Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What do southerners think of Northerners? Watch

ReputationRep:
    YORKSHIRE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Ketchup/mayo/salt & vinegar.

Though I don't like any of the above so just have them with salt.
    Haha, okay. You should try them with curry. It's nice. Yummmy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex360)
    Salt and vinegar. Or just BBQ sauce/ketchup basically

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, you should really try it with curry or gravy. Yummmyyyyyy!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm from the London/Essex area and from my few trips to Sheffield, Manchester, Wolverhampton and Newcastle I've built the assumptions that northerners are about one stone chubbier than southerners. I don't mean northerners are fat but I was on a train in Manchester and it looked like a train in Romford but with one key difference: everyone (I MEAN EVERYONE) was at least 10 kilos overweight in Manchester.

Generally speaking Northerners are nice people, in my experience they've been pretty sociable in clubs and bars and whatnot and after talking to some of them, they actually think London is a rougher area than the North. While in London we think the complete opposite lol.

Most of my pals have the general stereotype that northerners have bad teeth, rampant unemployment and even worse manners. But none of them have actually met people from the North, yet they call themselves "English". Other than the "above average" unemployment, I can safely say that they're not so different; the north and south.

Edit: also no offense, but Northerners are a few years behind on swag. I went up there last summer and everyone was wearing the G-star clothes that were big in London in '09. But then again, London is one of Europe's fashion capitals so maybe we're just ahead of everyone ^.^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    The fact that they think that anything south of Nottingham is the South is quite endearingly naive. The Midlands is a very different sort of area from the South East, which is what most people think of when they think of stereotypical Southerners.
    No more naive than those in the south who think anything north of Watford is the north!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    No more naive than those in the south who think anything north of Watford is the north!
    See my 2nd post in this thread, which addresses that exact problem.

I'm not really either northern or southern but people make assumptions simply because I live in London now.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    actually, at Watford Junction there's this road sign for a motorway and if you get on that M road then you will see a sign that literally says "The North"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah_22_16)
    My friend is Northern and I love how he shortens every word/sentence as much as possible and always rib him for it i.e in the bar becomes 'int bar'. Endearing really.
    The further north you go, we don't say that lol That tends to be a Yorkshire/Lancashire saying.

'Pet', 'howwai like' and regular use of canny become more prevalent. Till you hit Scotland and they the subtitles are brought out depending on area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gijops)
    actually, at Watford Junction there's this road sign for a motorway and if you get on that M road then you will see a sign that literally says "The North"
    Surely that just means that the road goes to 'The North', this sign for 'The South' is near where I live for example: http://goo.gl/maps/KpJ1U

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gijops)
    Nearly every major road going North will have a sign saying North on it with a list of places and how many miles away they are. The Watford sign isn't special.

ReputationRep:
    Anything south of Hull is South

ReputationRep:
    Well being from London, people from up North seem much nicer

ReputationRep:
    Surely that just means that the road goes to 'The North', this sign for 'The South' is near where I live for example: http://goo.gl/maps/KpJ1U
    CHEEZUS you live 13 miles north of leeds? u must be freezing, thats like in the Arctic circle

ReputationRep:
    One key detail: The south has Essex which is the most aurally appealing accent in the UK hands down. Northern accents are still swag but I'm from the US originally so I'm the judge of English accents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Guess I'm spoiled living and growing up in London but tbh when I think about places like Grimsby, Carlisle, Hull I just think of high unemployment, old fellas drinking pints of bitter and tbh, a lot of chavs.

Then again I consider everywhere to be grim compared with London. Even somewhere like Birmingham which is a big city.
    You are aware that Grimsby is a town and London is a city, right? So making any sort of comparison between them automatically disadvantages Grimsby. Also, it's one of the biggest ports in Europe and is located near to Conoco Philips and LOR, which makes the area incredibly industrial. Due to this, there aren't many overly 'academic' employment opportunities in the area. That lack of opportunities will be made even more visible once compared to the ridiculous amount present in London. I come from Immingham, which is near to Grimsby so we have town-town banter when we see each other, but it's an historically rich area that hasn't had the opportunity to develop technologically, just like the majority of Northern Lincolnshire.

And there aren't a lot of chavs.. that's just so wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting Chavs....:hat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeBuche)
    Anything south of Hull is South
    Hmmmm this is wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrow.7)
    Disgusting Chavs....:hat:
    Loool have you been to Essex!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hart1995)
    Hmmmm this is wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmmmm no it isn't. I can't abide with Mancunians and Scousers calling themselves real Northerners, I really don't want to be associated with that rabble.

ReputationRep:
    You lot down south don't know what real :beerglass: is. You lot drink Shandy!!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.