Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

iPhone 5 nano-sim card? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a sim-only contract with tmobile (a standard sim)

How do I go about swapping this sim for a nano-sim, keeping the current contract?

I'm buying an iPhone 5 sim-free from apple and am loath to start a new contract because it's a while until my current one ends.

Thanks for any help!!

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation when I bought my iPad Mini, as I already had a micro SIM card for it with a 3G contract in my old iPad, but wanted to swap the SIM for a nano SIM for my Mini while keeping the same contract. I just phoned my 3G carrier (Orange), explained the situation and then they sent a nano SIM out to me. I think transferring the 3G account to the nano SIM did require me making another phone call to Orange after I got the nano SIM.

ReputationRep:
    You can cut it down yourself with one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NANO-SIM-C...item5aeec6740e If you try and ask t-mobile they'll most likely try and get you to sign up to an iPhone contract which are always ridiculously overpriced. (Although my experience was with vodafone so might be different)

I would suggest you get a free payg sim from somewhere and try it on that first though, I practised on an old sim before I cut mine to a micro sim and did it the wrong way round on the practise one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TauMuon)
    I have a sim-only contract with tmobile (a standard sim)

How do I go about swapping this sim for a nano-sim, keeping the current contract?

I'm buying an iPhone 5 sim-free from apple and am loath to start a new contract because it's a while until my current one ends.

Thanks for any help!!
    You should be able to do it in any EE store- I can't speak for sim-only deals, but they were able to swap my normal-sim for a micro-sim for my 4S when its contract started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hrbrox)
    You can cut it down yourself with one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NANO-SIM-C...item5aeec6740e If you try and ask t-mobile they'll most likely try and get you to sign up to an iPhone contract which are always ridiculously overpriced. (Although my experience was with vodafone so might be different)

I would suggest you get a free payg sim from somewhere and try it on that first though, I practised on an old sim before I cut mine to a micro sim and did it the wrong way round on the practise one
    Yeah, he could cut the SIM down, though he would have to be very careful with it to make sure that he definitely knows what he's doing.

ReputationRep:
    If you go in store they should be able to give you a sim replacement for a nano sim

ReputationRep:
    They'll charge you £10 in store for a replacement sim.

Or you can risk cutting it down yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    They'll charge you £10 in store for a replacement sim.
    What carrier do you mean by 'they'? Orange sent me a replacement SIM for free, though I asked them for it over the phone rather than in store.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    What carrier do you mean by 'they'? Orange sent me a replacement SIM for free, though I asked them for it over the phone rather than in store.
    T-Mobile/EE

ReputationRep:
    Get one from a friend, draw around it and carefully cut it. My mate did it for me and I'm on giffgaff. Be careful though, too much and you'll be without a phone for 4 days or so.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 24, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.