Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently living in Cardiff, about 8hrs away on a bad day by bus (would never be able to afford a flight). I literally adore Newcastle as a city, I'd love to go there, I'm just so worried about the distance. Bristol is my second choice and is much closer but I really do love Newcastle so I'm stuck. It's my favorite city ever, and the campus and most of the accommodation is so close to all the action. The locals are friendly, the nightlife is wild, shopping and restraunts at every corner. However...

If I made friends or even a boyfriend, I'll presumably be moving back to Wales eventually meaning they probably won't be the lifelong friends that you hope to meet at uni.
    There'll probably be no visits from friends and very little from family as it's just so far away. And no popping home if things get tough or I'm feeling terribly homesick.

Is Newcastle worth the move? Will I get enough support to manage? I'm so worried I won't make friends and I'll be stuck hundreds of miles from home.

ReputationRep:
    You might as well go to a Uni closer to you in Wales to be on the safe side especially if you know that you will be moving back to Wales anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    I'm currently living in Cardiff, about 8hrs away on a bad day by bus (would never be able to afford a flight). I literally adore Newcastle as a city, I'd love to go there, I'm just so worried about the distance. Bristol is my second choice and is much closer but I really do love Newcastle so I'm stuck. It's my favorite city ever, and the campus and most of the accommodation is so close to all the action. The locals are friendly, the nightlife is wild, shopping and restraunts at every corner. However...

If I made friends or even a boyfriend, I'll presumably be moving back to Wales eventually meaning they probably won't be the lifelong friends that you hope to meet at uni.
    There'll probably be no visits from friends and very little from family as it's just so far away. And no popping home if things get tough or I'm feeling terribly homesick.

Is Newcastle worth the move? Will I get enough support to manage? I'm so worried I won't make friends and I'll be stuck hundreds of miles from home.
    What's the point in basing your uni choice on a load of what if/buts, you may come to Newcastle and not want to leave therefore your worries about no making lifelong friends is redundant.

if you love the city and the uni then form Newcastle and take the risk, your worries about no visits from friends and family; you don't know that for sure! Besides there's always Skype; so don't worry about that! And chances are you'll make new friends at uni so homesickness won't last too long.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.