This discussion is closed.
winorloose
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
This is based on my own experience, and I would be interested to know other people's opinions, preferably in a reasonable manner.

I would say that someone with high intelligence, but with a large degree of dyslexia would be less affected than someone with low intelligence, but a low degree of dyslexia.

An analogy:

Intelligence can be likened to a fire or beacon. The brighter/hotter the fire, the more intelligent the person. Dyslexia is a fog or mist. The thicker the greater the degree of dyslexia.

A bright fire will shine through the fog better than a weak one, even if the fog is thinner about the weak fire. Likewise, a small fire but without much in the way of fog will also be very visible. The metaphor can be extended to most, if not all, circumstances.

I accept that everyone is different, but I would be interested in thought about both the validity of the analogy, and the original thought itself.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you saying that clever people with dysleixa will make somthing of lie no matter what but a thick person would struggle? Dosn't this apply to anything?
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Are you saying that clever people with dysleixa will make somthing of lie no matter what but a thick person would struggle? Dosn't this apply to anything?
Yes that is what he is saying. And in a way it's true. My father has dysleixa, but he didn't find out he had it until they dicnoised me. And my father has been very sucessful in life.
winorloose
No, that a clever person will be affected less, that they will have to struggle less, with say, reading speeds, organisation etc. Someone with lower intelligence might feel the effects more.
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by winorloose)
No, that a clever person will be affected less, that they will have to struggle less, with say, reading speeds, organisation etc. A stupid person might feel the effects more.
You are insulting me there you know.
winorloose
(Original post by Dude)
You are insulting me there you know.
If I am, I'm insulting myself, my mum, and my siblings.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A stupid person might feel the effects more.

I see trouble...
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This is based on my own experience, and I would be interested to know other people's opinions, preferably in a reasonable manner.

I would say that someone with high intelligence, but with a large degree of dyslexia would be less affected than someone with low intelligence, but a low degree of dyslexia.

An analogy:

Intelligence can be likened to a fire or beacon. The brighter/hotter the fire, the more intelligent the person. Dyslexia is a fog or mist. The thicker the greater the degree of dyslexia.

A bright fire will shine through the fog better than a weak one, even if the fog is thinner about the weak fire. Likewise, a small fire but without much in the way of fog will also be very visible. The metaphor can be extended to most, if not all, circumstances.

I accept that everyone is different, but I would be interested in thought about both the validity of the analogy, and the original thought itself.
i don't think that a more intelligant person will find it any easier to cope with dyslexia- more that because they are more intelilgent (higher iq or whatever) it is less likely to get picked up. I think that people with dyslexia will all find it hard...
winorloose
(Original post by blissy)
I see trouble...
Maybe stupid wasn't the right word, (I steered clear in the original post) but i was answering amazing trade's post, which talked about thick people.

I'll go and change it any way before it does
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, that a clever person will be affected less, that they will have to struggle less, with say, reading speeds, organisation etc. A stupid person might feel the effects more.

I agree to a degree. My girlfriend has terrible dyslexia and still got BBC at A level which in my eyes was a far greater result than anything I got because I saw how much effort she had to put in. I was so happy for her, she really strugles sometimes, and she made me very proud
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think to a large extent it depends on how willing the individual is to overcome the illness.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think some people use it as an excuse "I failed all my GCSEs because I am dylsexic etc" when that person didn't bother doing any revision. I am partyl dyslexic, I have problems with mixing up words and spellings (I used to be a lot worse) however I didn't have the test done. I do have dyspraxia which is similar but very different.

My mild learning difficulities have just made me more determined to do well though.
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think some people use it as an excuse "I failed all my GCSEs because I am dylsexic etc" when that person didn't bother doing any revision. I am partyl dyslexic, I have problems with mixing up words and spellings (I used to be a lot worse) however I didn't have the test done. I do have dyspraxia which is similar but very different.

My mild learning difficulities have just made me more determined to do well though.
Man i hate that. I am dyslexic and i got 6 C's on my GCSE's and i'm in the top five of my AVCE class in terms of points.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

good for you! i think it depends to a large extent how much the individual tries to do their best despite dyslexia. i agree that some people would use dyslexia as an excuse from working hard, but at the end of the day thats their loss.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (34)
8.13%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (37)
8.85%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (97)
23.21%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (55)
13.16%
No, nothing has changed (124)
29.67%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (71)
16.99%

Watched Threads