The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

And where is everyone getting their PS checked from? TSR personal statement checker? College tutors? Doctors/ Current medical students?
And did you guys use any type of resources to to write your PS? Like you can use medify, Kaplan, 600Q book, ukcathelp.org etc for UKCAT, is there anything like that we can use for PS help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mutlibd1
liverpool accept retake w/o circumstances. as do lancaster aswell as plymouth and exeter. For live/lanc you need to reflect on your need to resit, like two lines in the ps, possibly backed by a good reference.
Go to the personal statement library for medicine at find the 97th personal statement. its from someone who got in recently w.o mitigating circumstances, you can see what they require in your ps.
Hope this helps

Thanks - I'd seen that PS before, but others may find it useful. It's an unusual case - he'd applied unsuccessfully for a foundation course, and then taken Chemistry from scratch after Y13 in order to apply for A100 courses. As such, he wasn't a normal resit case. Still, it may be worth adding Liverpool/Lancaster to the list I gave earlier.
Original post by mutlibd1
x

Wow thank you for all of that! I'll definitely keep it in mind. The thing is, I used the 600Q book last year and I didn't do very well in VR and AR, my average came out as 657.5
Original post by Dr.Ugs
St George's will if you meet their contextual criteria! Check their site :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just checked and it says:
If your predicted/actual grades are between BBCb and AABb your application will
be considered in relation to the average A-Level point score per student at your
school/college.
You must still meet an average A in the top eight subjects in
GCSEs.
I have neither BBCb or a college with a low average A-level point score per student :frown: Thank you for your help though.
Reply 1863
Original post by Rumschpringe
Wow thank you for all of that! I'll definitely keep it in mind. The thing is, I used the 600Q book last year and I didn't do very well in VR and AR, my average came out as 657.5

I just checked and it says: I have neither BBCb or a college with a low average A-level point score per student :frown: Thank you for your help though.

You missed out UEA. They consider resitters and you can resit all three but your estimates have to be A*s :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1864
Original post by mubashir9995
Hey guys, will you be writing stuff like 'Having been unsuccessful previously, I am even more determined.... Etc' or are people not including anything at all about their gap years in their PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm i might write something bout being a re applicant because in itself it does show some desirable characteristics but i'm not sure. Maybe it would work well to lead into what you've doen this year to improve etc :smile:
Original post by Dr.Ugs
You missed out UEA. They consider resitters and you can resit all three but your estimates have to be A*s :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heyy,

I just wanted to ask are newcastle and durham 2 different unis of medicine. Can I apply yo both and do they have the same requirements?
Reply 1866
Original post by sport999
Heyy,

I just wanted to ask are newcastle and durham 2 different unis of medicine. Can I apply yo both and do they have the same requirements?

Yes they are two different universities but they operate a joint medical course. You can apply to both and their requirements in regard to the UKCAT are exactly the same, they use the same cut off. :smile:
Original post by PG593
Yes they are two different universities but they operate a joint medical course. You can apply to both and their requirements in regard to the UKCAT are exactly the same, they use the same cut off. :smile:

Are you sure you can apply for both A100 courses as my career advisor told me you can only apply to newcastle.
Are you sure you can apply for both A100 courses as my career advisor told me you can only apply to newcastle.

Generally, career advisors know next to nothing.

You definitely can, that's what I'm doing :smile: I went to the open day last year and they said you could apply for both but it will take up 2 choices. I think your careers advisor is saying that because when you put your choices in on UCAS you have to select Newcastle university both times and then choose the 2 different campuses if that makes sense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1870
Original post by ynm1
I will be applying to St. Georges, Leeds, Belfast and one more. The area I live in and my school is dominated with asians and so I'm not used to interacting with white people.

what you get in a levels, ukcat etc?
Reply 1871
Original post by TattyBoJangles

LOL!
Reply 1872
Heyy,

I'm not an applicant at either but from what I know they are two separate unis but you can only pick Newcastle or Durham or either (ie D or N or you don't mind which as your application will be considered by either) . Chek the website for more info. Things may have changed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't miss them out either :lol: They only consider resitters who achieved a minimum of ABB in the first sitting, but only one of the predictions have to be an A*. It says so on their website:

A Level Resits
Applicants with less than ABB at first sitting will not be considered. Applicants who are repeating all or part of any A level (or who have taken their A levels over more than 2 years) are expected to achieve A* in at least one of the subjects...

I actually sent an email out to every single medical school in the UK a few weeks ago, and the only ones who gave a positive response specific to my stats were Exeter, Liverpool and Lancaster.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TattyBoJangles

This made me :lol: so true!!!

In truth though its not funny, they can actually do a lot of harm because applicants understandably trust them so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you NEED to take Biology for A Level to get in to a med course
Original post by the-anonymous-me
Do you NEED to take Biology for A Level to get in to a med course

You must have it to at least AS level but if you want a wider range and I mean wider range of med schools!!..I suggest you do the full A-level.
Original post by NikoB
You must have it to at least AS level but if you want a wider range and I mean wider range of med schools!!..I suggest you do the full A-level.

K thanks, I was just wondering cause I prefer Physics over Biology but I love Chemistry so I'll probably take Biology till end of Year 12 then decide whether to take it on to A2 or not
Original post by manupalace
This made me :lol: so true!!!

In truth though its not funny, they can actually do a lot of harm because applicants understandably trust them so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's a shame really.

I took to writing up a whole thing on medicine applications and gave it to my head of sixth form to show the current applicants. Some of the stuff is now probably out of date as some admissions have changed, but I'm hoping it's more useful than the advice he used to give out!
He meant well, but he really didn't have a clue and based all his facts off the HEAP Guide (I think that's what it's called) and kept telling people that some unis accept AAB/ABB (he was looking at the bit for the extended programme, or whatever it's called).
With Newcastle, if you put (N) do you generally get given Newcastle (say if you got an offer) or can they change it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending