Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Skin Tag?Wart?! Watch

I've got a fleshy bump,about the size of the head of a small screw.It's right at the top of my bumcrack, not like, inside but just at the top.
    It isn't painful-I can get my fingernails to grip on it and pull at it and it doesn't hurt.
    The weird part is it's been there over two years -I've never bothered about it before but I recently have had couple of health scares and as such have turned into a hypochondriac it seems.I can't remember exactly how long it's been there but I know I had it already when I met my current partner and we've been together about two years.

I've never had warts anywhere. I'm inclined to think that if it WAS a wart it would have gone away on its own by now?
    Could it be a skin tag?I've got one of those in my armpit I think caused by shaving and this feels and looks very similar. Or something else?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    why don't you pop and get a nurse to look at it. only takes two minutes. If you've had it a while and it hasn't changed I wouldn't worry about it. But for your piece of mind go and have it looked at.

warts can last for years and years until you immunity fights it off. It could also be mole. And if it's a skin tag they are easy to remove.

Thank you-I know warts (as in the virus that causes them) can last for years but I didn't think the SAME wart could! I've never had one anywhere else-I actually went to the GP recently about something else 'down there' (I had little bumps on my vaginal lips and was worried they were wars lol-and she said they were just normal skin tissue and looked nothing like warts) but I forgot to mention this one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you-I know warts (as in the virus that causes them) can last for years but I didn't think the SAME wart could! I've never had one anywhere else-I actually went to the GP recently about something else 'down there' (I had little bumps on my vaginal lips and was worried they were wars lol-and she said they were just normal skin tissue and looked nothing like warts) but I forgot to mention this one!

yep when I was a kid I had to have a wart removed because I had it for 4 years! (I promise I ate my veg!). but yeah just pop down and have it looked at. I actually thought I had a wart/skin tag on my chest...I later found out it was a mole with no pigment in it. it's literally a white mole lol.

Hope it gets sorted soon

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctor to get it removed. Nothing, nothing is more vomit inducing than a wart, especially in a strange area. I'm not sure what it is, the idea just makes me shiver.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llessur123)
    Go to the doctor to get it removed. Nothing, nothing is more vomit inducing than a wart, especially in a strange area. I'm not sure what it is, the idea just makes me shiver.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dunno...I find unattractive personalities pretty vomit inducing...lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irishspringbok)
    I dunno...I find unattractive personalities pretty vomit inducing...lol
    I can't tell if you're just letting me know that or if this was a bad attempt at an insult.

ReputationRep:
    I can't tell if you're just letting me know that or if this was a bad attempt at an insult.
    an insult? what part of that suggests I was trying to insult you?....sheesh

ReputationRep:
    an insult? what part of that suggests I was trying to insult you?....sheesh
    It seemed irrelevant therefore I thought you were suggesting that I had a bad personality for finding warts disgusting. Never mind.

ReputationRep:
    It seemed irrelevant therefore I thought you were suggesting that I had a bad personality for finding warts disgusting. Never mind.

It was relevant to what you had posted I believe. You are entitled to find warts disgusting,just as I am entitled to find certain people disgusting. That wasn't aimed at you. I was misdirecting the the subject of "disgust" away from the very subject the thread starter is concerned about. Wouldn't want them to feel disgusting for having something on their body they have no control over. They only came on here for advice. If that makes sense..

ReputationRep:
    It was relevant to what you had posted I believe. You are entitled to find warts disgusting,just as I am entitled to find certain people disgusting. That wasn't aimed at you. I was misdirecting the the subject of "disgust" away from the very subject the thread starter is concerned about. Wouldn't want them to feel disgusting for having something on their body they have no control over. They only came on here for advice. If that makes sense..
    I'm not calling the person disgusting, I'm just saying warts are quite disgusting. A lot of physical conditions are horrible and to pretend they aren't would be a lie. That is why my advice would be to get rid of it.

I had a few little bumps on my labia and I were scared they were warts (I'm VERY paranoid lol) and the nurse laughed at me saying they were just normal skin tissue, nobody's skin is totally smooth down there and stuff. I forgot to mention this one but I guess it being there it's more likely to be just a 'normal' wart rather than a genital wart lol.
    It looks just like a part of the skin, it's not a different colour or anything but yes I will go to get it looked at. Do I need to go to a GUM/STD clinic,, or will a normal doctor do?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not calling the person disgusting, I'm just saying warts are quite disgusting. A lot of physical conditions are horrible and to pretend they aren't would be a lie. That is why my advice would be to get rid of it.
    No no I never said you were. But what if they are quite self-conscious about it etc. Nobody even knows what it is! lol.

In your opinion warts are disgusting.. that's fine. I just wouldn't like somebody to come on here seeking advice and then leave feeling worse about themselves.

You almost got offended by me expressing my opinion. who is to say they didn't take offence to yours? that's all I'm trying to say

ReputationRep:
    I had a few little bumps on my labia and I were scared they were warts (I'm VERY paranoid lol) and the nurse laughed at me saying they were just normal skin tissue, nobody's skin is totally smooth down there and stuff. I forgot to mention this one but I guess it being there it's more likely to be just a 'normal' wart rather than a genital wart lol.
    It looks just like a part of the skin, it's not a different colour or anything but yes I will go to get it looked at. Do I need to go to a GUM/STD clinic,, or will a normal doctor do?

your normal doctor would do fine. and at least you are thorough lol. Hope everything goes well

ReputationRep:
    your normal doctor would do fine. and at least you are thorough lol. Hope everything goes well
    No, a normal doctor will not do. If the issue is anywhere near a sexual region, it is best to go to a GUM clinic.

I would recommend going to a GUM clinic given its proximity to your ass crack. HPV can appear on the ass crack, and the GUM clinic will know better than a GP. However, if you're not sexually active and have never been, I would go to a GP. It's probably nothing, so I wouldn't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    No, a normal doctor will not do. If the issue is anywhere near a sexual region, it is best to go to a GUM clinic.

I would recommend going to a GUM clinic given its proximity to your ass crack. HPV can appear on the ass crack, and the GUM clinic will know better than a GP. However, if you're not sexually active and have never been, I would go to a GP. It's probably nothing, so I wouldn't worry too much.
    lol A doctor is more than capable of dealing with an unusual mark at the top of a butt crack ("not inside"). If the doctor believes it to be anything sexually transmitted they may suggest visiting a GUM clinic. it really doesn't matter which one you visit.

lol A doctor is more than capable of dealing with an unusual mark at the top of a butt crack ("not inside"). If the doctor believes it to be anything sexually transmitted they may suggest visiting a GUM clinic. it really doesn't matter which one you visit.
    No it's not inside. I was examined at the GUM clinic before but I might just go to the usual doctor for this. HPV I thought would have caused more than one and gone by now?

ReputationRep:
    No it's not inside. I was examined at the GUM clinic before but I might just go to the usual doctor for this. HPV I thought would have caused more than one and gone by now?
    you said it's been the same for a while now and it doesn't seem to be causing a massive problem. Jut because it's near your butt crack doesn't mean you have to go to the clinic. If you would prefer to go to the doctor then that's fine . All warts are caused by HPV, BUT, there are different strains of HPV. warts you get on your hands are cause by a totally different strain of virus than those found in the genitals.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised just how bad GPs can be in regards to the areas around there. Hell, I've even had dermatologists tell me fordyce's spots were warts.

And genital warts can be found between the crotch and the ass crack for most normal people, so being at the top is enough of a concern for it to be a genital wart.

Not necessarily. HPV can spring up numerous ways and can lie dormant for up to ten years. You may only ever see one wart, whether genital or not, but still have the virus in you.

you said it's been the same for a while now and it doesn't seem to be causing a massive problem. Jut because it's near your butt crack doesn't mean you have to go to the clinic. If you would prefer to go to the doctor then that's fine . All warts are caused by HPV, BUT, there are different strains of HPV. warts you get on your hands are cause by a totally different strain of virus than those found in the genitals.
    You don't have to go to the clinic for anything, but it's better as they spend their days looking at that kind of thing and can usually give a more definitive answer on whether one has genital warts than a GP. HPV is the most common reason for going to the GUM clinic.

ReputationRep:
    if a dermatologist can wrongly tell you that a spot is a wart then who's to say a sexual health nurse isn't going to mistake this for herpes?

neither option is wrong. lol

If she feels more comfortable going to a doctor then she can. At least she will eventually find out what it is and put her mind to rest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.