Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

FOOD AND DRINK: The Daily CLASSIC versus CONTEMPORARY Foodie Comparison! Watch

ReputationRep:
    CONTEMPORARY TAKES IT AGAIN!

It seems that despite omitting the alcohol and decreasing the cheese element, TSR has by majority deemed variety the spice of life! The addition of fruit, meat, chutneys and for more artisan ingredients make for a far more interesting experience.

ReputationRep:
    TUESDAY 26TH MARCH: CADBURY (MINIATURE) HEROES

Released fourteen years ago, after Mars brought out Celebrations, "Miniature Heroes" were an attack on that brand by releasing a "greatest hits" tub of mini versions of their best bars. The only size was originally the 400G tub, which comprised of Twirl, Caramel, Fuse, Crunchie Bites, Dairy Milk, Time Out, and Fudge. This iteration lasted a short while as very shortly after, Cadbury axed the Fuse brand, and so the long running second-iteration of Miniature Heroes was released which replaced the Fuse with Picnic, Dream, and Nuts about Caramel.

ON THE CONTEMPORARY END,
    The "Miniature" moniker was dropped, and the age of the "Cadbury Heroes" started. The Dream, Crunchie Bites, Time Out, Picnic, Nuts About Caramel (now axed anyway)were dropped and replaced by Bourneville, Eclairs, and Creme Egg Twisted.

The current selection of Cadbury Heroes includes Creme Egg Twisted, Dairy Milk, Caramel, Eclairs, Fudge and Twirl with no replacement for the removed Bourneville.

But does this affect the verdict?

CADBURY (MINIATURE) HEROES: CLASSIC OR CONTEMPORARY, AND WHY?

ReputationRep:
    In this instance, Contemporary because I prefer the varieties on offer.

But with some other tins of confectionary {COUGH. Celebrations. COUGH} this wouldn't be the case.

ReputationRep:
    CLASSIC.

100% I miss those Crunchies and Fuse's! And the Picnics, and TimeOuts.

CLASSIC.

ReputationRep:
    Classic. They've destroyed it now. If they still had the classic version, I'd buy it.

ReputationRep:
    The middle stage, when they had the Dreams! They're the ones I know and love, I was at my prime of eating Heroes in this period and they'll never be the same again. The worst thing they EVER did was add Eclairs, what's the point? Just buy a bag of them on their own if you want them..and they don't fit in with the others. Rogues.

ReputationRep:
    If that's the stage that counts as having the Dreams then Classic. The new ones just aren't the same and I can't stand the cream egg chocolates!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about classic or contemporary, but the big pictured tin with Time Out instead of Creme Egg Twisted would have been perfect.

ReputationRep:
    In this case I think the classic version is better. I don't like Creme Eggs, Eclairs or Fudges, and I did love those Dreams.

ReputationRep:
    The second stage where Dream, Picnics et cetera were present, the brand was still "Miniature Heroes", so I'll classify this as the "Classic Phase" of the product.

ReputationRep:
    In that case, CLASSIC!

ReputationRep:
    CLASSIC MINIATURE HEROES WINS THE DAY.

Fuse, Picnic, Dream, Nuts about Caramel, Crunchie Bites, Time Outs and so many more have fallen by the wayside and replaced by Creme Egg Twisted Minis, Eclairs, and at one point, the main bugbear - the Bourneville.

The strangest thing is that the only completely consistent pieces in the box have been Dairy Milk, Caramel, Fudge and Twirl - incidentally, Cadbury's cheapest chocolates to produce

ReputationRep:
    WEDNESDAY 27TH MARCH: SPAGHETTI ALLA CARBONARA

Or just, "Spaghetti Carbonara" in the UK. Originating in Rome, this dish was originally a dry pasta dish, featuring spaghetti, some light flakes of pecorino cheese, pancetta/ham, and lots of black pepper. No cream, no mushrooms, no chicken, no peas - an original carbonara was all about letting strong hard cheese and salty pancetta work together in unison, whilst being bound by fresh egg pasta.

The above image shows how Classic Carbonara looks; mere flecks of cheese and bacon create pockets of punchy, salty flavour.

However, in more contemporary times, there has been the addition of softer cheeses like mozzarella, lots of cream, peas, onions, mushrooms, and often meats like chicken. Pancetta is often substituted for fattier streaky bacon, and spaghetti is often substituted for tagliatelle.

The above image shows a Spaghetti Carbonara as it would be served in most venues today. If you ate at, say, Frankie and Bennys, the Carbonara they would serve would not be an authentic, classic Carbonara. But is this a bad thing?

What do you say? SPAGHETTI CARBONARA, CLASSIC OR CONTEMPORARY?

ReputationRep:
    CLASSIC. I like the 'real' hamy addition, not bacon.

ReputationRep:
    i recently went to rome and ordered a spaghetti carbonara (got to be done), it was contemporary and the best pasta i have ever eaten in my life! i couldnt imagine a classic carbonara coming anywhere close to the one i had, so for that reason its got to be contemporary.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I think whichever has a creamier base. The original looks rather dry :/

ReputationRep:
    Contemporary. The creamy sauce is the best bit, I cannot abide dry pasta. Having said that, peas and mushrooms?! No thankyou.

Also, Bournevilles the main bugbear?! I loved those mini Bournevilles

ReputationRep:
    That's a difficult call. The classic one looks very simple and tasty. The creamy one I can never eat the lot of because it's too rich and creamy, but I still love lose first few bites. So I'm going to have to go contemporary.

ReputationRep:
    Classic. That looks closer to how I make mine.

ReputationRep:
    CLASSIC. I hate a lot of the modern version of Italian dishes because they've just been ruined. Proper, traditional Italian food is the best.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.