Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

People not taking responsibility for their actions Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think this has become one of my biggest pet peeves in recent years when people blame everyone else but themselves for their own failings.

- My flatmate failed a module in first term, he went to 1 out of 12 of the seminars barely listened in lectures and started revising a week before the exam and when he gets his mark he *****es about the tutor for a bit

- We've just had a group assignment and presentation which my mate thought was a group mark but it was marked individually, he put no work into the assignment and it showed in the presentation and Q+A we get the mark back and he wants to complain about the way it was marked. The thing that brought his mark down was that he wasn't able to piggy back off my hard work.

- Another person i know (but don't like too much) has had appalling attendance for the last two years (it won't have reached 20 hours in 3 semesters worth of study) he got forced to defer a year or he would get kicked out and instead of sayin "yeah i didn't go and ignored by attendance warnings, my bad" he starts *****ign about the attendance policy and head of department

It really really grinds on me when people constantly try and blame other people.

Who agrees?

ReputationRep:
    yeah I agree. They didn't put in the effort and hard work and expect to have good grades when they don't even deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this so much.

Part of becoming an adult is realising that you can't get through life making excuses for yourself constantly. Sometimes you've just gotta suck it up.

edit: This also applies to people who make up mitigating circumstances after getting their grades back.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree! I find it often goes hand in hand with self pity too. It's a shame it isn't more socially acceptable to give these people a real talking to in hope they'll grow up and start realising that wow, not everything is somebody elses fault, without coming across as a preaching interferer. Maybe some day! Until then, temporary defness is your best friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korkey)
    I completely agree! I find it often goes hand in hand with self pity too. It's a shame it isn't more socially acceptable to give these people a real talking to in hope they'll grow up and start realising that wow, not everything is somebody elses fault, without coming across as a preaching interferer. Maybe some day! Until then, temporary defness is your best friend.
    I did end up having a go at my mate at one point. He complained about the tutor beign rubbish (he was a really good helpful tutor) and then claimed that me and my other mate told him to only look at past exam papers (even though i specifically told him to use both exam questions and semianr questions to get a grasp of the type of question that would be asked).

I basically had a little snap and pointed out how it was his fault but he still blames others for his mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say just look at the mirror the one to blame. People never change. If something rotten, it does that from the roots

ReputationRep:
    Ill be honest I do blame others a lot, but I do get off my ass and put in the work though so I have a right to a certain extent

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.