Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Guys can someone help with the following question..
    From a point A, a boat sails due north for 7km to B. The boat leave point B and moves at a bearing of 100 degrees for 10km until it reaches C. Calculate the distance of C from A.

I keep getting the wrong answer. This is my working out:

SinC/7 = Sin100/10
    C= 43.6

Therefore angle B is 180-(100+43.6)
    = 36.4

AC/sin36.4 = 10/sin100

AC = 10sin36.4 / sin100
    = 6.026 cm

However 6.026 isn't the answer. The answer is 11.2.

Where have I gone wrong??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taraah)
    SinC/7 = Sin100/10
    C= 43.6
    This first statement is not true.

Draw a diagram.. You cannot do this question using the sine rule - you have no pairing angle and lengths.

ReputationRep:
    The book tells me to use the cosine rule, but I still get the answer wrong. I've written the question exactly the way its written in the book. I drew a diagram but now I'm really confused

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The book tells me to use the cosine rule, but I still get the answer wrong. I've written the question exactly the way its written in the book. I drew a diagram but now I'm really confused

You should be able to work out the angle ABC by noting that angles on a straight line add up to give 180 degrees.

Then use the fact that

c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab\cos C

ReputationRep:

If you've drawn the sketch correctly you should have a value for a, b and an angle which (if the ship goes on a bearing of 100 from and the angle of a straight line is 180 what would be the angle inside the triangle?) http://gyazo.com/336ae70eb7cd08fc049fc564ef9c676b

ReputationRep:
    note that bearings are measure from north, clockwise

ReputationRep:

Rearrange:

Things to bear in mind (no pun intended):
    - Bearing are measured north clockwise meaning angle B has a measurement of 80 degrees.
    - Angles are opposite to sides.
    - Plug your numbers in using brackets and round.
    - Don't forget to square root your answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secret.)
    If you've drawn the sketch correctly you should have a value for a, b and an angle which (if the ship goes on a bearing of 100 from and the angle of a straight line is 180 what would be the angle inside the triangle?) http://gyazo.com/336ae70eb7cd08fc049fc564ef9c676b
    Hey thank you!! I drew the diagram incorrectly, thanks for helping i got the right answer now, finally!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secret.)
    Hey is it possible that you can help me with a another question:
    A helicopter flies on a bearing of 200 degrees from A to B, where AB= 70km. It then flies on a bearing of 150 degrees from B to C, where C is due south of A. Work out the distance of C from A.

I properly know how to work it out, but I struggle with drawing the sketches.. Can you please tell me how to sketch would look like? Because I know I'm not drawing it right.

ReputationRep:
    Hey is it possible that you can help me with a another question:
    A helicopter flies on a bearing of 200 degrees from A to B, where AB= 70km. It then flies on a bearing of 150 degrees from B to C, where C is due south of A. Work out the distance of C from A.

I properly know how to work it out, but I struggle with drawing the sketches.. Can you please tell me how to sketch would look like? Because I know I'm not drawing it right.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I'm guessing it would look something like: http://gyazo.com/78d9fa8f6386c96686a99cbe70af496d

It also shows that C is due south of A
    hope this helps.
    (I kept the north lines so you can see how I got the drawing, the angles are not exact and don't have to be just approximate e.g. for 200 I used the north line as the angle of 180 and added approx 020 to it.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.