Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I currently have the scientific calculator 'Casio FX-991ESPLUS'. In June, I will be sitting the AQA Statistics 1 exam and was wondering whether buying a graphic calculator would be beneficial.

Because the exam can be done without a graphic calculator is it worth my money buying one? And how difficult would it be to sit the statistics exam just using the formula book and a scientific calculator?

AlsoI will be doing further maths next year so will having a graphic calculator help or is my current scientific calculator sufficient for now and next year?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SherlockHolmes)
    I currently have the scientific calculator 'Casio FX-991ESPLUS'. In June, I will be sitting the AQA Statistics 1 exam and was wondering whether buying a graphic calculator would be beneficial.
    Not particularly.

IBecause the exam can be done without a graphic calculator is it worth my money buying one?
    Probably not.

And how difficult would it be to sit the statistics exam just using the formula book and a scientific calculator?
    Equally difficult.

Also I will be doing further maths next year so will having a graphic calculator help
    Not much.

or is my current scientific calculator sufficient for now and next year?
    Yes.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The Casio-991 is a great calculator and there really isn't any need to buy a graphical calculator, unless you've got a spare £50 that you urgently want to spend on something.

ReputationRep:
    not sure how a graphical calculator would help in a Statistics exam ? sure if was a C3 exam where you have to transform graphs etc...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    The Casio-991 is a great calculator and there really isn't any need to buy a graphical calculator, unless you've got a spare £50 that you urgently want to spend on something.
    (Original post by the bear)
    not sure how a graphical calculator would help in a Statistics exam ? sure if was a C3 exam where you have to transform graphs etc...
    I see. The reason I ask is because my College is strongly recommending me to buy one and say using a graphic calculator saves a lot of time in the statistics exam.

ReputationRep:
    I see. The reason I ask is because my College is strongly recommending me to buy one and say using a graphic calculator saves a lot of time in the statistics exam.
    Get the person who recommends you buy one to show you some stats 1 exam papers and highlight where a graphical calculator will save this time and where a more straightforward calculator will significantly slower.

ReputationRep:
    the only thing i use it for is S2 when making tables and calculating chi-squared but no you don't need it really

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.