The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What do southerners think of Northerners?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Archimonkey
What do Southerners think of Northerners? Eg, accent etc. What kind of impression do you have? Let's say Southern as in South of Nottingham.....

The majority of Southerners think that the North only consists of Leeds, Bradford, Manchester and Liverpool :smile:. I'd say that Northern cities are really ****, but the vast amount of villages and towns are much different (I live in Harrogate, which is deemed as posh and wealthy). Although, I don't see how Southerners can judge us when they have this guy representing them:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ayyah
It's funny that you think UEA is in the "South" :teehee:

Hahaha, it's in the South. Then again, from the north of Scotland pretty much everything is in the south. :lol:
Reply 82
I love the accents (Mancs and Yorkshire). Yet that might be due to 10 years of Coronation Street watching.

Original post by Ayyah
It's funny that you think UEA is in the "South" :teehee:

Well it's an odd one, and to an extent you're right that it's not totally down south. I don't even know where an earth we are haha, but everybody here considers it south, all my social groups have southern accents (not the horrible Norfolk accent though) and it's classified as a uni in the 'South-East' (on TSR university forum it comes under that group).

Original post by KD35
Aren't they all farmers?

Really?! I thought Northerners thought that about us..:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Rooster523
My apologies, I did indeed mean everything north of Watford.

Cambridge is full of northeners.

Depends if you mean ARU or Cambridge Uni - some colleges only have one or two northerners whereas mine has a load.

You generally get a bit of grief for your accent/mindset (I've been called tactless by Southerners in the past - I only tell it how it is! :tongue: ) but otherwise that's about it.
Original post by wibletg
Depends if you mean ARU or Cambridge Uni - some colleges only have one or two northerners whereas mine has a load.

You generally get a bit of grief for your accent/mindset (I've been called tactless by Southerners in the past - I only tell it how it is! :tongue: ) but otherwise that's about it.

Cambridge is north of Watford and therefore, must be full of northerners :wink:

I should probably stop giving grief to the north, I'm off to Durham in October and will no doubt end up being lynched.
Reply 85
Original post by Rooster523
Cambridge is north of Watford and therefore, must be full of northerners :wink:

I should probably stop giving grief to the north, I'm off to Durham in October and will no doubt end up being lynched.

Nah, Durham is full of southerners :tongue: you'll be fine - as long as you don't piss off the locals :tongue:
Reply 86
Original post by OU Student
Do you find that your northern friends say things like "you live on the edge of nowhere"? I also think the words "a billion miles from civilisation" came up. As has being now known as Almost French, because I'm closer to France than I am them.

Haha yes.

I used to live in Scotland in between living being born in Plymouth, and moving back down and I get a lot of those comments.

Everyone thinks we're nothing but farmers LOL. Especially if you're Cornish
a song comes to mind...
Reply 88
I can't wait to meet them. Fingers crossed(for good results)
actually a football chant, i guess.
Reply 90
I love them! :biggrin: Just everything about them, how they talk, their mannerisms.... also any guy with a northern accent instantly becomes 10x more attractive :biggrin:
I'm originally from Bucks but I live in Sheffield and I can honestly say I find northerners far more welcoming and friendlier than people down south. They also tend to think all southerners are posh, as I have, on occasion been described as, and I quote 'a proper posh bird'. My best friend's from up north and he's always teasing me about my accent :tongue:
Reply 92
Im from London and i dont have any prejudice about northerners. i have a few friends from up north. tbh i think people from the north are quite nice and i like northern accents :biggrin:
I'm not sure if I'm a fan of 'the north' stereotypes or not. I do feel like there is this immediate judgement when someone hears my accent for the first time - despite the fact that my accent is comparatively mild, I still feel like I sometimes get classified as a 'rustic northerner.' Of course I generalise a lot.

One thing I have noticed is that when the rest of the country talks about the 'North West,' they usually mean Manchester. The only time Cumbria ever gets on the news is because of extreme weather and that one time when there was a serial killer wandering about - other than that you'd think we don't exist!

It made me laugh how many people complained about the cold and rain in Durham when I visited last week. It wasn't even properly raining!
Reply 94
I always liked a sign on the M25 that said in big capital letters "THE NORTH". I don't really think anything of people of "THE NORTH" but I haven't been further north than Cadbury World that I remember so I can't really form an opinion. I like some of the accents - with an emphasis on some! :tongue:
Reply 95
I don't think anyone likes the accent where I'm from (Bradford) it's either Pakistani or sounds like a goat. Geordies and Scots have the nicest accents (please don't leave us Scotland!!)
Reply 96
Original post by Leanorie
I don't think anyone likes the accent where I'm from (Bradford) it's either Pakistani or sounds like a goat. Geordies and Scots have the nicest accents (please don't leave us Scotland!!)

I love the Bradford accent, its probably a big factor in me watching Dynamo on TV, haha! Just be glad you don't have a brummie accent like my poor self :P
Reply 97
Original post by Jodie_668
I love the Bradford accent, its probably a big factor in me watching Dynamo on TV, haha! Just be glad you don't have a brummie accent like my poor self :P

Haha Dynamo must be one of our best exports. It's nice to hear someone actually likes the way we say 'fohhh -ne' (phone) a Brummie accent ain't all bad either.
Northern accents are the most abominable thing on the planet.

I managed to get away with very few people knowing and no one suspecting til it came to midwinter and still going out in naught but a vest. We do tend to be a lot better at avoiding the cold, though all in all the negative stereotypes (which tend to ring true) far outweigh any positive ones...
Original post by Vionar
I always liked a sign on the M25 that said in big capital letters "THE NORTH". I don't really think anything of people of "THE NORTH" but I haven't been further north than Cadbury World that I remember so I can't really form an opinion. I like some of the accents - with an emphasis on some! :tongue:

you'd hate mine... my accent is awful

Latest

Trending

Trending