Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Before y'all go and neg me, I'm not trying to belittle cyberbullying or anything like that. I know it's a serious problem that really affects a lot of people and upsets them a great deal. I'm just honestly curious.

I don't get cyberbullying. As somebody who was bullied in the past, the thing that made it so bad was that it was inescapable. The people who bullied me were in a lot of my lessons, and we had to share the same area at break times. The only way to avoid it would have been to skip school (which I never did - I was determined not to give them the satisfaction).

Cyberbullying, however, seems so much easier to avoid. If someone's sending you nasty messages on, say, Facebook, you can just block them after the first message or - if it gets really bad - just stop going on Facebook. The same applies to any website. Emails are pretty simple too, because nearly all decent email clients support some pretty powerful email filters.

So if it's so easy to get away from cyberbullies - obviously, not using a certain website you want to use isn't an ideal solution, but it's better than being bullied - why do people get driven to suicide by it?

But people do, so there's clearly something I'm missing, and I really want to understand it.

ReputationRep:
    If people are talking about you then as much as its upsetting you want to know whats being said, even if it's horrible. Like if you go into school the next day then people are going to be talking about what people are saying about you and you won't know beforehand because you haven't seen it.

I think some people like to try and prove to the bullies that they aren't winning, kind of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tu_es_jolie_x)
    If people are talking about you then as much as its upsetting you want to know whats being said, even if it's horrible. Like if you go into school the next day then people are going to be talking about what people are saying about you and you won't know beforehand because you haven't seen it.

I think some people like to try and prove to the bullies that they aren't winning, kind of.
    Apparently most of it goes on via private messages, because doing it publicly makes the bullies too accountable and there are too many witnesses. Apparently.

And I'd rather let the bullies win by quitting a website than let the bullies win by committing suicide. But maybe that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    Why would any even care what others think about them?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.