Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Does anyone else just get so overwhelmed by... Life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The fact that we even exist at all completely amazes me, from the universe and planets to the hands I'm using to write this. I don't know, I love it. I really don't know how to explain it. I feel like I'm an atheist but sometimes I just look at the universe and think heck, this was not just by chance. Look at the way human bodies work! Things like reproduction, it's so amazing and intricate the way it works, it just doesn't seem accidental you know? I dunno. It all makes me very happy and confused at the same time. I think I just think life is amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You sound like Brian Cox!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clementine_)
    The fact that we even exist at all completely amazes me, from the universe and planets to the hands I'm using to write this. I don't know, I love it. I really don't know how to explain it. I feel like I'm an atheist but sometimes I just look at the universe and think heck, this was not just by chance. Look at the way human bodies work! Things like reproduction, it's so amazing and intricate the way it works, it just doesn't seem accidental you know? I dunno. It all makes me very happy and confused at the same time. I think I just think life is amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know what you mean! I personally get mixed emotions when thinking about the size of the universe. There are theories that suggest the universe is infinite, and although I'm amazed by this and want to learn more, it also kind of depresses me, because it means that we're even more pathetically insignificant than I first thought. So yeah, I know how you feel, but you should appreciate how amazing everything is and how lucky you are to be here. But that can be hard sometimes. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yay! it's not just me that looks at life in complete amazement. Ever since I was little I have had this unbelievable sense of awe at the world and how things work. I even remember, at 5 years old, thinking to myself " I am me...like so many other people...yet completely different."

I think it's quite a good thing you have that outlook on things. I guess it prevents you from taking everything at face value and puts things in perspective. but like sheldonwannabe said it can also be rather depressing lol
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    The fact that we even exist at all completely amazes me, from the universe and planets to the hands I'm using to write this. I don't know, I love it. I really don't know how to explain it.
    Yeah, absolutely! The fact that there's something rather than nothing just completely boggles my mind.

I feel like I'm an atheist but sometimes I just look at the universe and think heck, this was not just by chance. Look at the way human bodies work! Things like reproduction, it's so amazing and intricate the way it works, it just doesn't seem accidental you know? I dunno. It all makes me very happy and confused at the same time. I think I just think life is amazing.
    The things you mention didn't really occur by chance, they were produced through the process of evolution by natural selection. Chance genetic mutations occurred at each generation, but the ones that were able to survive down the lineage weren't by chance because these mutations affected creatures' ability to survive and reproduce - only the ones that were helpful (to the genes responsible for the change) made the cut, the rest would be in a constant process of being weeded out.

But of course that doesn't make it any less amazing.

ReputationRep:
    To quote American Beauty

"but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life"

The world is a truly amazing place, and it's so easy to get overwhelmed by it. Everything from the dawn, to the mechanisms that make the dawn, how we see it, and even why we find it so beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    No, life is a dismal wreck. Born, live, die. Simple process which always ends in the same pathetic ending.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    No, life is a dismal wreck. Born, live, die. Simple process which always ends in the same pathetic ending.
    But is not the value in the journey and not the destination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    I agree, so we gotta make the most of it. Life is too short for regrets. Do what you wanna do!

-stripeytofu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    But is not the value in the journey and not the destination?
    Looks like we have a Captain Jack Sparrow over here:

• Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Looks like we have a Captain Jack Sparrow over here:

Seems he's more of a philosopher than I realised.

ReputationRep:
    Very much so.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.