Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manupalace)
    Depends where you are applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was thinking Leeds and Sheffield?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Does any body know what Newcastle'a UKCAT cut off was last year?

EDIT: never mind I found it and it was 2780

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone okay, I'm thinking of applying to Cardiff, Aberdeen, Exeter and UEA or Liverpool with 665 ukcat, 7a* 5a gcse and AAAa at alevel. do you think my choices are wise?

ReputationRep:
    Reapplying this year with AAAa, 782.5 UKCAT, 5 A*, 2 A B and C at IGCSE. Anywhere I should avoid other then UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge, Birmingham plus the ones I applied for last year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrAli786)
    Not when re-applying

one gap year is enough. i'm wanting to put pharmacy but not sure which university.
    LOL

hmm you should try checking on here- I think there is a page which lists all the unis offering pharmacy and tells you more about the course and requirements etc.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

As a follower of this thread , i really appreciate the help that everyone has given me

I just need some help on my choices

I have A*AAA in geogrpahy, Biology, Chemistry and Physics achieved and am on a gap year as I am only 17 right now.
    I have achieved 773 average in my UKCAT.

I was wondering what uni's should I consider that will give me an automatic interview based on my UKCAT score?

Thanks and any help will be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Holla to all those working in healthcare posts at the minute:

After a particularly crazed shift, I almost fell into the office where the FY1 doctor was, about to burst into tears or flames (not sure which) and being the lovely man that he is, he sat me down, opened a tin of chocolates and asked if it was my TOM (something I am now well affiliated with, thanks to this thread).

It wasn't my TOM. I was just feeling really run down and sick of the work and today a nurse was being a particular ***** to me. Anyway, I asked if he thought it would make a difference if I quit working as HCA after only 3 months rather than 6, would they look at my application differently or not...

He basically said, as an undergrad, working as a HCA for 3 months is worth quite a lot and is what 90% of the other applicants won't have. It's experience that will shine through in my interview and now it's on my personal statement - that's what really counts. That it's highly unlikely that they'll even bother asking how long I was there for and it would only be something to consider if I was looking at graduate entry. He then told me how he used to work as a HCA post grad, pre-A101 and knew how *******s the job could be. He then advised me as an undergrad to quit after 3 months and just go and enjoy myself (which is a relief because that is the exact sort of advise I wanted).

Can anyone second that opinion? It makes logical sense to me but I'm wondering if anyone has known of any experiences that directly relate to working as a HCA and a university questioning the period of employment??

ReputationRep:
    Off topic but.... Is anyone here also sick to death of the whole UCAS process for Medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    Holla to all those working in healthcare posts at the minute:

After a particularly crazed shift, I almost fell into the office where the FY1 doctor was, about to burst into tears or flames (not sure which) and being the lovely man that he is, he sat me down, opened a tin of chocolates and asked if it was my TOM (something I am now well affiliated with, thanks to this thread).

It wasn't my TOM. I was just feeling really run down and sick of the work and today a nurse was being a particular ***** to me. Anyway, I asked if he thought it would make a difference if I quit working as HCA after only 3 months rather than 6, would they look at my application differently or not...

He basically said, as an undergrad, working as a HCA for 3 months is worth quite a lot and is what 90% of the other applicants won't have. It's experience that will shine through in my interview and now it's on my personal statement - that's what really counts. That it's highly unlikely that they'll even bother asking how long I was there for and it would only be something to consider if I was looking at graduate entry. He then told me how he used to work as a HCA post grad, pre-A101 and knew how *******s the job could be. He then advised me as an undergrad to quit after 3 months and just go and enjoy myself (which is a relief because that is the exact sort of advise I wanted).

Can anyone second that opinion? It makes logical sense to me but I'm wondering if anyone has known of any experiences that directly relate to working as a HCA and a university questioning the period of employment??

Hey I'm also working as a HCA and have talked to quite a few unis on the phone and they all said they really value 6 months as a HCA so maybe you could stick it out till Christmas ? The nurses really shouldn't be treating you badly it sounds totally unacceptable can you talk to someone about this or maybe change wards ? I'm loving doing it at the moment and all the nurses are lovely and seem to really appreciate someone to do all the crap jobs so its definently not meant to be like it is for you ! Also if you manage 6 months then you can then apply fr bank jobs as a hca which might be really helpful if you ever needed some cash ?

But the FY1 is right you are already above 90 % of applicants with your 3 months so of its making you really sad then it's not worth doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ynm1)
    Off topic but.... Is anyone here also sick to death of the whole UCAS process for Medicine?
    Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ynm1)
    I am a little having done it 3 times, once for something else and now twice for medicine! Hopefully it will be worthwhile though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumble333)
    Hey I'm also working as a HCA and have talked to quite a few unis on the phone and they all said they really value 6 months as a HCA so maybe you could stick it out till Christmas ? The nurses really shouldn't be treating you badly it sounds totally unacceptable can you talk to someone about this or maybe change wards ? I'm loving doing it at the moment and all the nurses are lovely and seem to really appreciate someone to do all the crap jobs so its definently not meant to be like it is for you ! Also if you manage 6 months then you can then apply fr bank jobs as a hca which might be really helpful if you ever needed some cash ?

But the FY1 is right you are already above 90 % of applicants with your 3 months so of its making you really sad then it's not worth doing
    Hey, thanks for your reply.

I'm sure all the universities are like 6 months HCA work = totally awesome.
    What I'm asking is how much less awesome will it be if I only did 3 months? Will they even notice?

Some of the nurses are on a real power trip, is the issue. Too superior to help with the washes and stuff. So there I am, on my own, trying to roll an 14 stone patient on my own, hold them there in position on their side, while using one hand to wash their back and bottom, clean up and take away all the soiled stuff, put a new pad on underneath them, and replace the bed sheet underneath them. **** my back.

Yep, bank work does sound handy and definitely something I would consider if I got round to 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaimaa95)
    Hey everyone okay, I'm thinking of applying to Cardiff, Aberdeen, Exeter and UEA or Liverpool with 665 ukcat, 7a* 5a gcse and AAAa at alevel. do you think my choices are wise?
    I applied for Cardiff and Aberdeen last year with exactly the same UKCAT but much lower GCSE's (3A*'s 6A's 2B's). Got an interview at Aberdeen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CazzaBomBazza)
    I applied for Cardiff and Aberdeen last year with exactly the same UKCAT but much lower GCSE's (3A*'s 6A's 2B's). Got an interview at Aberdeen
    Aberdeen have changed their admissions policy since you applied; UKCAT is worth quite a bit more now, GCSEs aren't being considered.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for your reply.

I'm sure all the universities are like 6 months HCA work = totally awesome.
    What I'm asking is how much less awesome will it be if I only did 3 months? Will they even notice?

Some of the nurses are on a real power trip, is the issue. Too superior to help with the washes and stuff. So there I am, on my own, trying to roll an 14 stone patient on my own, hold them there in position on their side, while using one hand to wash their back and bottom, clean up and take away all the soiled stuff, put a new pad on underneath them, and replace the bed sheet underneath them. **** my back.

Yep, bank work does sound handy and definitely something I would consider if I got round to 6 months.
    I can definitely empathise with you on the "superior nurses"

I used to work in ICU so I never did the washes or cleaning poo etc but I did have to help roll which is okay but when we 're short staffed and the unit is full, it's tough rolling all the patients twice, sometimes 3 times a day. It's worse on the night shifts: roll at 9PMish, then again at 3AMish(waking the patient up :rolleyes:) then roll again at 6AMish

Also when a patient leaves or passes away the bed space has to be cleaned. At first I didn't mind but when you have 2-3 discharges and there are senior nurses, they won't help. It's so annoying. It takes me 45mins to clean a whole bed space on my own.

I could have continued working till this day as a HCA but i think 9 months is enough for me :lol:

Rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikoB)
    I can definitely empathise with you on the "superior nurses"

I used to work in ICU so I never did the washes or cleaning poo etc but I did have to help roll which is okay but when we 're short staffed and the unit is full, it's tough rolling all the patients twice, sometimes 3 times a day. It's worse on the night shifts: roll at 9PMish, then again at 3AMish(waking the patient up :rolleyes:) then roll again at 6AMish

Also when a patient leaves or passes away the bed space has to be cleaned. At first I didn't mind but when you have 2-3 discharges and there are senior nurses, they won't help. It's so annoying. It takes me 45mins to clean a whole bed space on my own.

I could have continued working till this day as a HCA but i think 9 months is enough for me :lol:

Rant
    Hahah, glad someone knows what I'm talking about, although clearly it's not so bad elsewhere!

Cleaning beds and washing dead bodies takes me a good hour when i'm on my own. There is meant to be at least 1 nurse and 1 hca to each bay (6 beds and 1 side room) in the morning at my hospital. So when my nurse is on one of her power trips and is barking orders on the occasional time I see her, rather than helping, and I have 6 beds to change, 5-7 patients that are "all care" (basically bed bound / can't wash themselves even with a bowl of water in front of them) who will need changing, washing and wiping, then all their care charts filled out...I am one stressed out bunny.

Haha 9 months is plenty!

Any thoughts on 3 months?

ReputationRep:
    Hahah, glad someone knows what I'm talking about, although clearly it's not so bad elsewhere!

Cleaning beds and washing dead bodies takes me a good hour when i'm on my own. There is meant to be at least 1 nurse and 1 hca to each bay (6 beds and 1 side room) in the morning at my hospital. So when my nurse is on one of her power trips and is barking orders on the occasional time I see her, rather than helping, and I have 6 beds to change, 5-7 patients that are "all care" (basically bed bound / can't wash themselves even with a bowl of water in front of them) who will need changing, washing and wiping, then all their care charts filled out...I am one stressed out bunny.

Haha 9 months is plenty!

Any thoughts on 3 months?
    :ahee:

Oh wow, I don't clean dead bodies on my own, never. It's always at least 2 people
    That's quite unfair, that's a lot of workload! But tbh I feel the senior nurses to be a bit intimidating even though most of them are nice. Disliked one of them strongly....and there's always 1 HCA per shift!

3 months is a lot too if you think about it in hours, perhaps 6 months will be a safer option. But it depends on how long you really want to stay there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikoB)
    :ahee:

Oh wow, I don't clean dead bodies on my own, never. It's always at least 2 people
    That's quite unfair, that's a lot of workload! But tbh I feel the senior nurses to be a bit intimidating even though most of them are nice. Disliked one of them strongly....and there's always 1 HCA per shift!

3 months is a lot too if you think about it in hours, perhaps 6 months will be a safer option. But it depends on how long you really want to stay there
    Did I mention that I have to do all that in about 3 hours? From 9am to before lunches?

Thanks for your thoughts

ReputationRep:
    Did I mention that I have to do all that in about 3 hours? From 9am to before lunches?

Thanks for your thoughts
    That's bonkers! What about breaks, my first break in the morning is half an hour

ReputationRep:
    I rests one module exam in Physics in year 10 or 11, are there any universities that would not accept this? It was done within the two year gcse period... with the resit I got an A overall, without, it would have been a B

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.