Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have my Higher English prelim in 3 days and I'm absolutely dreading it! I don't feel I'm prepared at all. Has anyone done the prelim already? If so, how horrific was it?

Di x

ReputationRep:
    Your prelims are quite late :O but sorry I didn't do English

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing home study Higher English so that could be why it is later. I wish it was a bit later still though to allow more time to prepare!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DianeB)
    I'm doing home study Higher English so that could be why it is later. I wish it was a bit later still though to allow more time to prepare!
    I got 51% in my prelim chose a single scene essay and wrote about 5 scenes! A word of advice spend atleast 5 min to pick the question and ALWAYS relate to the question and cover both parts of the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolkate)
    A word of advice spend atleast 5 min to pick the question and ALWAYS relate to the question and cover both parts of the question.
    No - don't. You don't have time to mess around picking a question. Spend a couple of minutes at most, and make sure you read it properly. Then get your pen on the paper and get writing. Running out of time before you've written your essays isn't going to help!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry i can't go much worse than mine! I did my prelim at the beginning of February and it was an absolute nightmare. I went in and literally forgot everything. My close reading is normally pretty strong but I just had a complete meltdown - I ran out of time, was missing out questions left, right and centre, and was getting completely stumped on one mark understanding questions I then went into Paper 2 and everything there was to forget - I forgot. I only used two quotes, both of which were predominantly made up, and I practically forgot who Macbeth was. But don't mind me - you be fiiiiiine! Good Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FH1996)
    Don't worry i can't go much worse than mine! I did my prelim at the beginning of February and it was an absolute nightmare. I went in and literally forgot everything. My close reading is normally pretty strong but I just had a complete meltdown - I ran out of time, was missing out questions left, right and centre, and was getting completely stumped on one mark understanding questions I then went into Paper 2 and everything there was to forget - I forgot. I only used two quotes, both of which were predominantly made up, and I practically forgot who Macbeth was. But don't mind me - you be fiiiiiine! Good Luck!!
    Thanks for the luck! How did it go, if you don't mind me asking? If I fail, can I resit?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the luck! How did it go, if you don't mind me asking? If I fail, can I resit?
    Sorry for the extremely belated reply, I hope it went well! To my absolute disbelief I somehow miraculously managed to get an A! 70% ON. THE. DOT! I could not believe it!!!!

The important thing though is I think it shows that no matter how badly you think it's going, just keep waffling and just try to make as many points as you can because someone might actually manage to make sense of it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and well done on the A! There was almost definitely waffling! I just hope some of it did make sense. I'm still waiting on my result and I'm getting a bit nervous now because there's only a month til the exam. I will have to chase the tutor again tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in the prelim but my teacher practically told us what the question were going to be about. You would think that's a good thing but now I don't feel like I've done it properly so I don't know if I could actually get that in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and well done on the A! There was almost definitely waffling! I just hope some of it did make sense. I'm still waiting on my result and I'm getting a bit nervous now because there's only a month til the exam. I will have to chase the tutor again tomorrow
    Thanks! I'm sure it will have gone well but even if it doesn't I wouldn't be disheartened - I know SO many people who got a C in their English prelim and an A in the exam!!

ReputationRep:
    Oops I didn't realise this thread was from so long ago haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lydofateapot)
    I got an A in the prelim but my teacher practically told us what the question were going to be about. You would think that's a good thing but now I don't feel like I've done it properly so I don't know if I could actually get that in the exam.
    Remember you've also got your folio to boost your grade and teachers generally tend to mark harsher in the prelim, setting the A boundary at 70%. However, if you look at the SQA's spreadsheets, the A boundary has consistently been at around 65% in recent years (as low as 63% one year, I think), with the A1 boundary at 72%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FH1996)
    Thanks! I'm sure it will have gone well but even if it doesn't I wouldn't be disheartened - I know SO many people who got a C in their English prelim and an A in the exam!!
    Thanks. I looked at my phone this morning and I had an e-mail from the tutor (sent at 1 a.m!) advising me that I had passed with 69%. So I obviously did a lot better than I thought! Guessing that's a B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    Remember you've also got your folio to boost your grade and teachers generally tend to mark harsher in the prelim, setting the A boundary at 70%. However, if you look at the SQA's spreadsheets, the A boundary has consistently been at around 65% in recent years (as low as 63% one year, I think), with the A1 boundary at 72%.
    Thanks. An A would be good, in case I have to appeal after final exam! The tutor seems happy with the folio pieces and hasn't asked me to make any changes so hopefully I'm all set for the exam now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.