Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why doesn't everyone just print more money? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    You guys don't understand what I'm saying. We need money, we print money and keep all money at the same value...thus we have more money that we can use to get us out of this recession!
    And how do you plan on keeping the value of money the same?

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying if the government printed enough money to hand everyone a million pounds, companies would increase prices of things to take the money? I guess that would be a problem, but I'm sure a law on price increases would sort that out.
    I'm guessing you're trolling, but anyway... if that happened, no businesses would be able to keep going. If everyone has a million quid, what's the point in selling people milk for 80p? There's just no incentive. And people who have a million quid in the bank with prices still as low as they are now have no incentive to work at our current pay levels, either. So then it costs £50,000 a year to hire someone to work on the checkout to sell those 80p bottles of milk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibeatu)
    We should just scrap money altogether. It's a disgusting invention, it leaves some people homeless and others (who may or may not deserve it) living in mansions.
    I personally think we should all be given equal everything, it'd work if there wasn't so many money-driven airheads in the world.
    Sadly, now its there and people feel like they need it, trying to get rid of money completely would cause huge uproar.
    And who would make everything to give to everyone? No one, because you need money as a basic incentive to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Imagine you went into a shop with a five pound note. There's a bottle of wine priced at £6. So you take out your pen and draw a zero after the 5 on your note, so that it now says "£50". Let's say this is perfectly legit. Essentially printed more money.

So what does the shopkeeper do? He takes out his pen and draws a zero after the 6 on price tag on the bottle.

And so on, until one of you gets bored of drawing zeroes and you're basically living in Zimbabwe.
    Perfectly said; genuinely lol'd as well .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHairyArmenian)
    And how do you plan on keeping the value of money the same?
    What? We just leave the 20 on a twenty pound note, 10 on a ten and so on.....

ReputationRep:
    Didn't we more or less do this in 2009/10?

edit: 11/12/13... I need to watch the news more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibeatu)
    We should just scrap money altogether. It's a disgusting invention, it leaves some people homeless and others (who may or may not deserve it) living in mansions.
    I personally think we should all be given equal everything, it'd work if there wasn't so many money-driven airheads in the world.
    Sadly, now its there and people feel like they need it, trying to get rid of money completely would cause huge uproar.
    You're as stupid as OP.

ReputationRep:
    Well we could have an international collaboration, so everyone is permitted to print as much money as they want, then everyone in the world would be wealthier and all debts would be paid.
    So then how money would be worthless... :| the world revolves around the idea that the notes and coins we trade for goods and services actually has worth. If there's an endless supply of money then it's worthless.

ReputationRep:
    The guy is trolling and you all are falling for it.

ReputationRep:
    Why can no one on this forum see when someone is clearly trolling? I guess I've spent too much time on 4chan.

ReputationRep:
    Because Inkjet ink is a rip off!

ReputationRep:
    Well we could have an international collaboration, so everyone is permitted to print as much money as they want, then everyone in the world would be wealthier and all debts would be paid.
    You must think you've had some sort of revolutionary epiphany, don't you? Don't you think if it was that easy we'd have done it by now?
    If money could simply be printed willy-nilly then it would have no value or meaning. Businesses sort of tend to want something of worth in return for their goods. And no, you can't try to just get everyone in the world to pretend that it does have value.

ReputationRep:
    What? We just leave the 20 on a twenty pound note, 10 on a ten and so on.....
    Are you trolling?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I'm guessing you're trolling, but anyway... if that happened, no businesses would be able to keep going. If everyone has a million quid, what's the point in selling people milk for 80p? There's just no incentive. And people who have a million quid in the bank with prices still as low as they are now have no incentive to work at our current pay levels, either. So then it costs £50,000 a year to hire someone to work on the checkout to sell those 80p bottles of milk.
    Ooh I like thinking about it that way; my economy-phobic brain can actually understand that rather than just a bunch of terms Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Stop being a turd - read an intro. to macroeconomics textbook.

ReputationRep:
    I used to think this. Ultimately the human race invented money, so why not just print more and say it has the same value because it's us who makes the rules?

Society just wouldn't function. It would de-value money.

Someone said we shouldn't have money. I mean, without money, who would choose to do certain jobs? I can't imagine anyone would choose a job such as dish washing without getting paid for it. Even in tribes where money doesn't exist there's still some sort of system which means some people are better of than others. That's just the way people are, I'm afraid. I'm not saying it's right, but that's how it is.

I completely understand where you're coming from though and it's a nice thought, just not something that could ever happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitrogen)
    You lack common sense.
    No need to hate on him, not everyone knows about economics you know

ReputationRep:
    I sort of understand how printing more money would devalue it now...But we would still have more of it! Say there were only 5 diamonds in the world...then suddenly someone finds 5, so now there are twice as many diamonds, so the value of each diamond has halved right? But at the end of the day we now have 10 diamonds! In the same way, we could print money, sure it would be a little devalued, but we would have more and could pay off all our debt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wild Youth)
    Ooh I like thinking about it that way; my economy-phobic brain can actually understand that rather than just a bunch of terms Thank you
    Hah, no worries! There are loads more ways of following the consequences of giving everyone a million pounds but they're the first ones that came to mind. Freakonomics is a really interesting read if you want an intro to economics that keeps you entertained.

ReputationRep:
    Hyper inflation. If we just printed more money it would become worthless.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.