Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Now it's been almost nine years since I graduated from LSE (BSc Management). I open this thread just to share my experience. During my last university year I applied to a dozen of employers (strategic consulting, financial consulting and investment consulting), but didn't get any invitations for interviews. None. Pay attention 2004 was a not a bad year for the economy, the credit crunch wasn't even contemplated back then.

Just in case: I'm not a UK citizen, so I required a work-permit to get employed in the UK, but thousands of graduates got them then: employers applied on their behalf and that was not an issue at all, once the employer wanted you. Now the situation is more stringent, afaik.

In August 2004 I left for my home country, and within a month I was employed with KPMG in my city.

Interesting enough, that until now I don't know what exactly was the reason driving HRs to reject my CV. Being a foreign national? No, as stated above, loads of graduates succeeded to get work permits. Expected honours was not 1st (it was 2nd actually)? Well, who cares when it's LSE! Poorly prepared CV? No, I got my CV reviewed by someone with a long work experience, who tried to make it attractive - and only afterwards I began to apply.

Till now, I am in doubt. Had I been employed by some bank in the City or a consultancy, my life would have been completely different now.

And, just as a warning - a degree from a top-ranking college doesn't guarantee you anything, as it turns out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cholom)

And, just as a warning - a diploma of a top-ranking college doesn't guarantee you anything, as it turns out.
    You mean you didn't get the degree (2:1)? I think it's why you were not able to secure an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londonburger)
    You mean you didn't get the degree (2:1)? I think it's why you were not able to secure an interview.
    1) Of course I was awarded the degree, I used "diploma" in a broad sense (a BSc award is in essence a diploma as well), not in the UK "Diploma of Higher Education" meaning.

2) Well, as for enrolment and selection in most companies that have annual graduate intakes - it actually a long process lasting more than 6 months, so all (or almost all - don't remember now) of applications I made, were actually filed before I got my final exam results ^)

ReputationRep:
    Even if you did get a 2.2, it's surprising, but not out of the question as to why you were rejected.

Anyway, KPMG are still a fantastic global finance company to start off at so I'm not sure why you're thinking 'what if'. You may be unemployed right now had someone like Lehmann Brothers offered you a job...

A few from the top 6 join the big4 auditors, they're not exactly **** companies lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makebelieve15)
    Even if you did get a 2.2, it's surprising, but not out of the question as to why you were rejected.

Anyway, KPMG are still a fantastic global finance company to start off at so I'm not sure why you're thinking 'what if'. You may be unemployed right now had someone like Lehmann Brothers offered you a job...

A few from the top 6 join the big4 auditors, they're not exactly **** companies lol
    A lot, actually.

Seems like a negative attitude for someone looking to apply to big 4 internships!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.