Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Are You Saving Sex For Marriage? Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you saving sex for marriage?
    Yes and I'm a Christian
    30.95%
    Yes and I'm a Muslim
    42.86%
    Yes and I belong to another religion
    5.95%
    Yes and I'm not religious
    20.24%

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 321zero)
    Does this mean you abstain from ALL sexual activity?
    Well yes. Most cultures and religions forbid ALL sexual activity before marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Well yes. Most cultures and religions forbid ALL sexual activity before marriage.
    Thank god (wahay) I'm an atheist

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am also I'm planning to refrain from other stuff such as foreplay as well. The reasons are 2 fold. One is because I am Muslim but of course many Muslims do have sex outside of marriage, the other is (and people might find this silly and of course it is by no means a prerequisite of a loving relationship) that I like the idea of saving myself for my soul mate and think it will make it all the more special for me. Of course this is all hypothetical as I still haven't found the one yet if ever.

But while reading this thread I wondered if I would be alright if the person who I fell in love with wasn't a virgin, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter and I would still marry her but am interested in what other people on this thread who are saving themselves for marriage think. Would you marry someone who wasn't a virgin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usamakhanlodhi)
    Yes I am also I'm planning to refrain from other stuff such as foreplay as well. The reasons are 2 fold. One is because I am Muslim but of course many Muslims do have sex outside of marriage, the other is (and people might find this silly and of course it is by no means a prerequisite of a loving relationship) that I like the idea of saving myself for my soul mate and think it will make it all the more special for me. Of course this is all hypothetical as I still haven't found the one yet if ever.

But while reading this thread I wondered if I would be alright if the person who I fell in love with wasn't a virgin, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter and I would still marry her but am interested in what other people on this thread who are saving themselves for marriage think. Would you marry someone who wasn't a virgin?
    I am a Christian female and for me it depends in the individual and why they are not a virgin is it because they were a man whore it was it down to then being in a couple of commuted relationships which they thought would last.

I am not judgemental as people are different but if I am going to save myself for my husband then it would be unlikely he would have been overly sexual active before being with me as it tells me a lot about his beliefs/morals, his overall mindset.

Of course thus is not always the case as people's life path differ from one another. But this is my general mind set a the mo!

I also find this topic interesting as it is natural that you would like to get with a like minded individual in soul and body.

Definitely no way!

If a guy I liked wanted to have sex with me, and I also wanted to have sex with him, if anything, we would be having too much sex! (If that's even possible).

It's the greatest thing in the world. In fact, I cannot wait.

ReputationRep:
    Christian and I didn't wait, never planned to. If God loves me he won't mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Yeah I realised that as soon as I posted it :facepalm:
    Is that a Nazi Salute emote you used there?

ReputationRep:
    Why is there not an option to say no? :/

While it would be nice to wait until I'm with someone I know I truly love, I'm not overly bothered about 'saving myself'.
    After all, by the time I've met my my future partner, it'll be likely he will have had previous sexual experiences anyway! It doesn't make them a man whore, (unless the number is extremely high ) just makes them more experienced I guess

ReputationRep:
    Why is there no no in the poll. I wanted to compare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hibaj)
    Why is there no no in the poll. I wanted to compare.
    I stupidly forgot to add one and I can't edit it
    but the thread has had nearly 3500 views, so if you assume all the people who viewed the thread and didn't vote are not saving sex for marriage then it's about 2% of TSR users who are saving sex for marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misstery)
    Having sex isn't exactly necessary and can also have negative consequences.
    actually, abstinence can be an extremely harmful for some people. So yes, you could argue sex is somewhat necessary. Anyway, the positives far outweigh any possible negative consequenses as long as you use common sense. There are no good arguments for saving sex for marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    actually, abstinence can be an extremely harmful for some people. So yes, you could argue sex is somewhat necessary. Anyway, the positives far outweigh any possible negative consequenses as long as you use common sense. There are no good arguments for saving sex for marriage.
    'Can' and 'for some people' is far from justification for the blanket statements you make.

ReputationRep:
    'Can' and 'for some people' is far from justification for the blanket statements you make.
    The former half of my post does not contradict the latter.
    If you have some actual good reasons why saving sex for marriage is a good thing, I'd love hear... enlighten me :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If you have some actual good reasons why saving sex for marriage is a good thing, I'd love hear... enlighten me :rolleyes:
    You're the one making the claims here. I don't have to prove anything. But for what it's worth, I've so far saved sex for marriage and I'm incredibly happy. I'm in a loving relationship and don't feel there's been even a single one negative thing about it. You're the one telling me (apparently) my happiness is stupid. Well excuse me for existing. If you're the one who spends your time strutting around insulting people and generally trying to put people who are different from you down then I'd suggest I'm probably more satisfied with my life choices than you.

ReputationRep:
    You're the one making the claims here. I don't have to prove anything. But for what it's worth, I've so far saved sex for marriage and I'm incredibly happy. I'm in a loving relationship and don't feel there's been even a single one negative thing about it. You're the one telling me (apparently) my happiness is stupid. Well excuse me for existing. If you're the one who spends your time strutting around insulting people and generally trying to put people who are different from you down then I'd suggest I'm probably more satisfied with my life choices than you.
    What an insecure response
    You didn't really address the request anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why you are being so rude and condescending.

Different people have different opinions, and what is a good reason for someone might not be a good reason for someone else.

Here's just a few reasons

- If you and your spouse are both virgins then you don't need to worry about STDs (unless of course you got AIDs in the womb or something). Condoms don't protect against all STDs.

- You don't need to worry about being used for sex

At the end of the day some people want sex to be something to share with their spouse and only their spouse, and I don't understand why you're so offended by that, because it doesn't affect you in any way.

ReputationRep:

Bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    I really don't understand why you are being so rude and condescending.

Different people have different opinions, and what is a good reason for someone might not be a good reason for someone else.

Here's just a few reasons

- If you and your spouse are both virgins then you don't need to worry about STDs (unless of course you got AIDs in the womb or something). Condoms don't protect against all STDs.

- You don't need to worry about being used for sex

At the end of the day some people want sex to be something to share with their spouse and only their spouse, and I don't understand why you're so offended by that, because it doesn't affect you in any way.
    Condoms protect against the vast majority of STDs and if you and your partner trust each other (no cheating) and go to the clinic on a regular basis you will have very little to worry about.

If you are in a long term relationship with a partner you trust (you're in a relationship with them so you should probably trust them anyway...) then being used for sex really shouldn't be a concern.

I completely disagree with your viewpoint because I find it extremely illogical to suppress natural urges.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.