Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is 8 hours a day of revision for GCSE too much? Watch

ReputationRep:
    8 Hours a day? WTF? you're young, use this time to have fun! Play sports, go to the cinema, take up a Martial Art, mess about with the opposite sex, dance, read, do whatever makes u happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatz07)
    no one wants A's... it's all about A* mate, A is bloody sickening puke... A* is the key to success. Use that as your motivation and I'm sure you will get the grades you want
    What do you mean use that as my motivation? I did my GCSEs years ago....

ReputationRep:
    8 Hours is way too much for GCSE... doing 4 hours a day now and i'm doing AS Exams... I'd recommend about 2-4 hours a day depending on how you feel each day tbh, just don't try and procrastinate too much but good luck

(Original post by iCharlie)
    Is 8 hours a day of revision for GCSE too much?
    If you have to ask then the answer is yes.

Darren

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely say that's too much, it might just stress you out and cause more harm than good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didnt do any revision for my gsces.. but if i did i reckon i could of gotten 11 a*s :P

to be honest if you come to do A levels and apply to university, you will only find that your GSCE are worth maybe 2 percent of what makes you a decidable candidate to oxbridge. Anywhere else is less likely to be fussed as long as you got Bs at least.

So don't burn yourself out on revision. 8 hours is overkill I struggle to do that for uni revision

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...I personally feel that this is far too much at this early stage in your academic career. I didn't do GCSEs, rather I did Standard grades which are the Scottish equivalent and managed to achieve very good marks without hardcore revision. 2 hours, or even just 1 hour, of focused, active revision should stand you in good stead.

ReputationRep:
    8 hours is too much. If you need 8 hours now you won't sleep when you're in uni!

ReputationRep:
    Anything more than 1 to 2 hours a day for GCSE is WAY too much LOL

ReputationRep:
    I think you knew what everyone would say.

I think you wanted to tell everyone you did 8 hours of revision.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    What I do is I do maybe 30-45 mins, maybe even an hr revision, depending on how I feel and that time is one sitting. I then take a break for 15 mins and do another subject.
    I think that helps because your mind can only concentrate for a certain amount of time so doing like 2hrs in one sitting just makes you unable to concentrate and then you lose your will to revise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no I don't think so - I'm studying for GCSEs now and am expecting straight A*'s (possibly an A in English though) and I'm doing around 8 hours a day - as long as you can manage it without feeling overtired and stressed I think it's fine

ReputationRep:
    There can never be too much time spend studying!!! Do what you feel is best. Your results will shine in the end!:bumps:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No that's way too much you are going to get tired out, especially if it's 8 hours straight. I would reccommend a minimum of 1 hour and a maximum of 4 hours. I wouldn't really do more than 3 hours unless it is end of year exams, otherwise topic tests only need just a few hours or a few minutes. Don't stress

ReputationRep:
    8 hours a day for GCSEs is frankly absurd.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I was planning on doing max 3 hours a day from like march 😂😅
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Go back to Mordor necromancers.

ReputationRep:
    I got 11A*s and did like 12 hour days during study leave but barely anything up until like a month before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may_1)
    I got 11A*s and did like 12 hour days during study leave but barely anything up until like a month before
    in hindsight, do you feel it was worth it? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stirkee)
    in hindsight, do you feel it was worth it? :P
    Yeah it's really helping me with my meds school application having strong gcses, although relying on this cramming method means I've remembered barely anything I learnt at all

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.