Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Boris gets a monstering on live TV Watch

ReputationRep:
    Boris Johnson was turned into a bit of a nervous wreck this morning by Eddie Mair on the Andrew Marr show.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...e-of-work.html

It was a useful reminder that Boris has not always had a strong grip on the truth, or on good manners and ethical behaviour. Interesting in the light of his obvious desire to be PM and the campaign underway in many parts of the media and the Tory Party to make him Tory leader.

One of the most alarming things is the recording with his old friend Darius Guppy (who went to prison for fraud and robbery) where Johnson agreed to provide the address of a man Guppy wants to beat up. Interesting to hear his evasions about this incident in the interview.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Guppy

Interview starts at 27:22 on the iplayer.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ow_24_03_2013/

The interview trails a special on Boris by famed BBC investigator Michael Cockerill, which goes out tomorrow evening on BBC2 at 9pm.

ReputationRep:
    I'm willing to bet that to get far in politics you have to be a bit of a Machiavellian thug from time to time.

Cripes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Boris Johnson was turned into a bit of a nervous wreck this morning by Eddie Mair on the Andrew Marr show.

It was a useful reminder that Boris has not always had a strong grip on the truth, or on good manners and ethical behaviour. Interesting in the light of his obvious desire to be PM and the campaign underway in many parts of the media and the Tory Party to make him Tory leader.

One of the most alarming things is the recording with his old friend Darius Guppy (who went to prison for fraud and robbery) where Johnson agreed to provide the address of a man Guppy wants to beat up. Interesting to hear his evasions about this incident in the interview.

The interview trails a special on Boris by famed BBC investigator Michael Cockerill, which goes out tomorrow evening on BBC2 at 9pm.
    To be fair. As funny as it was to watch Boris squirm like that, what he was been asked hardly counts as journalism.

ReputationRep:
    Basically Mr Johnson got exposed like Julio César Chávez was against Maravilla..........

(If you pretend that Round 12 never happened)

:indiff:

ReputationRep:
    He's a bloody idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    To be fair. As funny as it was to watch Boris squirm like that, what he was been asked hardly counts as journalism.
    What has journalism become now, however?

Entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    People need reminding that he is not the man he pretends to be, I very much enjoyed that interview

ReputationRep:
    Thought little of it to be honest, these questions have been asked before many times. I would hardly constitute it as journalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    Thought little of it to be honest, these questions have been asked before many times. I would hardly constitute it as journalism.
    I don't recall him ever being closely questioned like this on live news about Darius Guppy, the women and his tricksy behaviour at newspapers. When was that?

ReputationRep:
    I don't recall him ever being closely questioned like this on live news about Darius Guppy, the women and his tricksy behaviour at newspapers. When was that?
    He has been quizzed about these before on Dispatches on Channel 4 in 2009 http://www.channel4.com/programmes/d...es-7/episode-1

ReputationRep:
    Since it all happened over 10 years ago i'm not sure how it constitutes "news" anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Since it all happened over 10 years ago i'm not sure how it constitutes "news" anymore.
    What makes it "news" is that a Tory MP in Lincs has just the other day indicated that he will drop his seat to give way for Boris to re-enter Parliament and BJ himself has suddenly stopped saying there is no chance of him ever becoming PM. Clearly the struggle to make Boris the Leader is reaching some sort of decisive point. Against that background, it becomes very relevant to focus on what sort of man he really is and to not let him get away with the news management PR line that he is just the bluff, likeable, scruffy and harmless posh bloke next door.

ReputationRep:
    What makes it "news" is that a Tory MP in Lincs has just the other day indicated that he will drop his seat to give way for Boris to re-enter Parliament and BJ himself has suddenly stopped saying there is no chance of him ever becoming PM. Clearly the struggle to make Boris the Leader is reaching some sort of decisive point. Against that background, it becomes very relevant to focus on what sort of man he really is and to not let him get away with the news management PR line that he is just the bluff, likeable, scruffy and harmless posh bloke next door.
    This was all brought up into the run up of 2008 as Meenu stated, and he still won. Did again in 2012.

Honestly I hope he goes for the seat I really do. Because as it stands there is no one inside the Parliamentry Party to oppose Cameron as all of his capable leadership contenders have gone.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thinks electing a massive Libertarian on immigration policy to the leader of a party that's hemorrhaging votes to the anti-immigration UKIP and replacing someone who's generally seen as too soft on immigration would be the height of idiocy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    Am I the only one who thinks electing a massive Libertarian on immigration policy to the leader of a party that's hemorrhaging votes to the anti-immigration UKIP and replacing someone who's generally seen as too soft on immigration would be the height of idiocy.
    There's very little between Boris and Dave politically - they are both socially liberal and fiscally ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    There's very little between Boris and Dave politically - they are both socially liberal and fiscally ignorant.
    Fiscally ignorant? Oh please Boris would actually appoint someone who knows what 2 + 2 actually means at the treasury. Osborne needs Cameron to survive and vice versa, this doesn't apply to Boris.

I was quite shocked. I always thought Boris could easily stand up to journalists who tried to grill him. Today made me realise he's just like everyone else really. Nothing but a rat like any other politician, and that's ignoring the content of the specific allegations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    I was quite shocked. I always thought Boris could easily stand up to journalists who tried to grill him. Today made me realise he's just like everyone else really. Nothing but a rat like any other politician, and that's ignoring the content of the specific allegations.
    Mair is a very clever, tough, persistent interviewer who doesn't suffer fools gladly - in his way, he's more of a player than Paxman I feel, he really pins shifty politicians down. He's often on Radio 4 news programmes, they are worth listening to just for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    He had a pretty poor interview at last years tory conference with Andrew Neil. This isnt the first and the last time this will happen.

I can imagine that David Cameron must be very happy right now.

ReputationRep:

Get off your moral high horse, no one is perfect.
    It happened 20 years ago.
    I am sure people can dig nasty things from your past when you reach 40 years old.

Boo hoo hoo he lied when he had an affair....just like 99% of people who would.

Boo hoo hoo he said he would give the address, so what! did anybody die? get beaten up? maybe he just said that to keep his mate happy, look at it in context. people just go alone and not do what they said
    . humoring him.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.