Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What is the difference between killing a dog for food to killing a pig for food? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How is one more wrong than an other?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't and anyone who says it is is an idiot.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    One isn't more wrong than the other. One is just more culturally alien to us than the other.

ReputationRep:
    You can keep dogs as pets. Pigs are farm animals.

...Or that's what our society will tell you. There isn't really a difference. Both are probably just as tasty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatebrownbread)
    It isn't.

No difference at all if they are both treated the same.

However in cultures where dog is eaten the animals are treated horrifically, which is why I wouldn't eat it.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, cats and dogs have been bred to act as human companions, pigs, cows etc are bred to be food.

Totally agree though

ReputationRep:
    It's not wrong, but considering we've bred pigs to be good food and bred dogs to be good companions, which one makes more sense to turn into food and which a companion?

ReputationRep:
    Pigs taste better, from what I hear..

ReputationRep:
    some people keep pigs as pets... normally those little vietnamese ones ( the pigs not the people )

ReputationRep:
    Because it looks wrong in a way that other animals don't :

Name:  dog market.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  46.2 KB

Dogs, like humans, can fall in to very different personalities. They can be either lovable, loyal bundles of fur or vicious, terrritorial teeth gnarlers. Either way, because we are used to seeing them in a domestic context in which owners tie up their personality with theirs, they do not look right rendered unmovable , loyal now only to be put in our stomachs, ready for our consumption.

Whereas something that seemingly has a relatively unchanging nature in general as a species, like a lamb or a shark, can be regarded as it being in its nature to be consumed by us.

Or, in short, anything that tends to be kept as a pet does not feel right to be consumed although (you should be ashamed of yourself!) some make an exception for rabbits - can't you stick to pheasant if you want something different? The average person doesn't tend to keep pheasants as pets in general. Most people in the UK do not tend to keep pigs as pets unless you have 'vast tracts of.. land'. And pigs are oinky and smelly and snouty. Personally I think that pork and gammon are strange old meats that I wouldn't touch and it's only bacon that makes the pig very edible.

ReputationRep:
    We evolved working together for mutual benefit; dogs used our height, sight and possibly endurance, we used their smell, hearing and speed. It's like killing and eating your mate after he buys you dinner.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Bacon. Bacon is the difference.

Lest you doubt me:

ReputationRep:
    Culture mostly but people see dogs as pets and pigs as food generally. Dogs are more evolved to be our companions, if I was stuck with a pig and dog on an uninhabited Island I would be better off eating the pig and then using the dog for protection and/or hunting/ finding food/ finding water etc.

ReputationRep:
    Dogs are carnivores whereas pigs (as far as I can tell) omnivores. Dogs also have uses beyond simple consumption, such as in herding and for companionship.

In terms of whether it's more wrong wrong to eat a dog, it simply depends on society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatebrownbread)
    Pig would be better tasting and have significantly more meat.

Why would you want to eat dog if pig were available?

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.