The Student Room Group

History GCSE?

Is there a lot of essay writing in GCSE English? How much of it is source based? Learning facts are not a problem, but English is not easy for my son who is first language Spanish. Geography maybe easier for him. He has to do one or the other. Any advice welcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
yes gcse English does have a lot of essay writing but its not too demanding, i guess it depends on the grade that he is aiming for. Geography in my opinion is easier than History gcse, so maybe a better choice than histiory which requires you to write at a fast rate. however i thoroughly enjoyed history gcse and would say it is probably the most interesting but that is juts my opinion :smile:
Reply 2
That's the problem! I think history is more interesting but I think he will get a better grade in geography. Not helped by the fact that he is A* in all subjects apart from English (C) & maths (B). He got A* in both his recent history & geography exams. However, he did far better in the June yr 8 geography exam. Tough decision! The rest, biology, French, 1st language Spanish lang & lit. Maths & chemistry. Sociales- geog & hist in Spanish & Valenciano. I think he will only do Eng lang & not Eng lit. He has only been at an International school for a year. Hence the reason he is struggling in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Perhaps get your son a tutor, or speak to the school and ask them if they will allow an iGCSE in English, where it is easier to achieve for students who are international. English Language papers are only going to get a lot harder after last year's fiasco, so it might be better to get him enrolled, even privately if you have to for iGCSE English Language. iGCSE's are fully recognised, and do not disadvantage him in any way. Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Thanks! He is doing (i)GCSE English language. We do speak English at home-we live in Spain. He is more likely going to want to go to university here. But he still needs a C at English language. He needs to pass the Spanish exams & 5 iGCSE's. His English teacher thinks he should just do Eng lang & not Eng lit. Hence the worry over history!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending