Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Offers for Law from Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham + Exeter (Nottingham was nice, but asks for A*AA so won't be putting that down!). Also yet to hear from Durham.

I know the two uni's are completely different, but that's whats making the decision hard! I prefer a campus university, but then again the social-scene attached with Bristol does appeal to me too I'm a little scared Warwick's social life is bad (but somehow the campus just felt more right than Bristol's city). Also any idea which university has the better teaching/attention to students? And which'd be better for employability and so on? At my school, people seem to be more impressed with my Bristol offer which I'm a little surprised at.

I am seriously having the hardest time deciding.

ReputationRep:
    personally out of those 2 i'd go for bristol, i really regret not having the confidence to apply there!

ReputationRep:
    Bristol.

I'd be there if the *******s hadn't rejected me.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd say Warwick is a lot better for law, academic-wise and employability wise. If you need concrete stats google "highfliers 2013" and see the first PDF.

The Warwick campus life is really good and I know a lot of people who studied there and are in highly paid jobs. There are a lot of societies and facilities which easily trump Bristol.
    The only problem is that it is in the middle of nowhere, and accommodation will be hard to find in the second year.

Bristol isn't bad either, it's in a really good city, which has its own perks.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohan95)
    Personally I'd say Warwick is a lot better for law, academic-wise and employability wise. If you need concrete stats google "highfliers 2013" and see the first PDF.

Good luck
    I will offer you three other stats

This is the best information about where trainee solicitors studied (but read the caveats)

http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net...university.pdf

It clearly favours Bristol

This is about the quality of research

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...008-law-degree

It also favours Bristol but neither score is brilliant.

Just look at the student satisfaction scores in the guardian league table.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law

That clearly favours Warwick and Bristol has had issues about student satisfaction for years.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys so far, still very split :c
    Anyone have any more comparisons between the two and info regarding student life?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You said that you felt more 'right' at Warwick's campus- so go to warwick! You shouldn't rely on league tables or statistics. You should go to the place that you can feel yourself making friends and feeling at home, and if that's warwick, then go there! I wouldn't worry about social life either, unless you want a London-style feel, then go to Bristol

ReputationRep:
    I can give you a general comparison about the two, since my sister studied History at Warwick and Bristol is quite a popular choice for my schoolmates.

If you're after a university which will provide you with the opportunity to immerse yourself within a mixture of students from across the globe then I would pick Warwick. The university is very diverse, probably the most diverse 'top university'' after LSE and Imperial. Bristol is like many universities in the UK an extended version of boarding school in regards to the general make-up of the student body. For me, I would love to go to a university which attract students from across the world rather than one which generally gets applicants from a very narrow pool within society. When I visited Bristol, I just didn't feel like it would be to my liking.

Bristol definitely has the more vibrant social scene, and has the fancy law building, but Warwick's social scene is not as bad as some suggest. If you're doing a law degree, then I doubt you'd have the time/inclination to try and go to five clubs per week, plenty of people at Warwick are able to have 2/3 good nights out, which seems good to me. Most people's biggest concern with Warwick is that it's in Coventry..does that bother you?

Both are good for employment, Bristol is more established but I would say that Warwick is currently edging it. For Law, Bristol is probably slightly more 'respected'

I think your choice should boil down to the following, j

Campus/City
    Course (Warwick's course is slightly unconventional)
    Social Scene

Both give out a good amount of 2:1s so that shouldn't be a worry. Go with your gut instinct, they say that if you toss a coin in the air, with heads Warwick and tails Bristol, you'll realise that you do in fact have a preference to one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoseSmallWinBig)
    I can give you a general comparison about the two, since my sister studied History at Warwick and Bristol is quite a popular choice for my schoolmates.

If you're after a university which will provide you with the opportunity to immerse yourself within a mixture of students from across the globe then I would pick Warwick. The university is very diverse, probably the most diverse 'top university'' after LSE and Imperial. Bristol is like many universities in the UK an extended version of boarding school in regards to the general make-up of the student body. For me, I would love to go to a university which attract students from across the world rather than one which generally gets applicants from a very narrow pool within society. When I visited Bristol, I just didn't feel like it would be to my liking.

Bristol definitely has the more vibrant social scene, and has the fancy law building, but Warwick's social scene is not as bad as some suggest. If you're doing a law degree, then I doubt you'd have the time/inclination to try and go to five clubs per week, plenty of people at Warwick are able to have 2/3 good nights out, which seems good to me. Most people's biggest concern with Warwick is that it's in Coventry..does that bother you?

Both are good for employment, Bristol is more established but I would say that Warwick is currently edging it. For Law, Bristol is probably slightly more 'respected'

I think your choice should boil down to the following, j

Campus/City
    Course (Warwick's course is slightly unconventional)
    Social Scene

Both give out a good amount of 2:1s so that shouldn't be a worry. Go with your gut instinct, they say that if you toss a coin in the air, with heads Warwick and tails Bristol, you'll realise that you do in fact have a preference to one!
    Thanks, this really did help a lot! I'll have to do some more reading on the course, I've heard it puts law in context whilst others are 'black letter'.
    I'll probably try out that coinflip actually haha!

Has your sister enjoyed studying at Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sara :D)
    Thanks, this really did help a lot! I'll have to do some more reading on the course, I've heard it puts law in context whilst others are 'black letter'.
    I'll probably try out that coinflip actually haha!

Has your sister enjoyed studying at Warwick?
    Glad to help Yeah that sounds like a plan! I've heard it works in theory, not sure it it works in practise

She does seem to enjoy it. She's in final year. I've gathered from her that most students live in Leamington Spa so no real need to venture into Coventry if you're bothered about that. Living in Leamington is probably at least half an hour from campus, so if you don't drive that can be a bit of hassle. But, I imagine it'd be similar at Bristol.

There aren't loads of clubs, but a good amount of venues/bars/clubs and enough to have 3 or 4 good nights out a week. There are some clubs in Coventry, and then quite often -people will head to Birmingham for nights out! Also lots of academic/non-academic stuff going on campus.

She said a big thing about Warwick was the fact that it has a real community feel, since it's pretty much a student village which is pretty cool or ghastly, depending on which way you look at it.... it has its own Arts centre ( only university in Europe to have one) and its own student cinema so there is lots to do on campus.. Loads of societies.

All halls are self-catered, not sure if that is a factor for you?

She had an offer from Bristol along with other places.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Why did I get negged for this?,,

ReputationRep:
    it has its own Arts centre ( only university in Europe to have one) and its own student cinema
    Don't think you are right about that. What about the MacRobert at Stirling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Don't think you are right about that. What about the MacRobert at Stirling?
    You're right, apologies.

ReputationRep:
    Glad to help Yeah that sounds like a plan! I've heard it works in theory, not sure it it works in practise

She does seem to enjoy it. She's in final year. I've gathered from her that most students live in Leamington Spa so no real need to venture into Coventry if you're bothered about that. Living in Leamington is probably at least half an hour from campus, so if you don't drive that can be a bit of hassle. But, I imagine it'd be similar at Bristol.

There aren't loads of clubs, but a good amount of venues/bars/clubs and enough to have 3 or 4 good nights out a week. There are some clubs in Coventry, and then quite often -people will head to Birmingham for nights out! Also lots of academic/non-academic stuff going on campus.

She said a big thing about Warwick was the fact that it has a real community feel, since it's pretty much a student village which is pretty cool or ghastly, depending on which way you look at it.... it has its own Arts centre ( only university in Europe to have one) and its own student cinema so there is lots to do on campus.. Loads of societies.

All halls are self-catered, not sure if that is a factor for you?

She had an offer from Bristol along with other places.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Why did I get negged for this?,,
    Unfortunately I can't +rep you any more, what an idiot who negged you!
    I might visit Warwick again just to get a feel of place again (and visit the surrounding area, haven't heard the greatest things about coventry/leamington spa!)
    Thank you again!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.