Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Guys just don't like me... Watch

Hi, please keep anon as I don't want my friends knowing this haha.

I'm 18 and in college and I literally have never received any attention from guys. I'm not expecting guys to be crowding around me or anything but they don't even look at me or talk to me or anything. All of my friends have had boyfriends or at the very least had a guy like them but I haven't. I've never even held hands with a guy, let alone anything else haha.

I don't know where I'm going wrong. I'm not ugly, just average but I've seen girls on par with me get boyfriends easily. I'm not fat and I'm not horrible or annoying or anything. I'm shy though so perhaps that's it? I've been coming out of my shell more at college and smiling and talking to people but nothing's really changed.

It seems everyone has had boyfriends regardless of their looks and personality so I don't know if I just have a terrible combination of traits or something?

Guys, do you have any advice or ideas on why this is the case? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    my only real advice to give would just be yourself, and when the opportunity comes, take it. I think everyone has this mind set from time to time, nothing will really change that because that's just how we are, we don't want to be left out. Ohh, by the way I prefer shy girls. Just stick in there trooper, your time will come!

ReputationRep:
    Just be yourself, do the things you enjoy, and meet guys with similar interests. Befriending is always a good place to start from

ReputationRep:
    I like you

ReputationRep:
    i feel your pain, sister. i feel it.

apparently guys are attracted to confidence and humour...

ReputationRep:
    You could always try buying a robosapien, they're really friendly and you can make them do whatever you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)

If a girl can make me laugh, it's almost an instant win (for me).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I'm 18 and in college and I literally have never received any attention from guys. I'm not expecting guys to be crowding around me or anything but they don't even look at me or talk to me or anything. All of my friends have had boyfriends or at the very least had a guy like them but I haven't. I've never even held hands with a guy, let alone anything else haha.

I don't know where I'm going wrong. I'm not ugly, just average but I've seen girls on par with me get boyfriends easily. I'm not fat and I'm not horrible or annoying or anything. I'm shy though so perhaps that's it? I've been coming out of my shell more at college and smiling and talking to people but nothing's really changed.

It seems everyone has had boyfriends regardless of their looks and personality so I don't know if I just have a terrible combination of traits or something?

I'd work on your shyness first, as you have been doing, though I would also urge you to not have 'having a boyfriend' as a goal, or as a competition with other girls. Be more outgoing for your own sake, and if someone likes your personality, and you like theirs then that's great but not the goal in itself (at least until you hit 30 and get reminded every day by your mother and her friends about your biological clock ).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, no guy on the face of the planet likes you. Not one.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

You free for some coffee at Starbucks on Thursday morning at Covent Garden?

ReputationRep:
    It should be more about what people like, There are plenty of people who could be ideal mates to give the offspring the best chance of survival, but it's not about that.
    Try expressing your interests or look beyond your school, join outside clubs or go to concerts/events, your bound to meet people with similar interests and then BAM.

ReputationRep:

I'm sure some shy and unconfident guys are attracted to shy and unconfident girls.

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same way so commented to get some advice too! Sorry for stealing :3

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how shy you are.... hermit shy or do you just need a little poke to get you talking? Do your friends overshadow you in conversations with guys? Do you make eye-contact when you're talking to guys?
    Maybe I shoulda started with.... have you ever spoken to a guy?
    If you are average looking then it has to be your attitude/personality/confidence

ReputationRep:
    Give yourself a boost & buy some sexy perfume....who needs guys

ReputationRep:
    Guys are intimidated by attractive girls, and make no movements in fear of rejection. This is why you see many unattractive guys with attractive girls...someones finally had the balls to give them some attention.

ReputationRep:
    Try pretending to be confident, I'm really shy and had the same problem as you, but in the last few weeks I've just been acting as though I'm confident and it made a difference!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    I am intimidated by attractive girls, and make no movements in fear of rejection.
    Speak for yourself in future... I'm not intimidated by any girls, no matter how attractive they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    You're probably ugly. It's the main reason why girls don't get male attention. They're ugly.
    Fair does if you want to tell yourself this but don't try and bring others down with your negative thinking.

Thank you for all your replies, I really appreciate them all.

(Original post by SirRamAlot)
    I like you
    Haha, aww this is too sweet.

I know. It's annoying because I have this confident and witty side to me it's just hard showing it to guys I don't know too well haha. Some guys say they like shy girls but I've never seen that apply in "real life".

(Original post by ColonelCuddles)
    It depends on how shy you are.... hermit shy or do you just need a little poke to get you talking? Do your friends overshadow you in conversations with guys? Do you make eye-contact when you're talking to guys?
    Maybe I shoulda started with.... have you ever spoken to a guy?
    If you are average looking then it has to be your attitude/personality/confidence
    I'm in my second year of a-levels and in the first year I was hermit shy to be honest. But now I'm much more relaxed and I have lots of guy friends/acquaintences who I can talk to comfortably and we make eachother laugh so I'm not awkward anymore. I don't like to approach guys but once they approach me I relax quite easily. I don't have the excuse of not being surrounded by enough guys because I'm the only girl in two of my classes haha.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.