Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What do southerners think of Northerners? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    You missed out Yorkshire and the Humber :rolleyes:

Edit: East Anglia too.
    But they fall into the 5 I mentioned when it comes to government regions, the NHS and the BBc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    This isn't even a Northern thing, more just a narrow corridor pretty much exactly aligned with the M62 and mainly consisting of smaller towns (only Leeds has a team of the big cities).
    /Cough London Broncos

ReputationRep:
    People actually argue about the North and South? Surely, it's just your either a nice person or a [email protected] no matter which part of the country you're from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    But they fall into the 5 I mentioned when it comes to government regions, the NHS and the BBc
    Not true

Where'd you get that information from?

http://www.yorksandhumber.nhs.uk/

ReputationRep:
    My housemate is Northern and we occassionally jest him about it seen as though he does the same to us all the time about being Southern. Personally, I enjoy a Northern accent- especially someone from Leeds or Sheffield! On the whole me Northern friends tend to be a bit more laid back and friendlier, but I can't base what they are like to the whole of the population that lives up there, so in summary- I don't have any judgements towards them other than they are perhaps more friendly and fun to be around; and I do find a lot of the accents incredibly sexy!

ReputationRep:
    Not true

Where'd you get that information from?

http://www.yorksandhumber.nhs.uk/
    Oh ok-well with hadn't really heard of Humberside tbh-and I keep abreast of current affairs
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    /Cough London Broncos
    No one really goes to their games though, even when they tried confusing people by naming tgem after Harlequins!

ReputationRep:
    Once upon a time, in the Kingdom of Heaven , God went missing for six days. Eventually, Archangel Michael found him on the seventh day resting. He enquired of God,
    ‘Where have you been?’
    God pointed downwards through the clouds. Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said,
    ‘What is it?’
    ‘It’s a planet,’ replied God, ‘and I’ve put LIFE on it. I’m going to call it Earth and it’s going to be a great place of balance.’
    ‘Balance?’ inquired Michael, still confused.
    God explained, pointing down to different parts of the Earth. ‘For example, North America will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while South America is going to be poor; the Middle East over there will be a hot spot, and Russia will be a cold spot. Over there I’ve placed a continent of white people and over there is a continent of black people.’
    God continued, pointing to the different countries. This one will be extremely hot and arid while this one will be very cold and covered in ice.’

The Archangel , impressed by God’s work, then pointed to another area of land and asked,
    ‘What’s that?’
    ‘Ah,’ said God. That’s the North of England , the most glorious place on earth.
    There are beautiful people, seven Premiership football teams in the North West alone, and many impressive cities; it is the home of the world’s finest artists, musicians, writers, thinkers, explorers and politicians. The people from the North of England are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous and they’re going to be found travelling the world. They’ll be extremely sociable, hard-working and high-achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as speakers of truth.’

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then proclaimed,
    ‘What about balance God, you said there will be BALANCE!’
    God replied very wisely,
    ‘Wait till you see the bunch of tossers I’m putting down South!’

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WG95)
    Being from Nottingham, I've always wondered whether people would consider me to be from the north or the south. To be honest I can't imagine there being much difference between people apart from accents, I think there's more of a difference between people depending on the place they live, be it a large city or a rural village.
    Every time I've visited Nottingham for University purposes I've referred to it as being more Southern or that when traveling we are 'going down South', I certainly wouldn't say it's Northern in comparison to where I am from, I'm from a city close to Newcastle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    London is like a different country-

England splits into 5 bits:

London and South East

South West

MIDLANDS

North East

North West
    I would count London and the South East as separate entities. For the most part I don't think London is particularly similar to the counties around it.

ReputationRep:
    They worship the old gods of the forest

ReputationRep:
    King in the North !

ReputationRep:
    Southerners are so unfriendly! Or maybe that's just London.

Smiling at people in that city gets you a death stare back!

ReputationRep:
    Aren't they all farmers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)
    I'm from the North, and my sister goes to UEA. She got quite a bit of 'banter' from the Southerners claiming that she was stupid because she's from the North. I doubt that this represents everyone's opinion, but it's sad that some people are bigoted enough to believe it!
    It's funny that you think UEA is in the "South" :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayyah)
    It's funny that you think UEA is in the "South" :teehee:
    It is in the south. Sorry to break it to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    What about Lincolnshire? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was northern. My grandad is a proper Yorkshireman and he has the best accent ever. Also, I moved to Norwich for uni but grew up in Scotland and the water in the South is disgusting!! One of my best friends here is from Wigan and we will literally go on full-blown rants about the water in the north being vastly superior to the water in the south. Either way, northern accents are brilliant, they are definitely my favourite English accents :love: I was born in Cornwall and still have the southern accent so I have so much northern envy. :lol:

Edit: Also, Yorkshire got as many gold medals in the Olympics as Australia. Hell. Yes. :love:

ReputationRep:
    It really depends what part of the north they're from, generally it's a thick-but-friendly stereotype
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    Aren't they all farmers?
    That's southerners, apparently.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.