Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So uni leavers and current uni studnets whats the damage for us potential students?

(Original post by Ladyluck)
    So uni leavers and current uni studnets whats the damage for us potential students?
    am trying to keep it to just the £9000 3 year loan but its far too tempting to go into my overdraft gah!

ReputationRep:
    I've I will have £5000 debt by this summer, this will be £7000 (hopefully no more) by the time I graduate.

I am not exactly budgeting though, I spent £50 a week just on music/food/going out etc.

ReputationRep:
    More than likely to be something close to:

3 x £4000 per year loan = £12,000

Will probably be running up the £1750 overdraft by the time I leave, hopefully won't get too involved with credit cards.

So close to £14,000.

ReputationRep:
    i should be running up a 3 grand loan for 4 years so probably 12 grand! eek! :eek:

all this talk of massive debts is very scary!

ReputationRep:
    5 x £4000 + inflation each year. = £22000K
    £2000 overdraft when I graduate = £2000
    £500 predicted Credit Card when I graduate = £500

£25000K - at least.
    And I can have £15k from the bank if i need it.

ReputationRep:
    And to think Jason Pleb is getting paid £35 a week to study GNVQ Foundation ICT. Life is not fair

ReputationRep:
    I graduated last september and my debt is around £14k.

ReputationRep:
    Currently my overdraft is £1100, and so far I've has £1980 in a student loan. Credit card is about £200 down.

It's an expensive business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    More than likely to be something close to:

3 x £4000 per year loan = £12,000

Will probably be running up the £1750 overdraft by the time I leave, hopefully won't get too involved with credit cards.

So close to £14,000.
    That sounds about the same as mine, although I intend to max out my credit card on a long awaited holiday after graduation!

ReputationRep:
    I will end up with:
    £5050 x 3 (roughly) = £1650
    This should sustain me although Mum is gonna give me some money and so are the lovely government, both of which i don't have to pay back so i won't have to survive off the pitiful student loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    I will end up with:
    £5050 x 3 (roughly) = £1650
    This should sustain me although Mum is gonna give me some money and so are the lovely government, both of which i don't have to pay back so i won't have to survive off the pitiful student loan.
    Why are the government giving you money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    Why are the government giving you money?
    I went to a talk that my college gae today about student funding. They reckon you can get a 1k grant if your 'rents earn less than 25k.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a talk that my college gae today about student funding. They reckon you can get a 1k grant if your 'rents earn less than 25k.
    I get money from the government because my family's income (well, the income that they take account of, haha!) is under £15K. If you earn under £20k you get partial grant too. Very nice, £1000 for free

Mine is quite a complex equation...

4k * 4 = 16k

16k - Sponsorship Money - My Current Savings - Projected Earning Through Work During Holidays (based on me keeping current job) = £3,000 to £4,000.

Yea I do now how lucky I am / would be to be in this postion after graduation...

ReputationRep:
    I wanna be in at LEAST 10 grand debt after graduation, just for novelty value.

(Original post by Petrozzi)
    I wanna be in at LEAST 10 grand debt after graduation, just for novelty value.
    I sure that between the two of us we will be able to run up one hell of an overdraft and credit card bill. With my taste in clothes and your obsesive patry nature.....it just can't be helped!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I sure that between the two of us we will be able to run up one hell of an overdraft and credit card bill. With my taste in clothes and your obsesive patry nature.....it just can't be helped!!!
    Hell yeah!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.