Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1. Should I be expecting an email any time soon concerning accommodation?

2. The course looks great, however just to clarify this:

You will also study two other subjects of your choice in year 1: see Degrees in Arts, Science and Social Sciences
    http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/d...putingscience/

What does it mean by two other subjects? So I could do Computer Science with German for example?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure exactly how I ended up on this thread but I think I can help a bit about outside courses from when I was thinking about applying to computer science at Glasgow. Basically, you take 120 credits each year and there will be 40 credits of first year computer science that you can take (I think you will have to do some kind of maths modules as well because your a computer science student.) The other 40 could in theory be anything offered by the university (Not medicine, vet med ect) that fits into your timetable. A good rule to use would be if you can do a joint degree with it, you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qno2)
    Not sure exactly how I ended up on this thread but I think I can help a bit about outside courses from when I was thinking about applying to computer science at Glasgow. Basically, you take 120 credits each year and there will be 40 credits of first year computer science that you can take (I think you will have to do some kind of maths modules as well because your a computer science student.) The other 40 could in theory be anything offered by the university (Not medicine, vet med ect) that fits into your timetable. A good rule to use would be if you can do a joint degree with it, you can do it.
    Thanks, I always wanted to do CS + a spoken language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Air1337)
    Thanks, I always wanted to do CS + a spoken language.
    You don't have to take a maths module mate - it is not compulsory just recommended as there will be a some mathematical elements to a few of the different modules on offer... However, it's easily avoidable.

As for the other subjects from Arts, Social/Sciences - have a look at the prospectus - You could for example do it with Business and German. These optional modules will slowly go down in size as you progress until finally you're focusing on the one core subject.

Hope this helps.

As for accommodation - I'd email them first as I'm sure it's a first come, first serve basis!

ReputationRep:
    Hey !

I am confirmed Computer Science for 2013, I think it is going to be much more of a major-minor discipline; common in most american colleges. Software Engineering doesn't mention anything about studying other disciplines . Any-ways where are you from ? and Where will you be staying ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awsmness)
    Hey !

I am confirmed Computer Science for 2013, I think it is going to be much more of a major-minor discipline; common in most american colleges. Software Engineering doesn't mention anything about studying other disciplines . Any-ways where are you from ? and Where will you be staying ?
    I'm from Spain and I still haven't applied for accommodation. Can't decide between QM, Cairncross and Murano Street. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I'm coming to the end of my gap year - way less exciting than I'd planned last September -but I was able to collect alot of info on the CS/SE courses last September.. I went to all the open days/applicant day.

Computer Science and Software Engineering follow an identical course for the first 2 years, CS or SE are 1/3 of first year, you then choose 2 other units to make up your timetable. If you haven't done Adv Higher Maths or A-Level A* then you are recommended to take Mathematics as an optional unit to open up further options in 3rd year.

From what I can gleam, you don't need to take 3 choices, you need to take 2 but the third is optional. The final choice don't contribute to any form of qualification. I was considering choosing something like Psychology that I've been interested in but never really had the chance to study.

If you are pursuing a joint honours or something of the sort then the 3 choices are chosen for you.

Hope this helps, and I guess I'll see you in September!

Niall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Air1337)
    I'm from Spain and I still haven't applied for accommodation. Can't decide between QM, Cairncross and Murano Street. How about you?
    Sounds Great !; I'm from Burma ( a Buddhist, my yoga is awesome ). I don't know much about Glasgow's accommodation options, Can you guide me a little ?
    I'm also interested in attending Glasgow's summer school, to get a taste of university life in the summer along with credits . You interested in attending summer school ? ( I hear Glasgow is lovely in summers)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awsmness)
    Sounds Great !; I'm from Burma ( a Buddhist, my yoga is awesome ). I don't know much about Glasgow's accommodation options, Can you guide me a little ?
    I'm also interested in attending Glasgow's summer school, to get a taste of university life in the summer along with credits . You interested in attending summer school ? ( I hear Glasgow is lovely in summers)
    I'll PM you now.

ReputationRep:
    It's also only the top half of the class who get the opportunity to do Software Engineering.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.