tangledupinbluee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hola!
Right, so I've been trying to decide fourth my A-Level course for a while now. So far I know that I want to take French, Spanish and English Lit for definite, but the fourth one has stumped me for a while. I've narrowed it down but I'm debating between maths and art, because I enjoy them both!

Opinions would be really appreciated! Thank you!
Crystal Fighter
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you want to do a degree or want a job relating to art?
Sha_15
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want to go into art, then take art a level; if you do not want to go into art, then it doesn't matter if you do or do not take it.
Mr Faust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In terms of mixed media/collage/composition work you're at a high level. However, the drawings wouldn't get you a B in my opinion. I'd love to see any paintings/sculptures/more sketches from you, because variety is important and you are expected to try out lots of mediums and styles.

Lots of people on here will encourage you to take Maths because it is more respected/translatable skills yada yada. Personally, I think Maths A-Level sounds like a bore. I've taken English Lit, History, Art and English Lang, because those are the subjects I enjoy (and am enjoying) as well as the fact they are my strongest subjects (enjoyment and high grades are often interlinked) and they are complimentary to the path I want to go down in, which is English. If you love Art as I do, take it. You have three other strong subjects and taking Art will give you a different edge to all the academia robots that apply to universities Also take in consideration what kind of degree/career you want, because if you want to go into accountancy then obviously take Maths. Ultimately, ask yourself:

1) which one do I enjoy the most?
2) which one am I more likely to do well in?
3) which one is most relevant to my future aspirations?
nrp_95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Few questions you should ask yourself of you're seriously considering art:
Are you predicted an A or A* in Art GCSE?
Are you willing to put in at least 8 hours a week on coursework outside of lessons?
Will taking art compromise future career ideas?

I'm currently doing A level Art, along with Biology and Chemistry, and I have offers to study Biochemistry at university, so just cause you do art doesn't mean you can't do other things. Just bear in mind some courses may require certain subjects and maths is a popular one.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
lucyab
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't do it. It's far too time consuming. I chose it at AS because I enjoyed art and it was another option to fill up. I did my gcse in art two years early (year 9) and got a C. Then I did the btec in year 10/11 (equivelant to 4 gcses) and got distinction*! Then at AS I got an E I wouldn't do it unless you wanted to go into it, you lose so much time on your other a levels because of it. And there is a lot more writing behind it than at gcse. But it's entirely up to you!
tangledupinbluee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Faust)
In terms of mixed media/collage/composition work you're at a high level. However, the drawings wouldn't get you a B in my opinion. I'd love to see any paintings/sculptures/more sketches from you, because variety is important and you are expected to try out lots of mediums and styles.

Lots of people on here will encourage you to take Maths because it is more respected/translatable skills yada yada. Personally, I think Maths A-Level sounds like a bore. I've taken English Lit, History, Art and English Lang, because those are the subjects I enjoy (and am enjoying) as well as the fact they are my strongest subjects (enjoyment and high grades are often interlinked) and they are complimentary to the path I want to go down in, which is English. If you love Art as I do, take it. You have three other strong subjects and taking Art will give you a different edge to all the academia robots that apply to universities Also take in consideration what kind of degree/career you want, because if you want to go into accountancy then obviously take Maths. Ultimately, ask yourself:

Yes you're completely right! At A-level do you need to be all-round good at art though? That's what's bugging me Art would definitely give a nice variety to my options though
Mr Faust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tangledupinbluee)
Yes you're completely right! At A-level do you need to be all-round good at art though? That's what's bugging me Art would definitely give a nice variety to my options though
I confess my work is often overbalanced with pencil work, and lacks in places with painting, because I'm just more experienced in sketching than painting (my paintings turn 'surrealist' automatically ) and I'm predicted a top A. You don't need to have any 3D as far as I'm aware, but don't quote me on that. You can still achieve a high grade without balance it is just easier if you slip in a few experimental styles and mediums. Also a good skill to have is analytical writing, but that shouldn't be a problem if you're taking English Literature. Because writing is natural to me, when analysing my own and artists work if it is eloquent and well-written it is a real mark magnet to have. What are your GCSE/predicted grades for Maths and Art?
tangledupinbluee
Rep:
?
I confess my work is often overbalanced with pencil work, and lacks in places with painting, because I'm just more experienced in sketching than painting (my paintings turn 'surrealist' automatically ) and I'm predicted a top A. You don't need to have any 3D as far as I'm aware, but don't quote me on that. You can still achieve a high grade without balance it is just easier if you slip in a few experimental styles and mediums. Also a good skill to have is analytical writing, but that shouldn't be a problem if you're taking English Literature. Because writing is natural to me, when analysing my own and artists work if it is eloquent and well-written it is a real mark magnet to have. What are your GCSE/predicted grades for Maths and Art?
B/A in each, but both my teachers have advised me to take it in college. But lucky you! Yeah I'm pretty good with analysing, I always get told to write less! :')
jack.philpott
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think I'm going to take very similar a-levels to the ones you took (eng lit, eng lang, psychology and art). What uni course could you get into with these because I'm interested in journalism or marketing, and want to make sure I'm getting myself in the right position for the future.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (57)
65.52%
I don't have everything I need (30)
34.48%

Watched Threads