Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,
    I am in my AS year studying math, further math, chemistry and physics and i am hoping to study for an chemistry masters at Oxford or Cambridge, i have a few questions i was hoping someone could help with i will try and be concise.

I really don't know what I can use to my advantage when applying, i have some things to mention for my statement but they aren't spectacular, i have a bronze science crest award, a bronze in the UKMT, a bronze DofE and a grade 3 piano distinction (i am working towards 5 now). These don't feel competitive when considering what other students might have. My GCSE grades were 6A* and 4A but still i am worried. I did visit CERN but is that a relevant thing to mention?
    Bascually i guess i don't know what is worth adding or what I can do before i apply to be more likely to get a chance at maybe studying at a dream university like that. I have recently considered the Cambridge lower 6th exam but have worried it could be scrutinised against if done poorly.

The reading list is the other thing concerning me, I have a poor memory with remembing details in books and the reccomended reading list has books 1000+ pages, i have been reading the organic chemistry 4th edition but don't want to mention it in a statement because there is so much they could ask about it. So far for my AS i am on 100 UMS in chemistry hopefully that will be useful.

please can somebody help i will do anything to go to Oxbridge i am just somewhat lost with it all , thank you guys (sorry for the essay)

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I've recently gone through the Cam application and been offered a place (although not for NatSci) so I will see if I can help

The first thing you need to do is choose which university you will apply for. You can't apply to both, and they are very different institutions with different courses. The Oxford degree offers straight Chemistry, whilst at Cam you would study Natural Sciences. The structure of these courses is very different so do your research first as to which you would prefer.

The Cambridge application system focuses very strongly on UMS, so if you maintain that level or near it in your summer exams you would have a strong chance applying there. Oxford places more emphasis on GCSEs and admissions tests. Your GCSEs are definitely good enough for Oxford, but do bear in mind that there will be applicants with more. Don't let other people tell you that they aren't good when they clearly are. Interviews are important for both, and Cambridge interview a much higher proportion of applicants than Oxford so take that into consideration as well.

The single most important thing you can do now is focus on your upcoming exams. These will be vital in your application to any university let alone Oxbridge so aim to do as well as possible (it'll also make next year easier).

Extra-curricular-wise, neither uni pay any attention to anything that isn't directly related to your course. Although it shows you can balance your time, they will not be concerned in the slightest about any DofE or music (unless that is what you are applying for obviously) so don't put them on your PS and don't let them take up too much time. Maths Challenges are great and well respected although I am unfamiliar with science crest awards. Keep working at them to increase them from bronze level. I think a really helpful resource is the PS library here, as you can look at other Oxbridge/Chemistry applicants and see the sort of things they were doing.

Finally, don't spend too long worrying about the recommended reading list. You don't by any stretch of the imagination need to read them all cover to cover, but instead focus on areas within the subject that you enjoy, e.g. Organic Chemistry (lol GCSE knowledge being helpful!) and focus on that. Make notes on any that particularly interest you and research around those areas.

Good luck! PM me if you need any more help and I will try, and I can direct you to some NatSci offer holders if that would help

ps sorry for the essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callous-b)
    Sorry forgot to quote you :facepalm: :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer for English at Exeter College, Oxford. I did D of E, I volunteered for an entire summer in my local library with children, I pulled every muscle I own getting to green belt in Kung Fu.

And all they were concerned about in my interview was what I had read out of college work. All that blood, sweat, tears, mud and snot was not taken into account at all

*outside
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by isabellahellyes)
    I have an offer for English at Exeter College, Oxford. I did D of E, I volunteered for an entire summer in my local library with children, I pulled every muscle I own getting to green belt in Kung Fu.

And all they were concerned about in my interview was what I had read out of college work. All that blood, sweat, tears, mud and snot was not taken into account at all

*outside
    As opposed to an economics degree, which consists almost entirely of blood, sweat, tears, mud and snot :P

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.