Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is 8 hours a day of revision for GCSE too much? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may_1)
    Yeah it's really helping me with my meds school application having strong gcses, although relying on this cramming method means I've remembered barely anything I learnt at all
    What about AS ?

"Im doing those at the moment*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aranexus)
    Less is more...
    But if less is more just think how much more "more" will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChiefKwen)
    What about AS ?

"Im doing those at the moment*
    Lol that method didn't quite work for AS I messed my AS's up and had to do loads of resits at A2, so for a2 I started doing like 12 hour days hardcore revision about 2 months before and across the exam period and that was enough to get A*AA, although I definitely still left it pretty last minute. Revising as you go along seems more effort at the time but is far far more effective. I wish I had done it !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may_1)
    Lol that method didn't quite work for AS I messed my AS's up and had to do loads of resits at A2, so for a2 I started doing like 12 hour days hardcore revision about 2 months before and across the exam period and that was enough to get A*AA, although I definitely still left it pretty last minute. Revising as you go along seems more effort at the time but is far far more effective. I wish I had done it !

May start 7 hour days now. So far i'm trying to do 8 hour days. Do you know which medical schools youre applying to ?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even started revising for my gcses yet...(current yr11)

ReputationRep:
    It really does depend on how you learn best. You could do long days and cram it all in during the last weeks, in the run up to your exams, or pace it out by doing an hour or two a day/ every few days.

If you're finding that doing 8 hours isn't too much and is beneficial then by all means go for it. Just don't over do it (easier said than done) and end up going over too much and none of it really sticking!

Personally, I never did that much, it just wouldn't help me - but good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    May start 7 hour days now. So far i'm trying to do 8 hour days. Do you know which medical schools youre applying to ?
    Yeah I have three interviews 😃 Leicester leeds bristol and cardiff.

Yeah 7 hour is quite long, for now I would suggest like 5 or 6 hour in moderation like I cannot stress how much less stressful making your revision materials and notes along the way rather Than all at the end like me is. Are you an effective crammer ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may_1)
    Yeah I have three interviews 😃 Leicester leeds bristol and cardiff.

Yeah 7 hour is quite long, for now I would suggest like 5 or 6 hour in moderation like I cannot stress how much less stressful making your revision materials and notes along the way rather Than all at the end like me is. Are you an effective crammer ?

It calms me down being familiar with the whole specification through cramming then when doing past papers patching up the holes in my knowledge
    I'd love to go to frikin leeds for medicine but I need to work hard

ReputationRep:
    It calms me down being familiar with the whole specification through cramming then when doing past papers patching up the holes in my knowledge
    I'd love to go to frikin leeds for medicine but I need to work hard
    Yeah that's literally the ideal way to do it 😃 I used question and answer flash cards and learnt all the knowledge first then did past paper after past paper to practice the style of question and see where my knowledge gaps were ! I didn't even apply to uni during year 13 because I had quite a few AS resits to do and I knew I wanted a gap year.

Leeds is like my dream med school I got my interview yesterday 😃 I'm sure you will do really well and get into leeds you definately have the right attitude 😃

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may_1)
    Yeah that's literally the ideal way to do it 😃 I used question and answer flash cards and learnt all the knowledge first then did past paper after past paper to practice the style of question and see where my knowledge gaps were ! I didn't even apply to uni during year 13 because I had quite a few AS resits to do and I knew I wanted a gap year.

Leeds is like my dream med school I got my interview yesterday 😃 I'm sure you will do really well and get into leeds you definately have the right attitude 😃
    I need to invest in some flash cards, they probably would have helped a lot during gcse aswell. thank you mane. I'm sure you'll get into most if not all of the unis you applied to with those grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llessur123)
    Well, it's better than none at all. Although if you need to do this much revision to get decent grades then you should really think about if doing a-levels is a good idea or if you're capable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think 8 hours is okay to spend studying. I think op is aiming for the highest of grades (which I believe need a lot of time of studying) so op could be more than capable of a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's too little. By your standards I assume you want perfect marks, and you'll need 13+ hours of revision for that. You should get to the point where I can say something like: What is on the 7th line on Page 73 of the 17th Chemistry Revision Guide, and detail why it is so. And you should be able to give me a word for word answer from the book.

ReputationRep:
    Hi May_1.

What techniques do you have for revision, im currently doing GCSE'. I find I learn best writing notes down and have a colour memory so I will remember something on a page that ive read. But not sure how to revise from this more effectively ?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.