Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Hello,
    Just thought I'd dive right in, because I have a concern that I can't really voice IRL, for fear of hurting anyone.

I have a flatmate who I have lived with since the start of the academic year. He is a good person and we get on well; I knew him a little bfore we moved in together. I suppose once one lives along side a person you get to see all their personal habits and private self. And I find my flat mate eats so so much! In a way this shouldn't be a surprise to me; to be fair and frank, he is really quite a large man, and got bigger since the he started university.

Mainly his habits are that he doesn't do 'big' shops, just buys want he wants to eat on any given day- even if he puts food in the cupboards, say some tins of soup, of packets of biscuits, they will be gone in no time. I think he cannot pace himself with it. He also get takeaways often, like he can eat a whole KFC bargain bucket! Honestly, I was surprised that a person is able to eat that much.

I am not a judgemental person, I don't think badly of him for it... but there is 2 issues that are increasingly worrying me. The only time he has ever alluded to his eating habits was when I first moved in, and he said it's best if we manage our shopping/food separately But despite doing that, I find that once he has run out of food he sometimes eats mine, and I am sure many of us are aware of how annoying that can be. He sometimes tries to replace it at a later date, if he can, or at least hide the evidence (which also is not ideal, since I'd rather not have rubbish/packaging hidden in unusual places about the flat, other than the bin), and knowing that he is a kind person, I imagine he feels bad about it. But I think he doesn't have much control over it. He doesn't acknowledge or mention ever when he has done it. Also he seems to be short of money a lot, due to how much he spends on it I think, which makes household budgeting tricky at times.

My other worry is for his wellbeing; again, I don't mean to be judgemental but I think his health is suffering; one time I walked with him 10mins across town and he had to stop for a breather, he was really out of breath. I found it worrying.

BUT he is quite a sensitive person at the best of times, and he never talks about eating habits, so I am scared to bring it up, I know it'll upset him. I don't want to guilt trip him because, as I say, I am not sure he can help it much.

What do you think I should do, especially around the immediate problem of having my food go missing?

Hope that made any sense. Thanks,
    x

Also, we have another flatmate, but it doesn't impact on her much as she is hardly in, since she spend loads of time with her boyfriend, and doing restuarant work, where she gets a lot of hermeals, so I don't think she'd get involved much.

Also, we have another flatmate (just the 3 of us), but she is out a lot, as she spends a lot of time with her boyfriend, or working at a restaurant, where she gets many of her meals, so I don't think she'd get too involved.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe suggest seperate shelves in the fridge etc? Say you think he 'accidently' ate some of your food, so maybe it needs to be split up better. That hint might motivate him to avoid doing it. If it doesn't work maybe ask for contribution for what he ate, hopefully that is a big motivator!

ReputationRep:
    Take some of his food.

You could label your food, he might get the hint.

And like the other person said, separate cabinets and shelves in the fridge.

If you can afford it, buy a mini fridge and put it in your room.

And this is probably going to be really hard, confront him about it because it's going to be worse the longer you leave it and he might get some serious health problems.

ReputationRep:
    Hide your food!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.