Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

photography AS- how difficult is it to get an A? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently doing my exam unit and have fallen quite behind! Any tips and ideas about what I should do to secure an A? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    "Take a dirty picture for me, take a dirty picture" Jokes (well, unless you want to of course).... erm, it isn;t too difficult as long as you do everything that is required and work hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gman10)
    "Take a dirty picture for me, take a dirty picture" Jokes (well, unless you want to of course).... erm, it isn;t too difficult as long as you do everything that is required and work hard
    Mmmm thank you i guess. Lol xD

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm currently getting an A in AS photography, my exam board is with Edexcel, so if you're the same you should make sure you do these things for your exam/coursework.

The key thing the examiner will look for in your project, is a starting point, which then gets understood and developed. So basically the beginning of your project will start with an rough idea, which you then will need to do a lot of research in, and refine your idea into a specific topic. For example for my AS art coursework, the theme was 'inside/outside'. So i started looking at emotions. I then refined this by looking at peoples reactions, lifestyles, personalities due to their emotions. I then refined this even further for my final idea to be the connection between colour and emotion. So I started off with a vague idea, which I explored and came up with a final idea which strongly connected to the theme, so you'll to do the same with your photography work.

In my photography projects I made sure that I included.

A range of afew different ideas to start with (though each idea should slightly relate to one another)
    Focused onto one idea
    Then research a WIDE RANGE of different photographers/artists/craftsmen/designers which relate to those ideas.
    Make sure you don't just do research off the internet, go to galleries, exhibitions, look at documentaries, magazine articles ect for your research.
    When doing a artist study make sure you clearly record why their in your work, are they there because you like their style? Does it relate to your theme/ideas? make sure you also critique their work, whats good, but also whats bad.
    Make sure you compare artists against eachother, write about their strong similarities/differences and explain why and how their similar/different.
    Do some work in the style of your main photographers/artists/craftsmen/designers (your main photographers should strongly connect to your theme/idea). Set up and organise a photoshoot at a stately home, or a zoo, use a variety of different models (ofcourse only do this if it relates to your idea).
    Experiment, take risks, try doing some film photography, heavily edit them on Photoshop/GIMP, scratch, burn or bite your film, print out your photographs and pour paint on them to create a more abstract piece, cut the focal point of your photograph out and and move it, there is loads of experimentation you can do, and the more the better.
    The examiner will be very impressed if they see you not only editing your photographs digitally, but also traditionally.
    When doing your final pieces make sure. you have a very strong idea which relates to your theme, But also shows development from your earlier work.
    The examiner will also want to see you have sensitivity in your work, if you're taking a photoshoot in a field, perhaps try a new field, or in a different weather condition.
    What alot of people do wrong is that if they do something they don't like, they don't add it in. No add it in, but explain why it went bad, and then perhaps re-do it with the improvements. this will also show a greater sense of sensitivity to your own work.
    when writing about your work, even at the beginning of your project make sure you write as much as you can think, you get 50% of your marks purely from your writing skills so make sure their up to scratch!
    when writing about, for example a photoshoot, write why you took the photoshoot, where it was taken and explain why you went there, how does it relate to the theme/your idea? how does the formal elements of your photographs reinforce the idea? talk about the use of colour, line, texture, subject matter, lighting, pattern ect.
    You sketchbook is basically a visual diary, the examiner can't imagine what you're thinking so you must make sure you make it clear what you're doing.
    It is also very important your write down how your topic of the theme, relates to the theme. Everytime I do a artist study/photoshoot, I add in a section in my annotation called 'How this work relates the theme'.
    If you're with Edexcel, and going to do A2 photography, basically the grade boundaries move up a level. For example if you done some work at AS which got you a B grade, if that was in your A2 projects, it would be the equivalent of a C so if you're looking for a A overall, make sure you get a high A in AS.
    And goodluck!!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.