Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So here hoes. I hate poetry and in my boarding school we have been given an option to rid of the poetry section of our English language controlled assessment. My teacher had to go and complicate things and make us come ip with tend why in the mind of a student should poetry be banned... Good luck guys!!!

ReputationRep:
    Because it's one of the least entertaining art forms possible?

ReputationRep:
    Because studying it is more dull than watching grass grow?

When I was doing my English GCSEs, deciding how long I should put my bread in the toaster provoked more thought than Shakespeare's sonets.

ReputationRep:
    Because it doesn't even rhyme

Because English teachers blurt out a load of crap about the intended meanings of the Poets, when in reality Thomas Hardy was probably so high on anti-depressants when writing about Emma that he had no idea what he was actually writing.

ReputationRep:
    Because usually it's only the pretentious snobs who try and act like they have high intellect. When in reality they're spoilt little brats, who only have a posh accent because their parents are rich and make them attend private schools. Apart from the rare few who have a genuine passion and ability for the poetic tongue. Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    I think poetry is complete bull****. Especially poetry that makes no sense whatsoever, but is over-sensationalised and has nonsensical meaning forced into it by literature ****/poetry enthusiasts.

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm sure people have probably committed auicide having to listen to the boring crap. If I ever have to study the stuff they put in the gcse syllabus again I'll shoot myself.

ReputationRep:
    I hated studying it and it wasn't even one of those subjects that i studied and thought " i hate this but it is improving skill X" it has had no impact on my life or future studies.

plus it all crap, it's searching for a meaning that isn't there. I often thought that if a poet saw the interpretation of their own work they would sit there thinking "what the ****? it's just a ****ing river move on"

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone deluded?

It is an art form like any other musical piece, painting or novel. It brings enjoyment to many and is a tool to manifest ones emotions and thoughts into something beautiful or terrific or devastating. I cannot believe the ignorance in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it should, as much as there is a large amount of hate in this thread towards poetry, i rather enjoy it, not to be a "literature fag" and all but i think it deserves some credit. The poetry some of you have read in school is not the only material out there, its like being taught Mozart or Bach in lessons and deciding music was "bull****" just because you didn't enjoy classical. Have none of you seen The Dead Poets Society?

ReputationRep:
    Limbo, limbo, limbo like me!

I still get flashbacks from 'half caste' whenever I play the piano. And that ungrateful girl with the Pakistani aunt wanting corduroy and denim?!

It would appear that the only parts of the curriculum involving poems that stuck with me were the useless parts.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Mr Faust)
    Is everyone deluded?

It is an art form like any other musical piece, painting or novel. It brings enjoyment to many and is a tool to manifest ones emotions and thoughts into something beautiful or terrific or devastating. I cannot believe the ignorance in this thread.
    I agree however I think in most schools due to the way the poetry is taught and revision guides etc interpretations are forced into you. If you read examiner reports for English gcse papers they mark based on interpretation. We arent even fully able to interpret anymore!

ReputationRep:
    Oh let's get rid of maths too because that's boring. Oh and lets get rid of geography and history cos they're boring. Bye bye home ec- hated that subject! Physics, chemistry and definitely biology byeeeeeee. Oh why not just get rid of the whole curriculum! It's all boring!

Now the world can be a much happier, stupider and ignorant place! Yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Liberty)

I agree however I think in most schools due to the way the poetry is taught and revision guides etc interpretations are forced into you. If you read examiner reports for English gcse papers they mark based on interpretation. We arent even fully able to interpret anymore!
    My own experiences are that as long as you don't interpret something ridiculous and back up your points then you can interpret a poem how you like. Eloquence, literary understanding of devices, their effects, analysis etc. are marked. Obviously, examiners delving deeply into your interpretations poses an enormous logistical nightmare at GCSEs. However, the disgust to poetry is shocking to me. You don't have to know about the formation of the grand canyon to recognise its beauty. Poetry should be embraced beyond academia - all I have is pity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Because I'm sure people have probably committed auicide having to listen to the boring crap. If I ever have to study the stuff they put in the gcse syllabus again I'll shoot myself.
    Hear hear

I enjoy poetry.

I find it frightening how a school would contemplate removing something just because their students don't like it. You may as well give them the power to remove certain exam questions because the specific topic is 'boring' or 'too hard'.

I hated poetry in school. It wasn't until later I came to appreciate it. What I don't like is how teachers teach it. Everyone has different interpretations, yet many teachers seem to think there's only one way of interpreting a specific line or stanza.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.