Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Well its Durham you want to go, so go there.

ReputationRep:
    Both are approved courses by BPS so no worries about the credibility of the courses.

They are very different Universities - and only you can decide which one will suit you best. Brighton Uni is an ex-Polytechnic. The Polys were established to provide world class vocational & technical degrees, which they did very, very well. Therefore somewhere like Brighton has a long and established history in Pharmacy and has great science/tech facilities. Durham is an old traditional University. It revolves around a college system which can seem elitist and 'posh' to some. It has a superb academic reputation - but very much 'academic'. Durham is a northern, architecturally stunning City. Brighton is an arty seaside town. Only *you* can decide which environment will suit you best and where you will feel the most comfortable. Have you bee to Open Days? What were your impressions and feelings? If you didnt, can you go on a visit before you have to make a definite decision?

ReputationRep:
    The North East of England is not that expensive, just fyi. The price of living here in Durham seems comparably cheaper, too. And I live in Kent when I'm not at uni, so... (Yeah... expert :cool:).

Also, Brighton is a fun, cool place, but if you want good prospects and prestige (which I'm sure your parents would want for you too, right?) then Durham has to be your choice. Durham on your CV will look great, and, more importantly, it is academically outstanding in general. Having said that, if Brighton is excellent for Pharmacy, that might change things... (arts student here, for my sins.)

If you have any more general Durham related questions, feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    The Durham Pharmacy course is taught at the Stockton campus, 20-25 miles from Durham itself. Stockton is nothing like Durham - I haven't been there for a long time, but I remember it as pretty grim, much like nearby Middlesbrough! OTOH, it will be cheaper than Durham.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Go to Brighton.

Durham just started up their pharmacy school, so you're better off going with an established school, like Brighton.

ReputationRep:
    In the end it is your choice, don't let your parents pust you (I nearly made that mistake)
    But in terms of price, the accomodation ther're acctually the cheapest for me, by about a grang as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As ageshallnot suggested, pharmacy is taught at the Queen's Campus in Stockton. This means you will have a completely different university experience from others students in Durham, because your accommodation, library and teaching is all done in Stockton; and there are few courses taught at Stockton so there will be a distinct 'type' of student there. Likewise, despite there being a free bus to Durham, it is far more practical to go to Darlington or Middlesborough for shopping etc.. Those up in Durham will inevitably go to Newcastle too.

If you are happy with this then there are lots of positives to studying in Stockton. It will cost less than if you lived in Durham. All the facilities will be newer. There is more to do in Stockton because it is bigger than Durham, which means you should save money you would have otherwise spent travelling to the Metrocentre or Newcastle for a better range of shopping and a night out etc..

Brighton and Stockton are completely different. I think on courses it is actually easier to decide between universities because you are really just picking between what each area offers rather than vastly different curriculum. Depending where you are from in Wales, you might be more suited to one place or the other.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and as far as the parents are concerned, I would like to add a little balance to the discussion. It is all well and good people saying ignore the parents but it is the parents who are likely to bail the OP out if she ever gets into money troubles; they are simply being responsible by trying to keep her costs down as much as possible, even if her dad is wrong in this instance. Likewise, the logistics of actually travelling backwards and forwards between home and university will hit you when you travel home for Christmas etc. and find yourself spending an entire day on a coach or train.

ReputationRep:
    My dad said then was looking at house prices and they a lot cheaper than Durham and he was even thinking about buying house because it would be cheaper than living in their accomdiation for 3 years

ReputationRep:
    Brighton.... woop woooooooop!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iram.a37)
    I 've received conditional offers for MPharmacy, from both Durham and Brighton. Obviously Durham Uni is quite prestigious, and I had my heart set on studying there. But my parents have created a hugggeeee fuss over Durham, saying that it's too far (I'm from Wales). Secondly, my father seems to think that accommodation prices will be higher there. WTF??:mad::confused:

I’m quite disappointed that they’re not letting me decide, it’s me going to uni not them. Anyway...what would you do? Now I’m torn between the two universities, please help:dontknow:

Any help would be appreciated.

Other people in the thread have written really informative things about Stockton, and it's important to remember the school is new.

Cost for living in college accommodation for Stephenson is about £4,600 for the year - which includes partial catering, internet and utilities and 24 hour security. I imagine for the other college on Queen's Campus it's the same.

After the first year in college 2nd years and above generally live out. Renting a house in the Teesside area costs between £40-90 a week. And the quality of house you find for the price is generally better than most places.

Stockton's not as metropolitan as Brighton, but it's probably cheaper . Hope that helped you somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    Durham all the way....has better propsepects in my view!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweedy)
    The North East of England is not that expensive, just fyi. The price of living here in Durham seems comparably cheaper, too. And I live in Kent when I'm not at uni, so... (Yeah... expert :cool:).

Also, Brighton is a fun, cool place, but if you want good prospects and prestige (which I'm sure your parents would want for you too, right?) then Durham has to be your choice. Durham on your CV will look great, and, more importantly, it is academically outstanding in general. Having said that, if Brighton is excellent for Pharmacy, that might change things... (arts student here, for my sins.)

If you have any more general Durham related questions, feel free to PM me.

Brighton is really good for pharmacy
    It's a better place to live too although it will be more expensive than Durham.

ReputationRep:
    My situation was the same (offer through wanted clearing) choose brighton in the end. Let's hope it pays off

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.