The Student Room Group

Can you go to uni without gcses?

Could you go without both maths and English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt you'd find a course that didn't require English, as essay writing is important on most courses. The only types of courses I'd imagine wouldn't require maths would be those in which you weren't required to undertake research involving statistics, or possibly things that were audition based, for example performing arts or design.

But the majority of courses state that maths and english are required just as standard, so it would make sense to try to get them if you can.
Reply 2
It is possible, yes, but having those GCSEs (and A-Levels) will help you out immensely. If you're really intent on going to uni and know exactly what you want to do (and why!) then by all means apply, but do be prepared to get lots of rejections.

I have no GCSEs or A-Levels and emailed various universities I was interested in to ask if it was worth me applying. Most replied saying they wouldn't consider me, but not all. I applied anyway, even to the ones that had said no. My UCAS was filled with the word "Unsuccessful" after a few weeks. One invited me to interview and gave me an offer after asking me to write an essay for them to show I'm capable of the work. Funnily enough it was the university I most wanted to go to (UCL).

Just make sure you have a spankingly good personal statement. If you have extenuating reasons for not having GCSEs, mention them so they have an idea of it, but don't labour the point. If you know exactly what you want to do then tailor your personal statement to demonstrate your ability in whatever subject you're applying for. Think of it as a sort of mini-essay that you want to write in a way that says, "Disregard my lack of qualifications - I am awesome at this subject nonetheless!".

The best piece of advice I got from someone who works at a university was along the lines of: if someone tells you're too late to apply, or you won't get in, ignore them and do it anyway.

Just be prepared for rejections and have a back-up plan! Anything else is a bonus. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Anglii
It is possible...

Congratulations, but you're going as a mature student, right? I can't think the possibility exists if the OP is under 21.
Reply 4
Original post by cambio wechsel
Congratulations, but you're going as a mature student, right? I can't think the possibility exists if the OP is under 21.

I am a mature student, yes. Have to admit I'm not sure if it's possible for an under 21 either! If he is under 21 then I'd suggest just going for the GCSEs and A-Levels as they'll stand him in good stead regardless of getting into uni or not.
Reply 5
I got in without A Levels however Im a mature student and already had GCSEs (had C in english and D in maths, although had adult numeracy level 2). I did an essay and had an interview to get in. Most people doing my degree did access and pre access (roughly same as A Levels and GCSE) before they started. I think maths and english are already built into the pre access, maybe its something you could look into if youre 19 plus? If youre younger I suggest you apply for GCSE and A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies , well I applied for 5 unis I only got rejected by two so I made my firms but I think it was because I wrote a good personal statement . I doubt I will pass my maths exam in the summer but fingers Crossed. Also I'm aplying to do IT so i don't know if that's going to be a deal breaker for not holding the gcses or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
And I'm 19 turning 20 in December

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most universities specify that you need GCSE English & Maths for most courses. They will look more kindly on you if you didn't get them for very good reasons (e.g. you were living abroad in a country that didn't do qualifications at 16) but if you simply failed them then it's unlikely that they will be impressed.
Reply 9
Try a foundation or access course.
Reply 10
Original post by Anglii
It is possible, yes, but having those GCSEs (and A-Levels) will help you out immensely. If you're really intent on going to uni and know exactly what you want to do (and why!) then by all means apply, but do be prepared to get lots of rejections.

I have no GCSEs or A-Levels and emailed various universities I was interested in to ask if it was worth me applying. Most replied saying they wouldn't consider me, but not all. I applied anyway, even to the ones that had said no. My UCAS was filled with the word "Unsuccessful" after a few weeks. One invited me to interview and gave me an offer after asking me to write an essay for them to show I'm capable of the work. Funnily enough it was the university I most wanted to go to (UCL).

Just make sure you have a spankingly good personal statement. If you have extenuating reasons for not having GCSEs, mention them so they have an idea of it, but don't labour the point. If you know exactly what you want to do then tailor your personal statement to demonstrate your ability in whatever subject you're applying for. Think of it as a sort of mini-essay that you want to write in a way that says, "Disregard my lack of qualifications - I am awesome at this subject nonetheless!".

The best piece of advice I got from someone who works at a university was along the lines of: if someone tells you're too late to apply, or you won't get in, ignore them and do it anyway.

Just be prepared for rejections and have a back-up plan! Anything else is a bonus. Good luck :smile:

This is quite inspirational. To the op, if this guy couldn't get FUDGE and still got into uni, then you have a chance as well.
I want to go to uni but i have F in English and F in Maths but when i got in to college to do level 2 engineering i got a D in engineering, then i got to do btec level 3 engineering first year and i got two D*D* and now i am doing the second year of btec level 3 engineering but at the end of the year i want to go to uni, but i am worried that i wont get in.

someone please tell me if there is a way that i can get in to uni to do mechanical engineering.
Reply 12
Original post by 08emathews
I want to go to uni but i have F in English and F in Maths but when i got in to college to do level 2 engineering i got a D in engineering, then i got to do btec level 3 engineering first year and i got two D*D* and now i am doing the second year of btec level 3 engineering but at the end of the year i want to go to uni, but i am worried that i wont get in.

someone please tell me if there is a way that i can get in to uni to do mechanical engineering.

You're posting on a thread which is three and a half years old and GCSE requirements have changed since it was last updated. You must now have Maths and English GCSEs at grade C or above, for the majority of degree courses. Some will also specify additional ones e.g. Science. You will at leadt need to retake those GCSEs in order to improve your grades.

Your other grades seem quite low to be useful for uni. Your best bet is to email a couple of uni Admissions Offices to ask.
Original post by 08emathews

Original post by Klix88
You must now have Maths and English GCSEs at grade C or above, for the majority of degree courses. Some will also specify additional ones e.g. Science. You will at leadt need to retake those GCSEs in order to improve your grades.

For what it's worth, I know of a couple non-UK citizens who had only done their A-Levels and still got into the desired university - although I believe they had to sit IELTS exams or the equivalent for their English.
yes in that for some courses at some HEIs , level 2 awards in literacy and numeracy and relevent level 3 awards other than A levles may be allowed for entry ...

but unless you area proper mature student entry withjout any qualifications is extrememly
unlikely
What uni tho
Reply 16
Hi am a 32 year old woman with no GCSE i studied H-S care level 2/3 but wish to study business in uni, will i need GCSE to get on the course?

Quick Reply

Latest