The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Stupidly nervous

Well hey guys, I'm pretty new to the forums (although I posted the same post for a different uni forum, but after seeing Lincoln today I feel in love), I had a talk with my college tutor and she told me I should sign up here to try get to know a few people!

Well Lincoln is now, my top pick currently for Business and Management. I live in a pretty modest size town and Lincolns a bit of a down size, but it seemed like such a confusing town, I got lost so much ahah, I'm really nervous and I would love to get to know some people. I have a fair few mental illness' that can make social life really hard for me, so it would be wonderful if I could get to know a few people who are starting this September. Please do not think of me a freak, I'm mentally ill, not insane :')

I'm also extremely nervous as I noticed that I stand out like a sore thumb, I have a fair few visible piercings and that's making me even more nervous that I might not fit it, or I may be an outcast, I spoke to a fair few students who all told me not to worry and people will be lovely, but I'm told the people you share with are luck of the draw and you might get a few horrid people /: I just hope to get to know a few people who are going or currently are there, be wonderful to be able to go for a coffee or something when I start or before then! Just to help me settle in and of course I'm sure other people are quite nervous also! I'm not fussed what course, age, whatever, just anyone ahah! I'm just extremely paranoid about everything :c
Reply 1
Hey,
Lincoln is my firm choice for Journalism. You will be fine! :biggrin: all of the prospective and current students/staff I have met so far have been so lovely and friendly,and Lincoln seems a very warm and welcoming atmosphere. I think as soon as you start you'll be wondering what you were so worried about :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah I totally agree, I'm doing media production and stuck out like a sore thumb on the applicant day but I still loved it, try going to one of the applicant visit days and chat to people you might be with next year :smile:
Original post by HappyChapy
Well hey guys, I'm pretty new to the forums (although I posted the same post for a different uni forum, but after seeing Lincoln today I feel in love), I had a talk with my college tutor and she told me I should sign up here to try get to know a few people!

Well Lincoln is now, my top pick currently for Business and Management. I live in a pretty modest size town and Lincolns a bit of a down size, but it seemed like such a confusing town, I got lost so much ahah, I'm really nervous and I would love to get to know some people. I have a fair few mental illness' that can make social life really hard for me, so it would be wonderful if I could get to know a few people who are starting this September. Please do not think of me a freak, I'm mentally ill, not insane :')

I'm also extremely nervous as I noticed that I stand out like a sore thumb, I have a fair few visible piercings and that's making me even more nervous that I might not fit it, or I may be an outcast, I spoke to a fair few students who all told me not to worry and people will be lovely, but I'm told the people you share with are luck of the draw and you might get a few horrid people /: I just hope to get to know a few people who are going or currently are there, be wonderful to be able to go for a coffee or something when I start or before then! Just to help me settle in and of course I'm sure other people are quite nervous also! I'm not fussed what course, age, whatever, just anyone ahah! I'm just extremely paranoid about everything :c

Everyone I know in uni tells me it's totally different from college / 6th Form, social cliques barely exist - the only outcasts are the ones who don't make an effort or who are stuck up to everyone else!

Don't be paranoid, 9/10 people I've seen going to Lincoln on TSR are going for your course so you'll have plenty of people to talk to and fit in with! I'm not a student yet - starting this year as well - so all I can really say is bring on September! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by jellybean_
Hey,
Lincoln is my firm choice for Journalism. You will be fine! :biggrin: all of the prospective and current students/staff I have met so far have been so lovely and friendly,and Lincoln seems a very warm and welcoming atmosphere. I think as soon as you start you'll be wondering what you were so worried about :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so :c It was the same for me as well! I'm kind of tempted more toward small town more now, because I feel as if I might be able to make a few friends, or that because it's a small community ever will be a lot closer but c: Well, it's easier said then done, I currently have seven visible piercings, I had 16 but I've removed a few in preparation, however I'll probably be at 10-15 again when I start so... also a little bothered because I struggle extremely socially so it takes a lot of understanding from other person to be able to get on with me! Not to sound too vain though.. but I don't feel like a horrible person, I tend to be quite a nice person who sticks my neck out for others, but people generally cannot understand me, I've found the few friends I have are intellectuals who are at uni, or going to uni,so that's why I have my fingers crossed, but it's still so nervy :c
Reply 5
Original post by Cloud(:
Yeah I totally agree, I'm doing media production and stuck out like a sore thumb on the applicant day but I still loved it, try going to one of the applicant visit days and chat to people you might be with next year :smile:

Yes I've already been! I think I was like, THE ONLY person with any visible piercings, I'm so glad I removed a lot before I went, everyone probably would have thought I was a freak :c I didn't have to nerve to talk to other people because like everyone was generally with parents, then I'm kind of gap year student, so I'm only a year older.. but I travel by myself so it's a bit awkward to speak to anyone whilst there parents are there, especially when I'm shy and paranoid D: I spoke to a lot of students though and they were all wonderful people :3
Reply 6
Yes I've already been! I think I was like, THE ONLY person with any visible piercings, I'm so glad I removed a lot before I went, everyone probably would have thought I was a freak :c I didn't have to nerve to talk to other people because like everyone was generally with parents, then I'm kind of gap year student, so I'm only a year older.. but I travel by myself so it's a bit awkward to speak to anyone whilst there parents are there, especially when I'm shy and paranoid D: I spoke to a lot of students though and they were all wonderful people :3

i'm pretty sure no one cares about piercings these days? well maybe parents but not youngers? like i have a nose ring and tones on my ears not to mention my tattoos and ever changing hair colour,.. and then i have plenty of friends who are more metal than face? so i don't think that matters.. and im 2 years older, its pretty common for people to be older at uni, the majority of people i have met are a year or two older, some are even older than that, a year doesn't make a difference.. and yeah some were with parents but then again when we had the individual workshops they were without parents? so that was a chance?
i think you need to get out of your comfort zone and just like chill, everyone is in the same situation, most people will be moving away from home for the first time (i know i am) so everyone is shy.. just need to walk up to people and start chatting to them.
that's what i do, and yeah i am really loud and confident so i know it's easier for me than other people.. but im still really nervous around new people, however no one is going to say no to having a new friend in a strange new city.
Reply 7
Original post by British-Student
Everyone I know in uni tells me it's totally different from college / 6th Form, social cliques barely exist - the only outcasts are the ones who don't make an effort or who are stuck up to everyone else!

Don't be paranoid, 9/10 people I've seen going to Lincoln on TSR are going for your course so you'll have plenty of people to talk to and fit in with! I'm not a student yet - starting this year as well - so all I can really say is bring on September! :biggrin:

Yes I've been told quite a similar thing to be honest! But you see, I feel like I'm going to be an outcast because most people cannot understand that I don't mean to do thing I do, like personality disorders affect my personality without me wanting them to, most people can't understand that it's EXTREMELY difficult for me to just be social and speak to people, so I worry that people won't understand, I was hoping for an escape because everyone is an intellectual, however a friend from uni said to me, 'You'd be surprised... the people are uni aren't always 'intellectuals@ how you think they will be so don't hope for too much.' so /:

Well I suffer paranoid personality disorder... ahah yeah a little easier said then done! Were they really?! There were only around 15 people there on my applicant visit day ahah! Yes I am quite excited, but equally paranoid about it :C
Reply 8
Original post by Cloud(:
i'm pretty sure no one cares about piercings these days? well maybe parents but not youngers? like i have a nose ring and tones on my ears not to mention my tattoos and ever changing hair colour,.. and then i have plenty of friends who are more metal than face? so i don't think that matters.. and im 2 years older, its pretty common for people to be older at uni, the majority of people i have met are a year or two older, some are even older than that, a year doesn't make a difference.. and yeah some were with parents but then again when we had the individual workshops they were without parents? so that was a chance?
i think you need to get out of your comfort zone and just like chill, everyone is in the same situation, most people will be moving away from home for the first time (i know i am) so everyone is shy.. just need to walk up to people and start chatting to them.
that's what i do, and yeah i am really loud and confident so i know it's easier for me than other people.. but im still really nervous around new people, however no one is going to say no to having a new friend in a strange new city.

Well.... some people do, you still get a lot of negatives from people about them, someone said they'd rip my septum ring out if I didn't 'get out of my ****ing way' apparently people don't know what manners are anymore ahah.. well I only know have four lips, septum, nose and smiley, but I'll probably have dahlias, double tongue and the other side of my nose done, I've already removed a lot but yeah, they are rather addictive! I equally have tattoos, however they are invisible to most so :3 Hah I equally know people who have like 30+ piercings, people tend to look at them as freaks even me who has so few. Yes I know I'm not too worried about being a year older at all! Well... for us we had a thirty minute like 'half lecture' and we were asked to answer a few exam questions, so we got very little ideal time to talk and as I said above I do suffer some personality disorders so :c

Yes I know, but again it is a LOT more difficult for me then someone such as yourself, mine worries go a lot further then just nerves, most people will not be going with 8 different mental illness' that can extremely affect them, I'm not so shy... I love speaking to people but sometimes things get to much for me and I have to get away from everyone, also I struggle getting close to people which is the big reason I'm worried about sharing in a dorm, I tend to push people away subconsciously which tends to make people hate me because they feel as if I don't like them or want to know them, were as I don't even know I'm doing it /: Yes I guess so, I was hoping because it's a small city, people aren't too picky with friends! Yeah I'm just really crazy paranoid about it all so I wanted to chat to a few people just because it's nice to sometimes c:
Reply 9
I hope so :c It was the same for me as well! I'm kind of tempted more toward small town more now, because I feel as if I might be able to make a few friends, or that because it's a small community ever will be a lot closer but c: Well, it's easier said then done, I currently have seven visible piercings, I had 16 but I've removed a few in preparation, however I'll probably be at 10-15 again when I start so... also a little bothered because I struggle extremely socially so it takes a lot of understanding from other person to be able to get on with me! Not to sound too vain though.. but I don't feel like a horrible person, I tend to be quite a nice person who sticks my neck out for others, but people generally cannot understand me, I've found the few friends I have are intellectuals who are at uni, or going to uni,so that's why I have my fingers crossed, but it's still so nervy :c

Well,ill be nice to you if we ever cross paths :biggrin: and don't be worried about your piercings,I think they look pretty cool but I'm too scared to get any done ><

I'm also a year older than most after spending another year in education,don't worry about that (if you are) it doesn't make much of a difference :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Honestly, you'll be fine :smile: new place away from home, most are in the same boat. Don't let your illnesses define you, most people are more understanding than you'd think, and if you see me about say hey, I don't. Bite.. Just talk too much. Feel fere to pm me if you need a friend at lincoln who understands. :smile:
Reply 11
You'll be fine! If you're into going out, most places have no problems with piercings, and there are a few awesome alternative bars and clubs. Don't worry about it.

Quick Reply

Latest