Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Mass murderer Anders Breivik asks for permission to leave prison for mother's funeral Watch

• View Poll Results: Where do you stand on this most heinous suggestion, old chap?
    Let him go, lad.
    37.19%
    Nay, deny permission.
    62.81%

ReputationRep:
    This is kind of disgusting. Very hitlerish in nature. Someone who cares for his mother and feels distressed by her death but was willing to kill innocent people? regardless of who they were and what they meant to friends and family. Kill him and let it be over with.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think he should be allowed to be released on temporary license and walk into the funeral.

He should be allowed to go, but not by himself, and not be allowed to walk freely. He should simply be taken in as discreetly as possible, be sat down beside plain-clothes officers with some sort of weapon, and be handcuffed by his hands and legs. Anything he says to anyone (except prayers etc.) shouldn't be allowed and there should be some sort of punishment if he does. If that's still a risk then the least they could do is record it.

This man well and truly is a monster, but unless if Breivik is an escapologist, he wouldn't pose a risk if he was pretty much kept in prison at the church. I refuse to join the bandwagon, killing him wouldn't change anything at all. If anything, it would be giving him what he wants, some sort of freedom. And no, I don't care about his meals being served.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirHas)
    Prison isn't a fit place for that, he should get the lethal injection!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you are advocating corporal punishment in Norway, then you need to go through the legal process of trying to change the law through whatever Norway's equivalent of parliament is. Slim chance, seeming as you're not a Norwegian citizen. The thread is about whether or not a prisoner should be denied a fundamental and basic right, not about what your personal feelings are to this man.

ReputationRep:
    If anything, if he attended his mother's funeral, allowing him to fleetingly look upon the outside world once more would cause him more distress than being locked up without any breaks. What's worse than deprivation? Being able to see what you're going without.

In any case, it's a situation I wouldn't like to decide upon myself. Completely heartbreaking from all angles. I'm sure the prison has a system for dealing with situations like this and they'll act on it accordingly. The most likely outcome is that he will be deemed too much of a threat to himself and others to be let out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamgreatness)
    he shouldn't be denied his basic human rights. He should be allowed to attend his mothers funeral. It's his mother for goodness sake, show some more compassion people.
    After the number of funerals he himself caused...?
    I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    If you are advocating corporal punishment in Norway, then you need to go through the legal process of trying to change the law through whatever Norway's equivalent of parliament is. Slim chance, seeming as you're not a Norwegian citizen. The thread is about whether or not a prisoner should be denied a fundamental and basic right, not about what your personal feelings are to this man.
    He showed no compassion to his victims. Therefore we should show him none.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree with you, but unfortunately I have to be the arse that corrects you, sorry. It's capital* punishment, not corporal. Corporal is physical pain that amounts to no death.

ReputationRep:
    Let him go, and then take him straight back to prison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xelarose)
    Completely agree with you, but unfortunately I have to be the arse that corrects you, sorry. It's capital* punishment, not corporal. Corporal is physical pain that amounts to no death.
    Ah, i thought it looked wrong. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Seriously? People like you are so annoying.

Don't let him go, and don't even open it for discussion.
    Care to expand on that? And yes, once the severity of a crime reaches a certain level i.e. murder, the privileges they are given shouldn't differ based on how emotive the case is. I'm not even advocating letting him go necessarily, just treating him no differently to any other inmate who's crime was of a similar severity.
    Feel free to actually defend your position rather than just stating it, calling me annoying and then stating the the discussion should be closed. Because that's really persuasive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    Circular and potentially dangerous argument. The state is built upon morals and foundations, we can't let our emotions get in the way.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, i thought it looked wrong. Thanks
    No problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    After the number of funerals he himself caused...?
    I don't think so.
    How many funerals have we caused in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the countless wars humanity has taken part in? Should we not let tony Blair attend a relatives funeral? Oh wait, he's not even in prison. Classical case of letting your emotions eclipse the argument

ReputationRep:
    How is even being considered?
    That's basically the whole idea of prison... you stay there and you can't get out.

ReputationRep:
    Circular and potentially dangerous argument. The state is built upon morals and foundations, we can't let our emotions get in the way.
    It's not emotions, it's common sense. Have you ever spared a thought for the victims' families? No, of course you haven't, because that gets in the way of your idealistic, rose-tinted views.

Disgusting and abhorrent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    Care to expand on that? And yes, once the severity of a crime reaches a certain level i.e. murder, the privileges they are given shouldn't differ based on how emotive the case is. I'm not even advocating letting him go necessarily, just treating him no differently to any other inmate who's crime was of a similar severity.
    Feel free to actually defend your position rather than just stating it, calling me annoying and then stating the the discussion should be closed. Because that's really persuasive.
    Similar severity? Define it.

Oh and in your post you said "Serious violent crime" .. that could mean stabbing someone.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter if I'm a Norwegian citizen or not, this guy killed innocent kids please try and justify that?
    And you believe he should be treated like a civilised human?
    You are talking about basic human right, well he had his chance now he should face to full power of the law.
    And as I said he should get deported and get the lethal injection!!!!
    His mother funereal should be the last thing on his mind...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not emotions, it's common sense. Have you ever spared a thought for the victims' families? No, of course you haven't, because that gets in the way of your idealistic, rose-tinted views.

Disgusting and abhorrent.
    i am right wing.

ReputationRep:
    100% agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirHas)
    It doesn't matter if I'm a Norwegian citizen or not, this guy killed innocent kids please try and justify that?
    And you believe he should be treated like a civilised human?
    You are talking about basic human right, well he had his chance now he should face to full power of the law.
    And as I said he should get deported and get the lethal injection!!!!
    His mother funereal should be the last thing on his mind...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.- thomas jefferson.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.