Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So I've just finished classes of the second semester of the 1st year of my Psychology BSc undergraduate degree. I'm taking Science Fundamentals as a third subject (Biology as my 2nd) and, due to a confusion in days which was of course entirely my fault, I missed the second of two class tests (worth 10% each) that we are supposed to sit each semester. According to the course handbook this means that I will be refused credit for SciFun 1Y . I emailed the head of the course two days ago and told him honestly what happened but he hasn't replied yet. One of my friends who takes the course too missed one of the class tests last semester and was allowed to resit it, but she lied saying that her grandmother had died. An extra complication is that it's now the easter holidays, so the teaching period for the year is over, and there's just exams when we come back. I've completed every other test/workshop quiz all of this and the last semester.
    I was just wondering what people thought my chances of being allowed to resit the test were, and if I'm not allowed to resit it and am refused credit what will this mean for 2nd year? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katy016)
    So I've just finished classes of the second semester of the 1st year of my Psychology BSc undergraduate degree. I'm taking Science Fundamentals as a third subject (Biology as my 2nd) and, due to a confusion in days which was of course entirely my fault, I missed the second of two class tests (worth 10% each) that we are supposed to sit each semester. According to the course handbook this means that I will be refused credit for SciFun 1Y . I emailed the head of the course two days ago and told him honestly what happened but he hasn't replied yet. One of my friends who takes the course too missed one of the class tests last semester and was allowed to resit it, but she lied saying that her grandmother had died. An extra complication is that it's now the easter holidays, so the teaching period for the year is over, and there's just exams when we come back. I've completed every other test/workshop quiz all of this and the last semester.
    I was just wondering what people thought my chances of being allowed to resit the test were, and if I'm not allowed to resit it and am refused credit what will this mean for 2nd year? :confused:
    You'll only be refused credit if you haven't done 30%(I think) of the coursework - so just for missing one 10% test you should be fine as you've done all the other tests etc.
    It's good that you've emailed anyway, they are pretty nice so they will try and see what they can do, you might be able to resit, but on the other hand there might be nothing they can do as it's the holidays now.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much!
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you'll be able to resit it because it was your fault you missed it - by that I mean you weren't severely unwell or experiencing serious personal problems. If it's not part of the December or May exam period, which it isn't, I don't think it would be included in the resit timetable for August, so it would be at your department's discretion whether or not they allow you to resit. If you did get to resit it, your grade would be capped at a D3 - presuming the standard resit rules apply for class tests.

Some subjects have different rules regarding what is compulsory and must be completed in order to receive credit for the course. As said above, generally, if you've completed all the other coursework, you won't be refused credit. You'll just end up with a dent in your overall grade because you missed 20% worth of the assessment. The best thing to do is what you've already done - email and ask.

Also, your friend should be ashamed of herself.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.