Turn on thread page Beta

What do ya do with a history degree watch

ReputationRep:
    ive finally applied to do a history course at uni as iv got nothing better to do, its a slow step forward in the right direction, but what can i do with a history degree!!??

ReputationRep:
    almost anything is the right answer. 50% of graduate jobs don't ask for a specific degree so they will be open to you along with the usual stuff like teaching, lecturing, research.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious)
    ive finally applied to do a history course at uni as iv got nothing better to do, its a slow step forward in the right direction, but what can i do with a history degree!!??
    You applied to do History at university because you have nothing better to do?!? Are you aware of the huge amount of work a history degree entails?

ReputationRep:
    Would you like to go large on that?

(I think they're stopping supersizing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sisyphus)
    Would you like to go large on that?

(I think they're stopping supersizing).
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    You applied to do History at university because you have nothing better to do?!? Are you aware of the huge amount of work a history degree entails?
    yea but i can read thats no problem, whats 8 hours of lectures a week eh

ReputationRep:
    yea but i can read thats no problem, whats 8 hours of lectures a week eh
    It's not just about reading! Eight? I will only have four. The sourcework etc will be difficult and time consuming, the essays and exams require more than reading to prepare for them.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about reading! Eight? I will only have four. The sourcework etc will be difficult and time consuming, the essays and exams require more than reading to prepare for them.
    ditto. If you want, Notorious, I'll e-mail you some of my essay bibliographies. Then you'll see how much work a history course really entails (if you want to come out of it with a good degree, that is).

ReputationRep:
    I did a history degree and it was not easy!! it is not about merely reading but about indepth analysis and contribution to existing scholarship.

when I just started i was in the same position. i did it just because uni was the next step after a levels. I wish I had done differently as my true interest lies in law and legal practices.

maybe history will work for you and you could always move on from it...but from experience it would be ideal to know what you really want to do b4 entering uni.

ReputationRep:
    ditto. Thanks for pointing that out, claire1985 - finally someone who acknowledges that History can be bloody hard work. If you want, Notorious, I'll e-mail you some of my essay bibliographies. Then you'll see how much (and what kind of) reading a history course really entails (if you want to come out of it with a good degree, that is).

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, didn't mean to post that twice. But 'm busy writing an essay at the same time, so I got a bit confused.

ReputationRep:
    Become Prince of Wales? Nice place Wales, could be worth your while.

ReputationRep:
    I graduated from an American university with a degree in history.

People who think that history is an easy course of study are smoking crack. It takes a lot of work, but is very stimulating.

If you have good reading skills, strong writing abilities, and can analyze the cause and effects of events, you can do very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommyboy)
    ditto. If you want, Notorious, I'll e-mail you some of my essay bibliographies. Then you'll see how much work a history course really entails (if you want to come out of it with a good degree, that is).
    that would be great and much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    im doing a history degree but am now havign serious doubts. Ive really found the A Level dull, i hope I find it more interesting at university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlord)
    im doing a history degree but am now havign serious doubts. Ive really found the A Level dull, i hope I find it more interesting at university
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr; Go here: http://www.uk-learning.net/t24860.html

(Original post by aliel)
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr; Go here: http://www.uk-learning.net/t24860.html
    All that link does is highlight the benefits of a History degree. I would suggest that if someone does not actually enjoy the degree then they have little / no chance of attaining or appreciating these benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    All that link does is highlight the benefits of a History degree. I would suggest that if someone does not actually enjoy the degree then they have little / no chance of attaining or appreciating these benefits.
    Yeah, you're right- consider it in reference to the thread title

(Original post by aliel)
    Yeah, you're right- consider it in reference to the thread title
    Then you miss-quoted someone....why am I not suprised that your a historian....?!?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.