Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I hold an offer to study Mechanical Engineering MEng at Warwick University next year. I have been told by some friends that by doing as many Further Maths modules as possible will help me A LOT in first year. Is this true? I will have completed the following modules by September (the start date of my course):

C1-C4
    FP1-FP3
    M1-M5
    S1-S2

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    I hold an offer to study Mechanical Engineering MEng at Warwick University next year. I have been told by some friends that by doing as many Further Maths modules as possible will help me A LOT in first year. Is this true? I will have completed the following modules by September (the start date of my course):

C1-C4
    FP1-FP3
    M1-M5
    S1-S2
    You'll probably be more prepared than most with those modules. Particularly M1-M5. A lot of applicants will have done FP2/3.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Coventry University and just about to finish my first year of mechanical engineering. Those modules will be very suitable for the sorts of things you'll likely do.

The sorts of maths that we got up to involved calculus, matrices, imaginary numbers, vectors, etc. We are doing a bit of statistics too. There is another module we do where it's more about the application of the maths, called mechanical science, and that's the mechanics type stuff. It varies from thermofluids to solid mechanics in the first year for us. That seems to be on par with what most other universities do.

Provided this all sounds within your grasp (I only did AS maths and I can do most of that stuff just fine) then it should be perfect.

One thing to note: It may make more sense to apply for the BEng than the MEng. The grade requirement is usually one grade lower (so AAA to AAB or maybe even ABB) and candidates can usually apply to carry on to do the MEng towards the end of their Bachelor's degree. If you make it onto MEng you can finish with an MEng or BEng (if you plan on leaving early). If you do a BEng you can usually pick to do the MEng if you wanted to. If you can't make the offer for MEng, they'll probably stick you in with the BEng bunch (in most cases you'll do exactly the same classes for the first 2, or maybe 3, years) and you'll apply to carry on for MEng with appropriate grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    I'm at Coventry University and just about to finish my first year of mechanical engineering. Those modules will be very suitable for the sorts of things you'll likely do.

The sorts of maths that we got up to involved calculus, matrices, imaginary numbers, vectors, etc. We are doing a bit of statistics too. There is another module we do where it's more about the application of the maths, called mechanical science, and that's the mechanics type stuff. It varies from thermofluids to solid mechanics in the first year for us. That seems to be on par with what most other universities do.

Provided this all sounds within your grasp (I only did AS maths and I can do most of that stuff just fine) then it should be perfect.

One thing to note: It may make more sense to apply for the BEng than the MEng. The grade requirement is usually one grade lower (so AAA to AAB or maybe even ABB) and candidates can usually apply to carry on to do the MEng towards the end of their Bachelor's degree. If you make it onto MEng you can finish with an MEng or BEng (if you plan on leaving early). If you do a BEng you can usually pick to do the MEng if you wanted to. If you can't make the offer for MEng, they'll probably stick you in with the BEng bunch (in most cases you'll do exactly the same classes for the first 2, or maybe 3, years) and you'll apply to carry on for MEng with appropriate grades.
    Thanks for the reply! One of my friends is studying Engineering at Coventry and he was asking me for help on the Maths side of it lol. I am currently studying all the above mentioned topics so hopefully that will aid me greatly.

Btw sorry for the late reply

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, i've not studied any further maths at all, i guess i should try and catch up in the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAJC)
    Ouch, i've not studied any further maths at all, i guess i should try and catch up in the summer
    i wouldn't waste your time doing that, the first year goes over what you need to know. Spend your summer enjoying yourself as its going to be hell come september

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    i wouldn't waste your time doing that, the first year goes over what you need to know. Spend your summer enjoying yourself as its going to be hell come september
    while thats true, the speed the further maths modules are gone over at uni will be insane, just a few lectures, whereas at Alevel you could spend weeks even months doing the equivalent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 101101)
    while thats true, the speed the further maths modules are gone over at uni will be insane, just a few lectures, whereas at Alevel you could spend weeks even months doing the equivalent
    It's odd, because despite there being harder stuff and less contact time at uni, I found a lot of the first year work to be easier than A-levels.

To people who haven't started, you'll find it totally bizarre that you'll only get an hour or two (maybe three with a tutorial) of contact time per class per week. At college you could get that each day! So yeah, there is definitely the need to learn to learn (doing self-study for a year for A-levels was quite beneficial in that sense).

Still, I'm not regretting that I took the summer as a long holiday and literally did nothing. You could always try and get a reading list off your university though - Current students are going to be finishing their exams in the next few weeks so they'll be selling their books. My university included core books in the fees, so fortunately I never had to go through that step. You could also ask the university about the course and see if you could get the content guide or study timetable - It is inevitable that you will not follow the book in the right order. Hell, my first lecture started with things like imaginary numbers and the final lectures ended with like GCSE/AS statistics! Talk about not building up the difficulty!

It wouldn't hurt to have a read, but I'd rather relax. Just conserve enough energy to start studying when you get there.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.