Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Mass murderer Anders Breivik asks for permission to leave prison for mother's funeral Watch

• View Poll Results: Where do you stand on this most heinous suggestion, old chap?
    Let him go, lad.
    37.19%
    Nay, deny permission.
    62.81%

ReputationRep:
    Yes let him its not going to change the fact that he will spend the rest of his life in prison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamgreatness)
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.- thomas jefferson.
    This is not a history lesson, and if this guy was any other person he would have been dead!!
    No court hearing for the whole world to see, that big platform
    His human rights would be out of the window.
    So please save that talk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirHas)
    This is not a history lesson, and if this guy was any other person he would have been dead!!
    No court hearing for the whole world to see, that big platform
    His human rights would be out of the window.
    So please save that talk

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i think you're going off on a tangent now. I still stand by being in favour of him attending his mothers funeral.

ReputationRep:
    yes, because showing sadness and grief is normal behavior. The idea is that when he dies in prison he will be less of a psycho;prison is meant to reform along with punish people.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't grieve or show any regret for the 77 dead, would he really grieve for his mother?

ReputationRep:
    i think you're going off on a tangent now. I still stand by being in favour of him attending his mothers funeral.
    You're the one going off topic, I'm just stating the facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If his mother was on her last legs and desperately wanted to see him, then I might allow it (if I were on the prison board). For his mother's sake, not his own.

Now his mother is dead and can't possibly care, I don't see why he should be allowed to go to the funeral. That would be entirely for his own sake/pleasure (?) and frankly, I see no reason to give him anything he wants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    yes, because showing sadness and grief is normal behavior. The idea is that when he dies in prison he will be less of a psycho;prison is meant to reform along with punish people.
    Do you firmly believe that?

I thought I had a fair amount of faith in the system - but not that much. Breivik will never be 'normal', or anywhere near.

ReputationRep:
    You're the one going off topic, I'm just stating the facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you haven't stated any facts, only your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Similar severity? Define it.

Oh and in your post you said "Serious violent crime" .. that could mean stabbing someone.
    Mass murder, systemic rape or child abuse, repeated violence of an extreme nature or single episodes of these cases which were particularly awful. His crime would have to be adjudged to be in the worst bracket of crimes and his sentence reflects that, but to start drawing arbitrary lines about which prisoners can or can't go to funerals or do other things outside of a courtroom in this way is not a good way to run a justice system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweaty Tramp)
    Yes let him its not going to change the fact that he will spend the rest of his life in prison.
    He's actually not spending life in prison. You should try reading.

ReputationRep:
    you haven't stated any facts, only your opinions.
    The truth still remains, he shouldn't be alive let alone attend anyone funereal!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The truth still remains, he shouldn't be alive let alone attend anyone funereal!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    he should be allowed to live, and he should be allowed to attend his mothers funeral.

ReputationRep:
    How many funerals have we caused in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the countless wars humanity has taken part in? Should we not let tony Blair attend a relatives funeral? Oh wait, he's not even in prison. Classical case of letting your emotions eclipse the argument
    Er, if I'm not mistaken I have caused zero funerals.

ReputationRep:
    He got to say goodbye. His victims never did. His mother won't know one way or another whether he attends or not.

ReputationRep:
    he should be allowed to live, and he should be allowed to attend his mothers funeral.
    I actually think you're a really sick person mentally of course, or you're actually a fan of this monster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    Mass murder, systemic rape or child abuse, repeated violence of an extreme nature or single episodes of these cases which were particularly awful. His crime would have to be adjudged to be in the worst bracket of crimes and his sentence reflects that, but to start drawing arbitrary lines about which prisoners can or can't go to funerals or do other things outside of a courtroom in this way is not a good way to run a justice system.
    And in my opinion, the discretion of the prison board is a more fair, humane method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    Er, if I'm not mistaken I have caused zero funerals.
    you missed the point.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think you're a really sick person mentally of course, or you're actually a fan of this monster.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This thread isn't about whether we are fans of this "monster" or not. And no, im not a sick person.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.