Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Star Trek: Into Darkness Watch

ReputationRep:
    It is all about Kirk...in the trailer the baddy says he is better than Kirk in every way...he really isn't..Kirk is better than him in every way. Hence why he defeated the Kobayashi test while eating an apple in a hugely cocky manner....when he appears on the brig defying all of Spocks Vulcan logic his general cockyness is great then. Kirk made the film with his cockyness.

He will make this film with his vengefulness! All the other characters have their little quirks but Kirk is the ONE! Picard only shown a glimpse of it when he screams 'NOOOOO' in first contact and smashes his little enterprise cabinet..pure passion....Sisko shown it a bit when he left his baseball....Janeway in 'year of hell'...Kirk is consistently passionate and more emotional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    It is all about Kirk...in the trailer the baddy says he is better than Kirk in every way...he really isn't..Kirk is better than him in every way. Hence why he defeated the Kobayashi test while eating an apple in a hugely cocky manner....when he appears on the brig defying all of Spocks Vulcan logic his general cockyness is great then. Kirk made the film with his cockyness.

He will make this film with his vengefulness! All the other characters have their little quirks but Kirk is the ONE! Picard only shown a glimpse of it when he screams 'NOOOOO' in first contact and smashes his little enterprise cabinet..pure passion....Sisko shown it a bit when he left his baseball....Janeway in 'year of hell'...Kirk is consistently passionate and more emotional.
    Yes... But Benedict Cumberbatch is gorgeous.

His voice has made that trailer and I really hope that they pull his character off properly... What did they say his name is? James Morrison, or something? I think we secretly know who he really is, even though it's not been officially released. And I couldn't be more thrilled that they got Benedict Cumberbatch to play him!!

Who was the best villain in Star Trek? I love the Borg, but for their clinical approach, and single consciousness, but I also LOVE Species 8472!! Q of course is brilliant. But I don't think there's ever been a solitary villain as good as "James Morrison" lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in for this! Hope there is some serious sci fi in the movie also, but it doesn't half look good.

New TV show required, though. And if they reboot TNG I will not be happy.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man, just done the pre-booking search for the film. I can't find it in 2D anywhere within reasonable distance, I'm doomed to 3D and the migraines it brings .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it looks very good from the trailers I have seen, seems a bit strange and don't really get what is going on in the film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuki)
    Yes... But Benedict Cumberbatch is gorgeous.

His voice has made that trailer and I really hope that they pull his character off properly... What did they say his name is? James Morrison, or something? I think we secretly know who he really is, even though it's not been officially released. And I couldn't be more thrilled that they got Benedict Cumberbatch to play him!!

Who was the best villain in Star Trek? I love the Borg, but for their clinical approach, and single consciousness, but I also LOVE Species 8472!! Q of course is brilliant. But I don't think there's ever been a solitary villain as good as "James Morrison" lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's John Harrison, but not that it's really going to matter of course! Notice how no-one says his name in any of the trailers...
    The casting is perfect, but my only fear is that from what we've seen so far it's going to be very similar to Avengers, Skyfall and The Dark Knight with the villain being captured on purpose. It'll not bother me much, but it might lack the surprise when he manages to break out thanks to his brilliantly complicated plan!

ReputationRep:
    8 Days to go!! getting extremely excited now.

Live long and prosper all.

ReputationRep:
    So excited!!! Trying to get my dad to go with me to the cinema is like trying to get a cat into a carry box, but I'm getting there...

I saw some promotion pics from the white carpet (haha) and now I'm hyped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell him if he goes with you you'll buy him tea or something haha. I shall be watching it at 00:05 on the Thursday morning technically but means 1 more sleep haha been waiting 4 years for this film and its finally here.

ReputationRep:
    Tickets booked for Friday afternoon :awesome:

Can't wait.

ReputationRep:
    Just found out the local old time Cinema is actually going to be showing this film. 2D YAY .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livingstone)
    I'd say they've done exactly that. Don't get me wrong, these new films are really good sci fi action movies, but they're really far removed from traditional star trek and what that was about.
    Agreed.

I do not enjoy mindless summer action blockbusters so despite being a star trek fan I think I will skip this movie. Just watched the trailer posted in this thread and yeah completely killed any interest.

ReputationRep:
    Saw it last night I enjoyed it a few niggles but still a good film wouldn't mind seeing it in 2D now too

ReputationRep:
    Just seen it. 9/10

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thought it was fantastic through and through - and the opening scene of the Enterprise under water... omfg , and when Khan revealed himself I was like "YESSS!". They could have extended the battle with the Admiral's pseudo-Schmitar (by that I mean the power of it) - it was over far too quickly.. a few hits and bam, Enterprise was knocked out of warp and crippled... WHERE ARE THE SHIELDS!! if they don't protect the ship what's the bloody point, and I think some shield effects would be extremely cool with this level of sfx That aside however, I was throughly impressed and glad Scotty had more of a starring role. Looks like they've left it open for a series too, going by the ending

ReputationRep:
    Might be seeing this today or this weekend...! Can't decide whether or not to see it in 2D or 3D. I've seen the trailers for STID in 3D and it gave me goosebumps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flibble22)
    Just seen it. 9/10

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thought it was fantastic through and through - and the opening scene of the Enterprise under water... omfg , and when Khan revealed himself I was like "YESSS!". They could have extended the battle with the Admiral's pseudo-Schmitar (by that I mean the power of it) - it was over far too quickly.. a few hits and bam, Enterprise was knocked out of warp and crippled... WHERE ARE THE SHIELDS!! if they don't protect the ship what's the bloody point, and I think some shield effects would be extremely cool with this level of sfx That aside however, I was throughly impressed and glad Scotty had more of a starring role. Looks like they've left it open for a series too, going by the ending
    I agree with your points there all epic i have to say the 3D was well done in my opinion too.

WARNING SPOILERS!

Spoiler:
    Show
    I loved the Enterprise rising out of the ocean it was epic and gave me goosebumps and the planet natives are just staring at it with awe. The klingon was cool too loved the look of the bald one. One niggle i did have was they were near Kronos then the Enterprise goes to warp to run from the Admiral's ship but then a few minutes lates they we'e all of a sudden in Earth orbit. I know in the interest in storytelling they probably had to make it quick but my Treknology part of me wish they would make the Warp disdances longer again haha. Benedict as Khan was amazing in my opinion he plays it so so well and perhaps he might return for the 3rd seeing as he didnt die . Loved the classic Trek music at the end as they go for th 5 year mission.

I even liked the homage to Enterprise with the model of the NX-01 on Admiral Marcus' desk. I enjoyed the ending of the film too the Enterprise falling to earth was a tense moment that had me on edge of my seat.

ReputationRep:
    Saw it,love it.

Better than the first, Cumberbatch's voice is a thing of beauty and Simon Pegg is much better value than last time.

ReputationRep:
    YESSSSSS

Spoiler:
    Show
    I FRAKKIN' KNEW IT!

I'm delighted it was really him. Seriously. One great cinema moment when he was revealed (although I called it about 10 minutes in!)

Thought they might have stuck at it and killed Kirk though.

ReputationRep:
    Saw this earlier today, so much awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Saw it last night. Really enjoyed it, but couldn't help but feel it kind of mirrored the 2009 effort too closely. Cumberbatch was amazing but the threat never really seemed real. Abrams didn't milk it enough and played it too safe.

And those homages were painfully shoe-horned in. Bones seemed to just be around literally just to reference DeForest Kelley at every chance he got ("Dammit man!").

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.