Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is 8 hours a day of revision for GCSE too much? Watch

ReputationRep:
    8 hours is just too much. Although you may have different subjects to study 8 hours a night is too much. Your body and brain needs time to take all of it in, without breaks and that much time, it goes in one ear and comes straight out of the other. It's about the right revising strategy and once you've found that you may not even need to revise for an hour. It's all about what is right for you, but 8 hours is too much for your body. You'll begin to get worn down and your body won't have enough energy to even process all the information you're cramming into it. You need time to relax and breaks to be able to revisit it. 8 hours is too much topics and information for your mind to be able to remember everything

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you feel in terms of confidence.

If someone told you, you were about to sit the exam in that subject next week - would you fancy the chances of you getting the grade you want?

Personally, speaking as a current A2 student who's worked above and beyond to get the grades I want/need - 8 hours of GCSE maybe be a little too much EVERY DAY.

In 2011, some days (I remember like it was yesterday) for all my GCSE English Lang/Lit I use to spend most of the day revising those damn poems.

But you need a break from it, you need to give your brain gifts for working so hard. (Be it, for example, going out/eating something you probably shouldn't :rolleyes: /watching TV etc).

This is probably the longest post I've written on this forum, but if you can take at least something away from this post, be it this:

You can spend 12 hours working, but 0 hours revising. Are those 8 hours productive enough to allow you to remember any of it the next day?!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously 8 hours is too much, but GCSEs are very do-able. Really think about your revision, be wise. Precision and good time allocation is more important than doing as much as 8 hours a day. Do past papers to track your process, and always focus on the questions you get wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I think it will just about get you through, unless you are doing PSE, then you might want to go for around 9.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, for GCSE I'd say it was too much, you'd just end up getting bored nearer to the exams and that's something you don't want to do! I'd probably say 2-4 hours at a MAX.

ReputationRep:
    If you seriously think you need this amount of revision to get the grades you want, you should lower your expectations. Go out whilst you're still young and think GCSE's are hard!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. That will be counter productive

I would advise a maximum of 5, with regular breaks and plenty of snack

If your revision technique is good then you shouldn't need to do more that 3 hours a day

ReputationRep:
    Yes but it's worth it have breaks...

ReputationRep:
    4 hours with breaks is good. 8 is too much...

ReputationRep:
    Definitely too much, especially at this point. I left revision until two weeks before the exam for some of my subjects

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe that you will soon fatigue at that rate, and would recommend at GCSE that 5 hours a day should suffice. However, in saying that, it depends on your motivation and work ethic. GOOD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    Yes wayyyyy too much. I would say maximum 5 hours a day. But i mostly do 3 because I get sooo bored after that. I honestly am interested in how you are able to revise 8 hours a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not healthy, you're gonna burn out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCharlie)
    ^^^says it all.
    for GCSE, yes. definitely.
    A2, probably even still too much.

ReputationRep:
    I did about 7 or 8 hours for my upcoming mock exams yesterday. It got to a point, where to the end, I stopped remebering everything. Do about 3 or 4 hours max, and remember to have a break for a few minutes. It's always important to study, but cramming those amount of hours in one day is not that great :-) Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I can't even manage to do 8 hours a day revision for university.

I'm not sure how many exams you have but you should try 1-2 hours a week for each subject. That should be plenty. Then when you get nearer to individual exams you can spend extra time on them.

Don't forget to do things you enjoy to relax

ReputationRep:
    8 hours? That's the amount of revision I did the whole year never mind a day.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs are a waste of time, 5 GCSEs A-C is all you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatz07)
    no one wants A's... it's all about A* mate
    You can get them with "night before" revision though...

Although I'm not saying you should :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatz07)
    lol, I did that with my history exam a few months ago and scraped A* but I'm never doing that again! lol... I felt like rubbish the day after...
    Hmmm... I've done it quite a lot tbf, although I did do like a past paper for the sciences the prior week...

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.