Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

FOOD AND DRINK: The Daily CLASSIC versus CONTEMPORARY Foodie Comparison! Watch

ReputationRep:
    WELCOME, my TSR Brethren, to yet another Daily Time Wastin' Food Thread!
    But hell, that's why you're here in the recreational end of a set of forums right? Or did you have something BETTER to do? Heck, you may have come into the thread solely to neg me, but I see that as something of a compliment. You made the time for me. :P

In this thread, each day, I'll post the classic and modern versions of a particular food or drink, and we'll discuss which is better, and your opinions on said item's pros and cons!

Perhaps over the years a particular food product has changed a lot, and perhaps it's stayed pretty much the same thing. Regardless, we'll have to choose which was/is the better iteration of it, in...

The DAILY CLASSIC versus CONTEMPORARY Foodie Comparison!

PREVIOUS COMPARISONS AND TSR'S CHOICE OF WINNERS:

The Hamburger: Contemporary Wins
    The Ploughman's Lunch: Contemporary Wins
    Cadbury (Miniature) Heroes: Classic Wins
    Spaghetti Carbonara: Contemporary Wins
    Cadbury Boost: Contemporary Wins
    The Pizza: Contemporary Wins
    The Takeaway Ice Cream: Classic Wins
    The McDonalds McNugget: Tied Vote
    Burger King Chicken Tender: Classic Wins
    Ketchup: Contemporary Wins
    Monster Munch: Contemporary Wins
    Apple Pie: Contemporary Wins

ReputationRep:
    My body is ready.

ReputationRep:
    SATURDAY 23RD MARCH: THE HAMBURGER

Originally, the "Hamburger Sandwich" was coarsely ground beef packed into meatballs which were "mashed" onto a griddle when a patron wanted a "giant meatball sandwich". As it predated sliced bread, it was placed onto buttered, thin toast, and served with a thick slice of beef tomato and a ring of onions. Nothing else was added.

Nowadays, the most popular format of the Hamburger is actually the "Quarter Pound Cheeseburger", which is universally the most-ordered format of the hamburger across all recorded outlets. The patty is more fine, uniform, and the toast is gone in favour of a sesame seed bun. Onions are now diced instead of ringed, tomatoes are finer, and condiments such as ketchup, mayonnaise, relish and mustard are standard. Cheese (or "cheese food" in the UK where "fake cheese slices" cannot be called "real cheese") is added, and most include cos or iceberg lettuce.

A Lot of change can be seen in the Hamburger (sandwich). In the past, the bread was more simply a vehicle for the beef, where now there are a lot more to complicate the sandwich. But which is better, and why?

CLASSIC or CONTEMPORARY, for you?

ReputationRep:
    Surely has to be the contemporary. Rustic is all well and good, but no cheese? And the dryness of the toast with no condiments?!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've had these over the past couple of months, and it's hard to imagine anything better. Contemporary.

Name:  2013-03-21 20.03.03.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  499.0 KB
    Name:  boston.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  43.6 KB
    Name:  annies 2.png
Views: 203
Size:  321.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm in the minority, guys, but I honestly don't think cheese enhances meat. We in the west slop cheese on EVERYTHING. It kills off so many flavours! But I cannot deny, I find it a bit soothing to get a soft sesame seed bun, so I am torn!

ReputationRep:
    Contemporary. I like the convenience of fast food burgers. But I have gone off beef burgers since the horsemeat scandal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    I know I'm in the minority, guys, but I honestly don't think cheese enhances meat. We in the west slop cheese on EVERYTHING. It kills off so many flavours! But I cannot deny, I find it a bit soothing to get a soft sesame seed bun, so I am torn!
    I do agree to some extent. My housemates will put it on most things and its fairly gross. Not even a little bit of parmesan but they grate a load of cheddar on top.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine the ground beef on the Classic Hamburger would be like when you buy beef mince and moosh it loosely into a patty, then fry it - much looser in consistency.

That's not a bad thing, but I imagine it'd make it more crumbly/sloppy?

ReputationRep:
    This is a hard one. I'll go with contemporary because I wouldn't like the consistency of the classic one so much and I woud much prefer a bun to toast, but I don't like ANYTHING on my burger apart from cheese. No salad, no relish, no sauces, please just give me a burger with either nothing on it, or cheese. And perhaps bacon.

ReputationRep:
    Contemporary. There's sauce in it and it needs it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna go for the classic, I never eat hamburgers anymore as I find them a bit wet, and I hate plastic cheese. But the classic looks good, and I love the idea of it being inside sliced toast which must give it an awesome crunch. I reckon there's more safety that the classic version is free of horse too.

ReputationRep:
    IT SEEMS EVOLUTION WORKS, BECAUSE YOU HAVE DECIDED TO VOTE CONTEMPORARY AS BEST WHEN IT COMES TO THE HAMBURGER.

The coarse patty was replaced by a denser, more finely-ground beef, and the tomato and onions downsized to allow for the addition of other toppings like lettuce and cheese. The butter was ousted in favour of ketchup, mayo and mustard, and most strikingly, the thin sliced toast was replaced by a pillowy bun.

Some "classic" burger joints still serve their burgers on toast, but nowadays it's on "Texas Toast" - huge hulking doorstop slices.

ReputationRep:
    SUNDAY 24TH MARCH: THE PLOUGHMAN'S LUNCH

Originally, the Ploughman's Lunch was a meal that predated rationing - so it included foods that weren't heavily policed to the people. The meal was quite heavily marketed by the Milk Marketing Board as a way to get people to eat more cheese, and so it was often very dairy-heavy.

The original version consisted of several slices of buttered bread, sliced onions and pickles, a large hunk of regional strong cheese, and a large mug of ale or two. Basically, it was usually more than two thirds bread, butter and cheese, with a pickle or onion to add spice, and a lot of alcohol to wash it down!

Nowadays, the Ploughman's Lunch is less focused on the cheese element of the dish. It features by ratio, far less cheese, but may contain more than one variety. The slabs of bread are often replaced by artisan bread or a baguette, and the pickle is most often now a richer, more spreadable chutney (or even maybe Branston!). A new addition to the meal is thick cut ham, something you wouldn't have before, and a piece of fresh fruit (usually an apple). Ploughman's Lunches are often accompanied by small mixed green salads too, nowadays, and no longer have ale/alcohol as one of the staple components.

SO, HAS EVOLUTION PROVED KIND TO THE PLOUGHMAN'S LUNCH? WHICH DO YOU PREFER, AND WHY? DO YOU VOTE...

CLASSIC... OR CONTEMPORARY?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely contemporary. I love a good chutney, and I think the modern interpretations are really quaint, especially served up on a hunk of wooden board. They manage to maintain the traditional elements of the classic very sympathetically, whilst actually improving the foods. Cheese on cheese on cheese on bread on butter can all be a bit rich, a nice chutney and fresh salad to cut through that can be a real joy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    the contemporary picture clearly looks more appetising! cheese and bread are two of my favourite things, whereas i'm not that fussed about ham (or any cold meats) so the classic sounds appealing. however, apple is great with a cheesy lunch, i LOVE different pickles and the variety of the contemporary is just too appealing - i'd have to say contemporary. the classic is jut a bit too limited.

ReputationRep:
    New thread! And I've already missed a day!!! Shakespeare could write a play about this, that's how tragic it is!
    Anyway, contemporary. Lots of cheese in a dish can be too much, and variety IS the spice of life.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you're here now, and that's all that matters, team!

The Ploughman's Lunch is really quite an interesting one. It actively started out as the Milk Board trying to seem like they were offering the solution to a post-war product shortage - Britain was FULL of top-notch bread, butter and cheeses (most people don't realise but Britain is home to some of the world's highest-ranking cheeses, more entries in the rosette-winning regions than, say, France). It was truly a "British Pride" thing - we got to be patriotic AND use what we had the most of. And ale? That was because strong British beer was also in abundance and obviously "helps take the edge off".

What SHOULD have happened is that the Ploughman's Lunch just... well, disappear. It was no longer needed; trade routes opened up, rationing ended, and we got a bunch more products to choose from. Instead of going away, it seemed people just kept on.. adding to it. Some Ploughmans lunches you see these days look like more of a full family buffet - like this bad boy, which inexplicably adds an entire Scotch Egg, half a pie, and a frittata! I mean, traditional?! Not so much.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely contemporary. I love cheese but I wouldn't want it to be the main ingredient in a dish. Also, I love meat and an old-school Ploughman's wouldn't have had that.

ReputationRep:
    That picture looks so unappealing Toto. I think if given the choice of traditional or that contemporary, I'd go traditional, in that specific instance

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.