Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,
    I've got an essay to do. The title is 'how has the character of warfare evolved in the modern and contemporary world?'

I can write the essay quite happily without input, but any would be gratefully received.

Ta!

Ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Hey all,
    I've got an essay to do. The title is 'how has the character of warfare evolved in the modern and contemporary world?'

I can write the essay quite happily without input, but any would be gratefully received.

Ta!

Ed
    i don't get that. Surely war has always been war. The only thing that has changed is the weapons used.

ReputationRep:
    Tednol, are you by any chance running itunes?

And I dont get that question either, looks like its essay time all round, I have 4000 words on cholesterol to write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Tednol, are you by any chance running itunes?

And I dont get that question either, looks like its essay time all round, I have 4000 words on cholesterol to write.
    Yes I am running Itunes. I'm 'Eddy'.

The essay is for an international relations module. I think largely they are talking about how strategy evolved post 1945. And I'm doing economics... slightly irrelevent I feel.

ReputationRep:
    I know the Renaissance is also called "early modern" so exactly what do THEY mean by "modern". Adding "contemporary" would suggest that they mean about 1600 onwards for "modern" and this century for "contemporary", perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am running Itunes. I'm 'Eddy'.

The essay is for an international relations module. I think largely they are talking about how strategy evolved post 1945. And I'm doing economics... slightly irrelevent I feel.
    I must say I like your music collection.

And wtf does that have to do with economics?

ReputationRep:
    talk about terrorism and guerilla warfare

ReputationRep:
    I'd certainly start you essay talking about the origins of war. without that your essay would be flawed:

http://www.hoplites.co.uk/html/hoplites.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I must say I like your music collection.

And wtf does that have to do with economics?
    Glad you like it!

Regards what it has to do with economics, the first year doing economics at Manchester consists of a lot of politics and social policy stuff. All part of having a decent understanding of all social sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I know the Renaissance is also called "early modern" so exactly what do THEY mean by "modern". Adding "contemporary" would suggest that they mean about 1600 onwards for "modern" and this century for "contemporary", perhaps?
    I'm thinking, going on the lectures, they are getting more at warfare post 1945. We've been studying the Cold War, and I can't see them wanting me to start much before 1945.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking, going on the lectures, they are getting more at warfare post 1945. We've been studying the Cold War, and I can't see them wanting me to start much before 1945.

Oh good! Imagine trying to write an essay about warfare since 1600... lol.

ReputationRep:
    Oh good! Imagine trying to write an essay about warfare since 1600... lol.
    True, it would be thesis!

ReputationRep:

If I was you i'd hint at how war happened pre 1945 then throughout your essay. People (countries) learn from their mistakes, this is evident since 1945 on many occasions. Id est United nations et al.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    If I was you i'd hint at how war happened pre 1945 then throughout your essay. People (countries) learn from their mistakes, this is evident since 1945 on many occasions. Id est United nations et al.
    Ta man. Will do.

ReputationRep:
    Character (obviously in the figuartive sense):

a. A distinctive mark, evidence, or token; a feature, trait, characteristic.

9 The aggregate of the distinctive features of any thing; essential peculiarity; nature, style; sort, kind, description.

(from OED)

I suppose I'd find something distinctive and follow its development over the period (e.g. soldiering tactics, air force, long-distance weapons). Perhaps I'd talk about the nature of the aggressor and when another country intervenes (*cough* America) and how this has affected subsequent wars (e.g. Vietnam in comparison to Iraq/Afghanistan). Def. start with something broad and narrow down else it'll be a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    Character (obviously in the figuartive sense):

a. A distinctive mark, evidence, or token; a feature, trait, characteristic.

9 The aggregate of the distinctive features of any thing; essential peculiarity; nature, style; sort, kind, description.

(from OED)

I suppose I'd find something distinctive and follow its development over the period (e.g. soldiering tactics, air force, long-distance weapons). Perhaps I'd talk about the nature of the aggressor and when another country intervenes (*cough* America) and how this has affected subsequent wars (e.g. Vietnam in comparison to Iraq/Afghanistan). Def. start with something broad and narrow down else it'll be a nightmare.
    Think my essay will vaguely follow this route. Will start by talking about the human cannon fodder warfare pre, and to a large extent during WW2. Will talk through the effect of the Nuclear Club acquiring nukes. Talk through MAD. ICBM's. ACBM's. Basically the Cold War arms race. The spread of nukes deserves a mention with India, South Africa etc. And will end by touching on the war on terror.

Cheers all for input.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget the impact of war on the civilian population, i.e. the idea of 'total War' and thte existence of a 'Home Front' (WWI, WWII, nuclear scares - what is the 'enemy's aim in this, how do countries try to moblize their population). Don't be too one-sided on strategy - iternational relations thteory and practice nowadays (well, after the 1960/70s really) involves concepts such as 'economic security', 'societal security', and even 'environmental security' (the impact of war on the environment!); also it can be interesting to talk about modern IT and is impact on warfare (esp. terrorism).

ReputationRep:
    You could also look at the UN and how it stops wars. Also Samuel Huntingdon's 'Clash of Civilisations' may also be worth looking at.

In reply to other posts about history, Medieval is regarded to be roughly 800-1347. Early Modern 1450-1700, but strictly c.1500 to c.1700, but if you're french it would be 1789. Modern would be c.1700-1945, and contemporary would be Post WWII.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    and contemporary would be Post WWII.
    or in some cases post 1917/18 (Russian Revolution and end of WWI, depending on which one you think is more significant)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it depends who you are as I said.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.