate entry but am thinking now that Id have a much better chance at the 5year. was going with
    1. Southampton 4year
    2. Leicester 4year
    3. Warwick 4year
    4. Southampton 5year

From your experince am I being naive??? And if so has anyone got any suggestions on unis that look for experince more than ukcat???
    Reall appreciate any feedback!!!
    You're better asking this in the graduate medicine thread as all of us here are school leavers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    I have just got my login today so il be starting those soon! Have you attempted any mocks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've done mocks 1-4, and I've had a bite of a range of results. But I actually lost quite a bit of my progress and didn't get to do all sections the first time round, because I wasn't using a wired connection So I'd advise you to use a wired connection from the start if you can! They will reset the tests for you, but it's really frustrating when you lose your progress cos you can't go through your answers.
    When's your exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovelycup7)
    I've done mocks 1-4, and I've had a bite of a range of results. But I actually lost quite a bit of my progress and didn't get to do all sections the first time round, because I wasn't using a wired connection So I'd advise you to use a wired connection from the start if you can! They will reset the tests for you, but it's really frustrating when you lose your progress cos you can't go through your answers.
    When's your exam?
    Thanks for the advice
    4th wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think i got a change at manchester?
    GCSE: 1A*, 5 as, 4 bs
    Already achieved AAAa
    Ukcat: 665

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc7)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I cant find any details of the mmi on Manchesters website, where did you get this info?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MOO768)
    Already achieved AAAa
    Definitely with the grades. But you can ever be sure with the UKCAT as that will depend on everyone else applying. I really wanna apply to Manchester this time if I get anything over last years cut off (662) then il be applying

I went on the KAPLAN course and my teacher said that its very likely that the cut offs for UKCAT will fall because of the level of difficulty presented by VR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc7)

Posted from TSR Mobile

:party2: I was dreading having to do a group interview! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    Thanks for the advice
    4th wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I know this has probably been asked a million times, so I'm really sorry to ask again, but I can't find the answer among the 90 pages - how similar have people found the UKCAT official practice tests to the actual exams? Did your exam scores reflect your practice test scores in any way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toppy)
    I'm happy to try to answer questions by the way!

I'm going to Southampton in September after the gap year I'm taking this year.

I had 4 rejections last year and also managed to **** up my A Levels by getting A*AB (these are the most irritating grades to get. Over-performing in one and losing out on the other don't cancel each other out apart from at Keele.) So I was a reapplicant AND a resitter. I resat my B in the January session and put it up to an A - meeting my conditional offer.

So far during my gap year I've volunteered at a care home and I now work as a HCA at a local outpatients department.

I got 2 offers last year and then did the same as you and got A*AB so didn't get in! Annoyingly there are no January resits in 2014 so have to resit the B in June but was wondering, where did you re-apply to that accepted that re-sit? My 1st choice was Liverpool which luckily accepts resit applicants so I'll defo apply there..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovelycup7)
    I know this has probably been asked a million times, so I'm really sorry to ask again, but I can't find the answer among the 90 pages - how similar have people found the UKCAT official practice tests to the actual exams? Did your exam scores reflect your practice test scores in any way?

i found the practices WAY WAY x100000 harder than the real thing. in practice maths sections i wasn't getting past question 12 then in the real thing scored 750.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc7)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hope it's still 3 stations! I heard leeds is like 8 :O that would be exhausting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MOO768)
    Already achieved AAAa
    You can always apply and hope for the best. Have you looked at belfast? If u've achieved AAAa, you get max points for the academic screening. I will be applying myself but i'm a bit worried since I am a man of colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulbaby)
    i found the practices WAY WAY x100000 harder than the real thing. in practice maths sections i wasn't getting past question 12 then in the real thing scored 750.
    Ahhhhhhhhhh that it such a relief to hear!! So so so happy to hear that!!
    Congrats on your score by the way! 750 in QR is outstanding! How did you do otherwise? And where are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    Hope it's still 3 stations! I heard leeds is like 8 :O that would be exhausting!
    Dundee has ten :p:

It's actually quite fun, though. And I found it useful as we were given some scenarios the other day in a lecture and they were the same sort of style as the questions asked at some of the stations. Certainly makes you think more, but once you're past the first few stations it's fine I don't think 3 or 4 stations is really enough to get settled in to the style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaimaa95)
    thank you, do you think the cut off will go up??
    (Original post by NikoB)
    Cut offs usually rise :/
    For Bart's and Leicester, the most competitive students will surpass the cut off by a good margin.
    Historically, cutoffs don't always rise, although last year I didn't notice any going down. I'm wondering what will happen to the cutoffs at PS-heavy and UKCAT-heavy med schools this year, now that Southampton has switched from the former to the latter. Arguably, there'll be fewer places in PS-heavy med schools and their thresholds will go up, while there'll be more places at UKCAT-heavy med schools and their thresholds will go down. But that's just my theory, and I have not idea about what the delta's might be.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.