Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,
    I've been applying for various summer internships since October and had no lucky!
    Im studying Civil Engineering BEng and am in 2nd year and am on course to easily obtain a 1st class degree with a 85% average so far.
    Ive had my CV looked at by various people including careers office at uni who have said it pretty much ticks all the boxes so I can only assume thats not the problem...

Has anyone had any luck this year with internships? What was your method of applying? Who to? Where did you look etc. lol

Starting to think the ship has set sail already now but I'll keep trying lol.

Jon.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What stage(s) are you falling at? Are you getting interviews, or are you just being completely ignored for example?

I've completed two summer placements; the first I got through networking and the second I got through applying via company websites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    What stage(s) are you falling at? Are you getting interviews, or are you just being completely ignored for example?

I've completed two summer placements; the first I got through networking and the second I got through applying via company websites.
    Either being ignored or getting emails back saying I did not make it.
    I've applied via company websites, sent emails directly to people, applied through adverts for placements and been to my uni job fair - which was an absolute joke and half the civils companies didnt even turn up.
    Although I'll keep trying I am starting to think this experience malarky aint worth it!

ReputationRep:
    check with [email protected] internships, quick reply and their opportunities are available all year round.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply Graca but from what I can make you anyep only offer volunteer type programs in Africa for teaching or something along those lines and I am looking for engineering experience.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonDymond)
    Either being ignored or getting emails back saying I did not make it.
    I've applied via company websites, sent emails directly to people, applied through adverts for placements and been to my uni job fair - which was an absolute joke and half the civils companies didnt even turn up.
    Although I'll keep trying I am starting to think this experience malarky aint worth it!
    It's primarily a numbers game, the formula for which would depend on how many companies you apply to, how lucky you are, how good your CV/application is and how many other people are also looking for internships at the companies you have applied to. You just need to keep trying.

ReputationRep:
    Anyep do not run that program fultime since they have few inquiries regarding the same, however they can help you find the right internship for your career.

ReputationRep:
    Just an update to those who have been or are in the situation I was - dont give up. I finally made it to an interview (whole day assessment center) for one of the UKs largest companies where I was selected and am now being sent to Switzerland for the summer on an internship - so dont give up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonDymond)
    Just an update to those who have been or are in the situation I was - dont give up. I finally made it to an interview (whole day assessment center) for one of the UKs largest companies where I was selected and am now being sent to Switzerland for the summer on an internship - so dont give up!
    Nice what company?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.