Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    At the school I want to study my a-levels at, critical thinking is necessary to take. I was just wondering whether this was something that universities looked for or thought was good to take?
    I was also wondering if it was difficult or challenging at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FreeFlying)
    Hi,
    I was just wondering whether this was something that universities looked for or thought was good to take?
    Depends on what you're applying for at uni. For example, at the unis I'm applying for, for the course I want to do, they all say 'General Studies and Critical Thinking not accepted'. Luckily I didn't take any of them
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Many unis won't accept it. However, if you miss your offer they might take it into account. A lot of people that do take it seem to find it easy and don't have to put any effort in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaraWarah)
    If you're doing it in your first year of sixth form, then obviously universities will look at it. I think it's one of those things where if you get an A, it's like "hmm, nice", but if you don't, then it would possibly count against you.

If you're doing it in your second year, then they won't see your grade until they receive your final A-level results, and at that point it might swing them into giving you an offer. If say, you needed AAA and you got AAB + A in CritThink, then you might still get an offer.
    I think i'm only doing for the first year..so is it basically ignored then?

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm only doing for the first year..so is it basically ignored then?
    It help you to develop analytical thinking which may be of use and help you in other subjects too, essay based mainly

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    At the school I want to study my a-levels at, critical thinking is necessary to take. I was just wondering whether this was something that universities looked for or thought was good to take?
    I was also wondering if it was difficult or challenging at all?
    I took Critical Thinking as a 5th AS level. It's not too difficult, all about analysing arguments etc. Helps to strengthen your arguments if you do essay based subjects (although you won't think it will :P). I done about an hour a week working towards it and got a B overall. It is excepted by most universities; I got an offer from Durham with it included as an AS subject.. but some universities won't accept it. Although the A level that no university really accepts is General Studies.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.